SAU Community

Buying A Skyline

Ive read around the forum, and found most of the answers to my questions, apart from a few.

1. How do i check if the car is stolen, from either Aust or Japan? I know about the blue plate, but who can i ring to check and what car info would i need to provide them.

2. Buy from a dealer or private? I'm looking at dealers, but not sure where they are. So far, went to SEI imports in Dandy. Answer through experience please.

3. What about buying one that has yet to be imported, like the ones on Prestige Automotive site.

4. Anything else i should look for?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Whats your budget?

If you finances permit, purchase the car locally rather than importing. There are some fantastic bargains to be found from private sellers, however purchasing from a dealer gives you some fallback in case something goes wrong even though this peace of mind comes with a higher price tag.

If your buying a car thats already registered, do a REVS check on the car and have a competant workshop thoroughly inspect the car you want to buy inside and out.

Whats a REVS check? Is it the vicroads check? ie VIN and Rego number?

RACV check good enough? cause i dont want to be paying everytime i see a skyline i like.

Budget: 17k

Edited by N13Astra

hey man u can find out if its stolen etc n like the original color of da car etc. from a program called fast

but its like 200mb per file so iz up 2 u if u wanna download it.

gud luk wit the cars

lol thats what i rememba u can c dat my memorys not da gud

lol

thanx 4 the correction

yeh dawg and yo engrish aint good either yo.

REVS check will tell you if any money is owed on the car etc.

Buying ones from like prestige etc can be a long process, might find it may be a bit cheaper than buying locally or via a dealer, BUT it may also be a bit more expensive depending on what car you buy etc.

So how would one go about checking up on a car that is not compiled. Seeing as you cant drive the car to a reputable mechanic? Will a rev's check still be worth while? The car im particularly thinking of is sitting at a Mr Muffler shop, so they may help with a check?

This is for a car that was imported by 'someone' and selling it after getting it compiled and rego'd for the buyer.

• 2 weeks later...
So how would one go about checking up on a car that is not compiled. Seeing as you cant drive the car to a reputable mechanic? Will a rev's check still be worth while? The car im particularly thinking of is sitting at a Mr Muffler shop, so they may help with a check?

This is for a car that was imported by 'someone' and selling it after getting it compiled and rego'd for the buyer.

Hi, There was a post by merli, in the Tutorials section - (a sticky) - there is some good info on checking the car, if its been stolen and so on. I used that list when I was looking at a couple of skylines today - really worthwhile. The other thing is, Im gonna be using RACV testing as well - just to make sure. But i think if your going through a dealer, ask for all reciepts as well - so you know how much has been spent.

Matt

Alright, seeing as I am in the market for another Skyline, I have been looking up on all this as well... I'll tell you how it goes...

1. REVS Check

When someone takes out a loan for the car, they have the option to get a "secured" loan, which means, if they can't pay the repayments on it, then they give permission for the bank to take and sell the car to get their money back.

So, if they owe money on the car still and sell it to you. Then stop paying their repayments, the bank is well within their rights to come and take your nice new car, and sell it. Leaving you with nothing more than a bank loan... not good.

Requires 2 identifiers. VIN & Rego = easiest.

2. Nissan FAST Software

This can tell you all the specs about the car they way it left the factory. Engine type, Paint colour, interior, options etc... If you notice that it left the factory being gunmetal grey, and its now white... watch out... Basically, use this to make sure everything matches the way it is now, to the way it left the factory.

Now, someone might just not like gunmetal, but it might have also been in a pran and been resprayed, or been resprayed in aus / japan as a "rebirth".

These are the two best things to check... I wouldn't buy a skyline without doing it. Otherwise, there is a great writeup on here about things to check when buying a new skyline... But I can't remember who did it, or where it is :| but wont take long to find / have someone post a link to it :rant:

- Crimpage

Whats a REVS check?  Is it the vicroads check?  ie VIN and Rego number?

RACV check good enough? cause i dont want to be paying everytime i see a skyline i like.

Budget: 17k

as said by others above, it's just a check to make sure the car can't re repossessed because someone owes money on it.

it's free, or $12 if you want a certificate... see here: http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/

as said by others above, it's just a check to make sure the car can't re repossessed because someone owes money on it.

it's free, or $12 if you want a certificate... see here: http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/

umm no. its free to check, but to have protection against repo u need to purchase the certificate the day before u buy the car.