SAU Community

Revolutionary Coilpack Fix!

frozenwaffles

ok, so i had a missfire just like everyone else...

time for new coils...splitfires...but wait i thought....

my coils all meter out fine, there is no visible cracks or signes of cracking or heat marks or anything...they look perfect! and the philosophy of 'looks like shit, smells like shit, feels like shit...must be shit' concept always reigns true to me...so...

i actually stopped and thought about this for a while...and passed the issue to a electronics and power genuis i know...

we thought about the manufacturing method of the coilpacks and what they are all about...

Nissan coilpack are atransformer coil. the metal you see on the outside of them is actually a whole series of plates that run through the coilpack and form the centre of the transformer...meaning there is a shitload of wire wrapped around that core inside the pack. once the pack has been made, resin is poured in the plastic box and is cured. this resin can break down over time (as is happening) and a crack can actually form inside from the centre that is completely invisible (obviously as its inside the coil, duh)

now the rails that the coilpacks live on is grounded, and if the paint where the bolts that hold the coilpack onto the rail has come off, then the core/plates are grounded too...and if you have a crack on the inside of the coil in the resin then the spark will never leave the coil that it is charged in..it will just ground straight away!!!

so how do we fix this (and this works):

i have used M10 fiber washers on either side of the M8 bolts that hold the two coilpack rails in...and i have also put heat shrink around the tops half of the M8 bolt so that it is completly insulated. this has worked perfectly and i have just run the car up on the dyno will full load and no breakup!!!

this has made my day! i saved $500 and will potentially have changed the skyline world forever!

i will post some diagrames and pictures soon...i there are also some refinements to this concept i have come up with to further to make it more failsafe...

for the record, my packs are not taped up as i could see no external cracks...

UPDATE: sorry guys but this hasnt worked long term...im sorry i jumped the gun but i was so excited...

the washers were bought from a Reece plumbing store...they are a fiber washer...

howver be aware that as part of my ongoing research into this fix, this washer is not the best 'permanent' solution. i am looking for a washer made from a material called mica. this is completly heat and chemical resistant. finding M8 and M4 mica washers is prooving hard but once i do i will let everyone know!

actually yes they would work great!

BUT...

it doenst matter anymore as this hasnt fixed the problem long term and while it work yesterday on the the dyno today it is breaking up. so splitfires for me!

WAFFLES DON`T DO IT :P DUDE PLEASE TRY THIS .OK I have sparyed my coil pack`s with CRC URETHAN SEAL COAT.THIS IS USED TO COAT WINDING`S ON ELECTRIC MOTOR`S,This seal`s them .I have mine sprayed for some 6 month`s & have had no problem`s.just give coil pack good clearn with scotch bright,then good wipe with prepsol,hang & spray(read disstruction`s) :P shakewell,4 or 5 coat`s don`t go :rofl: darft let them dry,may be one :/ a day.you can spray what colour you like then BLUE.Even get in touch with the OTHERSIDE :wacko: dude,see how you go,GOOD LUCK DUDE LET US KNOW THE BOBBY MOORE ,cheer`s chuckie. ps all my photo`s are big have reset camera, to take some more.

ok well its too late for the purchase and i have them in right now, but....

i will try what you say and then in stall the old ones.....

i beleive that unless we try thins then we dont ever push the boundries of life and while this idea of mine failed, i like your and will persist!

i'll find this paint as it sounds so perfect.

thankyou for the heads up!

at least i can take my time with the old coils and still drive me car....

with new plugs and the coils though, my car went from 188rwkw to 220rwkw as it has allowed the tune to keep progressing... i think we'll get 250 out of her yet and keep the economy!

ok well its too late for the purchase and i have them in right now, but....

i will try what you say and then in stall the old ones.....

i beleive that unless we try thins then we dont ever push the boundries of life and while this idea of mine failed, i like your and will persist!

i'll find this paint as it sounds so perfect.

thankyou for the heads up!

at least i can take my time with the old coils and still drive me car....

with new plugs and the coils though, my car went from 188rwkw to 220rwkw as it has allowed the tune to keep progressing... i think we'll get 250 out of her yet and keep the economy!

WAFFLES JUST SOME PHOTO`S OF SPARY CAN OK GOOD LUCK DUDE CHEER`S chuckiepost-36964-1200549995_thumb.jpgpost-36964-1200550147_thumb.jpgpost-36964-1200550450_thumb.jpg

Stripped mine all apart and cleaned them down with acetone the coated them twice with a good quality polyester resin ! No misfire for around a year. Very easy to do and works fine as the polyester resin seaps into the cracks catylises and is stable up to about 600 degrees C !

I had cracks in my coils that could only be seen by a camera in macro mode. In otherwords you would have needed a magnifying glass to view the beginning of the crack.

My coils were extremely bad popping and farting with anything over 10psi. I siliconed them up liberally and they have been good up to ~19psi but began experiencing the onset of missfire at the higher rpms.

So still good for 1bar and 268rwkw but not much more.

I had cracks in my coils that could only be seen by a camera in macro mode. In otherwords you would have needed a magnifying glass to view the beginning of the crack.

My coils were extremely bad popping and farting with anything over 10psi. I siliconed them up liberally and they have been good up to ~19psi but began experiencing the onset of missfire at the higher rpms.

So still good for 1bar and 268rwkw but not much more.

WELL GIVE THEM A GOOD CLEAN & TRY THIS ONE OUT SEE HOW YOU GO ????????,THIS COULD BE YOUR LUCKYDAY CUBES :blink: ,I HAD SOME PROBLEM `S I COULD NOT SEE ANY CRACK`S,LOOKED AT NIGHT NOTHING,THIS HAS SORTED MY COIL`S OUT :cool: GREAT JOB,1 THING I WILL SAY YOU CAN HAVE ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE :D .NOT THAT SHITTY SILICONE LOOK :) CHEER`S CHUCKIE

• 2 weeks later...