SAU Community

New Alarm

blind_elk

Just had a new alarm installed. It has engine and fuel immobilisers.

My old alarm, the immobiliser wouldn't activate unless the key was removed from the ignition. If the immobiliser had activated, all I had to do was press one of the buttons, even with ignition in ON position, the immobiliser would deactivate, and I could start the engine.

This new one - it activates about 30 sec after the engine is turned off. Even if I leave the keys in the ignition, the immobiliser will eventually activate. Then I have to activate the alarm (locks doors) then de-activate it before I can start the engine.

This means that even for something simple like buying fuel, to leave the servo I need to lock myself in the car, then unlock the car before I can start the engine. And the ignition cannot be ON to do this - it has to be in the ACC position.

This seems damn stupid - is it supposed to be like this? Does anyone else have an alarm that works like this?

Greg,

Theres usually small switches on the alarms control unit that give you control of these sort of features. Other than that some alarms can be adjusted by holding down the remote buttons in certain sequences.

Did it come with a instruction manual?

The guy that installed it (at my "tame" Autobarn) reckons that's the way they all work now.

Didn't get a manual, but will ask next time I see them (need to pick up my new DBA4000 rears). Must find out the brand while I'm about it.

With the old one, as I said, I could hit either of the buttons, even when IGN = ON and disable the immobiliser. Really seems stupid to have to lock yourself in the car first, just because you stopped the engine for a minute to do something.

so what's stopping you from going back to accessories and hitting any button? You shouldn't need to arm it to disarm it.

My alarm will let me disarm in acc or ON...

turn car off, leave keys or take them with me, fill up, pay, open door, key into ignition, turn to ON, press remote button to disarm immobiliser and give me ignition, start car.

My Mongoose alarm works in the same fashion too RANDY. However if I turn my ignition to ON while my alarm is armed, then it chirps continuously until i either disarm it, or turn back to ACC.

Blind: I know that if my car arms itself, then I still have to disarm it before I can drive away, as all it has done is armed the immobiliser and not the whole alarm. But I have never heard of an alarm that makes you arm it, even after it has armed itself, then disarm it.

- Crimpage.

so what's stopping you from going back to accessories and hitting any button? You shouldn't need to arm it to disarm it.
But that's what I have to do. I have to literally lock myself IN the car, then unlock before I can start the engine.
My alarm will let me disarm in acc or ON...
As did my previous alarm. With this new one, I need to do it with IGN = ACC - cannot do it with IGN = ON.
turn car off, leave keys or take them with me, fill up, pay, open door, key into ignition, turn to ON, press remote button to disarm immobiliser and give me ignition, start car.

My old alarm only activated the immobiliser once I had removed the keys from the ignition (as does yours). This one activates once the engine has stopped. The keys can still be in the ignition (like when I'm waiting outside a shop while my passenger goes in for something), and the immobiliser will activate 30 seconds after the engine is stopped.
My Mongoose alarm works in the same fashion too RANDY. However if I turn my ignition to ON while my alarm is armed, then it chirps continuously until i either disarm it, or turn back to ACC.
Let me clarify - I'm only complaining about the immobiliser here - if the alarm is on, then the doors are locked, and I can't get in the car anyway.

I could do this with the previous alarm, too. If the immobiliser had activated, and I tried to start the engine, then the siren will beep - I simply press one of the buttons (IGN still ON), then the immobiliser is de-activated, and I can start the engine.

But I have never heard of an alarm that makes you arm it, even after it has armed itself, then disarm it.
It needs to be FULLY armed ie doors locked, then disarmed before the car will start after the immobiliser has activated. That's the annoying part of it.

• 4 weeks later...

i probably spent a fair bit more on my alarm then most people here...

my immobiliser wont activate until 30 seconds after the turbo timer stops OR 45 seconds after the alarm is armed OR 30 seconds of no activity (ie, jump out of the car with the keys but dont lock the car for any reason)...

the anti hijack subroutine will run everytime the drivers side door is opened and closed... (this is pretty annying, cause if you want to get out for a short while, you have to leave the door open...)

the car will not start, or even notice the key is in the ignition unless the immobiliser has been dissarmed, which is easily done...

plus if any of the many sensors go off, the car will call me and let me know...

what? im not paranoid...

my immobiliser/alarm arm as soon as the car is not running after 40 seconds.. this includes when listening to just the stereo.. which means I have to press the button to disarm it otherwise it goes off when I try to start the car..

personally this isn't really a bad thing.. it means if I leave the car atleast somone can't just get in and start it and drive off (unless it's under 40secs)..

it arms the immobiliser - however the sensor alarm isn't armed until you lock the car..

if I turn the ignition on without disabling the immob. the alarm goes off..

I can sit around do everything I want, listen to stereo, turn lights on.. just not put the car to on..