SAU Community

R33 S1 & Fmic

HI everyone,

If i got a FMIC for an R33 Series 1, will it still do a better job than the stock one, even if i run with the stock front bar? I know that obviously it wont get as much airflow, but the stock front bar looks really restrictive...

Just wondering if I should wait to get a FMIC until i get a new front bar?

Thanks,

- Crimpage

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be better than the standard Sidemount Intercooler (SMIC) if it's mounted something like this:

Grill_Side_Front.jpg

So no, you don't need to upgrade your front bumper if you can fit the FMIC in a decent location on the stock bar.

Cool, thanks for the responses. Al, that was the other thing I was thinking, as I didnt really want to replace the bar... I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Cheers,

Crimpage.

Al thats a nice front bar mod man. Did you do that yourself or someone do it for you?? I've got the same front bar with my fmic but i have only cut enough away so that it fit. Been meaning to do same sort of thing as that.

hey Al, i just bought a type M front bar just like yours, though it hasn't been modded yet so i get more air for the cooler, i just want to know how your's is so clean after cutting the opening in the middle, ive seen alot of mods, though yours is the best to date, did you have to get a panel beater to clean it up after trimming or what?i hope mine is just as good when cut

thanks

depends on the bar....

my old type M used to boogie with my ARC cooler and i didnt chop shit out off the front bar

u should side mount the plate and hit chaps straight after too

Not really.......

I have seen plenty of the early type bars with a neater install. Bassically that fmic, in Winks post, is too far forward, that is why the bar had to be chopped so much and indicators removed. I was compairing the two bars b4 i posted and the indicators are in the same position, the fmic appear to be the same size and mounted at the same height, but the depth of the bar is very shallow, indicating that the bar is a little to forward.

Was just about finished typing my reply and adding pics, then my computer frooze up ...................... :(

The bar was cut to just clear the fmic and allow max'm air flow, while keeping as much "depth" as possible. If you are using mesh you will need a 10mm gap betwwen the fmic and the edges of the bar.

The off cuts were then taken to a plastic welder, plenty around just look in the yellow pages, to seal the "cut outs"/holes. I only got the cuts i made sealed and the other gaps, from factory, were left as they were. The bar was then preped and repainted.

post-1811-1136767330.jpg

yeah i had that problem with my fmic install, the indicators hit on the IC. I moved it back a bit but it still pushed them out a bit. Been meaning to get around to fix it up one day.

Do you have the optional fog lights in your front indicator assyembly?

Mine did and i had to buy new indicators, as the fog lights made the assy deeper, thus was hitting the fmic.

You can buy the standard indicators new from Nissan dealership for $75ea ($150pr)

with a type m front like al's will i have any problems fitting my hybrid fmic?

If it is a genuine Hybrid fmic, no you wouldn't, as i installed my mates genuine Hybrid fmic and moded the bar as required. Finished result was like mine.

The copies may be the same, but i have not seen them installed.

PS: The fmic is mounted so far back the the rear, bottom half, of the standard thermo/aircon fan is filed down a little.

Al: What does the FMIC connect to if you push the FMIC back?

I mean were there brackets used to attach the top half of the fmic to the car rails?

Above car is mine. :( I cbf making it look good yet. Too poor. Hence crappy looking front bar.

Al: What does the FMIC connect to if you push the FMIC back?

I mean were there brackets used to attach the top half of the fmic to the car rails?

Above car is mine. :( I cbf making it look good yet. Too poor. Hence crappy looking front bar.

My fmic was custom fitted, it has 2 support brackets on the bottom and 1 support bracket at the top, in the middle.

My mates' (more than one) have the genuine Hybrid kit fitted. It comes with 2 long support brackets for the bottom and 2 short brackets for the top. We fitted these brackets as discribed, modified the rear housing of the thermo/aircon fan and the end result was like mine.

I have seen other 33's with the same bar as yours, but have kept their std indicators in place, all using various fmic kits.

Unfortunately without seeing your install it is hard to determine why your fmic is so far forward. I really hope i have not offended you, as it was not my intension.

My fmic was custom fitted, it has 2 support brackets on the bottom and 1 support bracket at the top, in the middle.

My mates' (more than one) have the genuine Hybrid kit fitted.  It comes with 2 long support brackets for the bottom and 2 short brackets for the top.  We fitted these brackets as discribed, modified the rear housing of the thermo/aircon fan and the end result was like mine.

I have seen other 33's with the same bar as yours, but have kept their std indicators in place, all using various fmic kits.

Unfortunately without seeing your install it is hard to determine why your fmic is so far forward.  I really hope i have not offended you, as it was not my intension.

ahh... yea i only put in the brackets for the bottom. There was no other brackets for the top. :rofl:

Nah not at all..

My car is a unique turd :(

so would it be best to fit the i/c first, then mod the front bar - take the off cuts to a plastic welder, and then respray?

YES, spot on.
btw how much did it cost to weld the offcuts????

Did it about 4yrs back, but i think my mate paid about $80-$120. That included preping the area, ready for painting. The painter then preped the bar, as a whole, b4 painting.