SAU Community

Gotta Put The Gtr Through Regency

slimjim

Hey guys

OK I've got a week off work now and thought I'd use it to organise the GT-R to get through Regency. It has to go for a full inspection because it doesn't have a compliance plate, but it has been complied, and was registered in NSW before I bought it.

So luckily the car is pretty much dead stock, but my issue is that I have to put a stock exhaust on I reckon to get it through, not because its noisy, but because it's a full turbo back.

Does anyone have a stock exhaust lying around for a R32 GT-R that I could borrow/buy for the inspection and what about a good place to fit it and take off after it's gone through? I don't have a booking for Regency set yet as I wanted to sort this exhaust out first.

Any ideas on how much $$$ a stockie would cost me and fitment at a workshop?

Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not illegal to have a modified exhaust, so long as

a ) it retains the cat and

b ) it's noise levels comply with ADR's.

I already called regency about it, that's what they told me. It does have to be the standard cat though. They're unlikely to hoist my car up and see that the cat is slightly larger than normal, but you owning an import, (especially a mighty GTR), they will probably try to find reason to not pass it.

It would be cheaper and better in the long run to just have a stock cat put in there, if you don't have one, rather than replacing the entire exhaust. Just get them to test the noise level when you get the cat installed. If it's too loud, add a resonator, or replace the muffler. That way your exhaust will be street legal and you have one less reason to be defected in the future.

Of course call regency first to make sure that the car can be complied with a modified exhaust - my car is australian delivered, so the rules may be different.

Edited by doommachine

It's not illegal to have a modified exhaust, so long as

a ) it retains the cat and

b ) it's noise levels comply with ADR's.

I already called regency about it, that's what they told me. It does have to be the standard cat though. They're unlikely to hoist my car up and see that the cat is slightly larger than normal, but you owning an import, (especially a mighty GTR), they will probably try to find reason to not pass it.

It would be cheaper and better in the long run to just have a stock cat put in there, if you don't have one, rather than replacing the entire exhaust. Just get them to test the noise level when you get the cat installed. If it's too loud, add a resonator, or replace the muffler. That way your exhaust will be street legal and you have one less reason to be defected in the future.

Of course call regency first to make sure that the car can be complied with a modified exhaust - my car is australian delivered, so the rules may be different.

Ahh ok, I thought it was illegal to modify an exhaust before the cat, but if that's what Regency told you, I might not have to do anything to get it through.

I haven't looked under the car for more than a few seconds, it has what looks like a cat, but I'd be fairly certain its not the stock one. It smells like its running rich, because of that my mate reckons its a pre-silencer. I should probably have a closer look.

I'm pretty sure noise isn't an issue, it has a muffler, not like a milo tin 5 incher hehe.

EDIT - forgot to ask if any cat can be fitted to a 3 inch exhaust or do I have to source a R32 one?

Edited by slimjim

I can almost GUARANTEE if it is an aftermarket exhaust it will be too loud IF they test it.

You'd be surprised at just how quiet the limit really is.

Best bet would be to get hold of a standard exhaust if you can.

If it's illegal to mod the exhaust before the cat, then lots of V8's need to be defected for extractors :).

Anyway, like I said, borrowing an exhaust is a bandaid fix. Really, you should try to get the car modified to be legal, as is, for daily driving. It's a GTR skyline - cop bait, unfortunately. Look how many people have gotten exhaust/EPA defects on this forum, and their exhaust has been tested at an inspection station and passed.

Just make sure you have a cat and get it tested for noise - any good exhaust shop will be able to do it. They will also be able to make it quieter for you.

No point borrowing these items cos when you get defected again(It may happen) then you still have your stockie stuff to put back on again......just like everyone else.

There is no point getting it made to be legal because the Transort SA "legal mods" are sh1t!!! unless you mod it hard and get it engineered!

Grab some thinish sheet metal and cut it to suit the rear mufflers flange. Drill some largish holes and slip it inbetween the two flanges. Should make it nice and quiet.

Dont boot it. :)

Edited by Cubes

Grab some thinish sheet metal and cut it to suit the rear mufflers flange. Drill some largish holes and slip it inbetween the two flanges. Should make it nice and quiet.

Dont boot it. :)

True to that but don't keep it in, only put it in the day/night before and take out straight away, as it would be restricting the flow a little!

i just packed mass steel wool in my old rota's muffler, and the bloke knew!!

he said on first inpection, that you can put a plate in between the flanges with holes in it, but i couldnt be stuffed. :lol:

The legal noise limit for a six cylinder engine is <90 db at 3200 rpm. Using steel wool will work but make sure it doesn't come out when getting tested (guy from Regency told me this had happened).

I used a baffle plate to get through. It can be a lot of work trying to source a stock exhaust system.

I'm not exacrly sure ( it's been several years now since being pulled over by an over zealeous sargent at eliz ) and was tested at the road side with the mic directly behind the exhuast at a steady 3500rpm which is illegal and foriegn to how cars are adr tested!But my point being is that our car came in a couple of db under the required limit for a late model skyline (each limit is model specific ) it had a local made dump pipe high flow american race cat,a 4" dia resonator and the muffler that the car came to aus with (jasma). So it is possible to have your cake and eat it to, but a word of warning several of the exhaust makers (local ) have a reputation for constantly being over this limit!

Regards,

SKYLINE...(kym) B)

Limit is 90dB for all cars manufactured after 1983.

Exhaust Noise

The exhaust systems on vehicles manufactured on or after 1st January, 1974 must at the time of first registration

comply with ADR 28 - Motor Vehicle Noise.

In service all vehicles must comply with the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 1999 Part 10 Division 3 – Noise Emissions.

For passenger cars, derivates and panel vans manufactured on or after 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 90 dB(A).

Passenger cars, derivates and panel vans manufactured before 1 January 1983 the stationary noise level when tested must not exceed 96 dB(A).

Yes, 90 dB is quiet, I can't imagine how high the reading on most exhausts out there would be!

But I'm a fan of the exhaust that's on the GTR at the moment, not entirely sure of the brand, but has an excellent note, no drone, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't raise too much attention from the cops when it goes back on after Regency (fingers crossed) :blink:

i thought if the car was already complianced and registered in a different state all it needed to go in for is a VIN and chasis check..... my mate just bought an r33 gtst with an exhaust that was definitly louder than 90 dB at that rev range and his went straight through!

i thought if the car was already complianced and registered in a different state all it needed to go in for is a VIN and chasis check..... my mate just bought an r33 gtst with an exhaust that was definitly louder than 90 dB at that rev range and his went straight through!

Yeah. Mine didn't pass because for some stupid reason, it doesn't have a compliance plate anywhere on the car. Just a NSW Modification plate, which isn't worth anything over here.

So because of that I have to get a full roadworthy, then I guess I get exemption from a comp. plate or they give me one or something. Either way I just wanna get the damn thing on the road!