SAU Community

Events? What Do You Want

Mud

What type of events do you want  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd pay for memeber ship if you had private (closed) Drift days/half days at QR. Say like no more then 10 on the track at once, each group of 10 is sorted by skill.

These are available as Paul organises these days and will place you in a group of like-ability people and cars. He runs a brilliant day and it is fairly cheap considering how many laps you get!

But I still think we should start making Membership a must-have for some of these events. Otherwise the reasons for joining are diminished.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have attended countless track days over the past 4 years and I always carry all of my own gear there which includes a full set of track rims, 20L of spare fuel, tools, jacks, chairs, food.  And the GTR has no tow bar. . . . .  or my old GTST.  Why do people make out that track days are so hard and there is a 90% chance you are going to kill your car????

Exactly, now everyone knows I can drive for crap, and on each of the drift days i went to, not one went by without me having a highspeed paddock bash.

As long as you turn for the corners and actually know that your car is properly maintained and mechanically sound, then why not go have a go?

These are available as Paul organises these days and will place you in a group of like-ability people and cars. He runs a brilliant day and it is fairly cheap considering how many laps you get!

But I still think we should start making Membership a must-have for some of these events. Otherwise the reasons for joining are diminished.

Who is paul? More details :P

Who is paul? More details  :P

Paul is the one who maintains the Time Attack thread and organises the track days at QR. All details on the forums if you just have a bit of a look. Also organises the pizza nights to view all footage from previous track days (good for a laugh) also the best pizza in town!! All you can eat for $15.

Hey jason, i'm a newbie on SAU but will definitely be interested in skid pan events and was wondering what sort of deal you had gotten in the past because one of my colleagues with an RB 180SX has gone to learn drift technique. He told me that mt cotton offer what i think he called drift expression sessions on friday nights and sat. mornings for only $80. Which is for a maximum of 12 cars per few hour session

P.S. thanks for seconding my nomination of andrew chapman as a top tuner :P

I have only ever gone on the skidpans organised by SAU, the pricing and time on the track sounds very similar. I would say it is a pretty standard type thing through all the driving schools.

Andrew is good, sooooo much REAL experience to draw from when talking to him about modding your car properly, he is just VERY up front and can't deal with know it all ricers so some people find him quite offensive. Oh and don't rush him :P

Membership doesnt cost much and if you were to buy a new set of tyres you would recoup the outlay. To me it was an easy option as this site has given me much more than any mechanic/workshop could and as a non member I could get all this (except the discounts) but I wanted to show my thanks and support, plus having a vote in the leadership.

Membership doesnt cost much and if you were to buy a new set of tyres you would recoup the outlay. To me it was an easy option as this site has given me much more than any mechanic/workshop could and as a non member I could get all this (except the discounts) but I wanted to show my thanks and support, plus having a vote in the leadership.

I voted for more track/motorsport type events... Though i would prefer to do these during the cooler months of the year, as personally, i think its just a tad too hot at the moment to be out racing at QR :P I had an absolute blast at the Saturday Afternoon Sprint that i attended a few months ago, and when the weather starts cooling down, i will be out there again :P

Skidpans are always good (prefer not to do LVMA as it killed my tyres last time)

As for other activities... i wouldn't mind the occasional sunday cruise to somewhere, and also, i like the idea of meeting up in a park somewhere for a bbq and chat every couple of weeks or something..

Skirmish is always a go-er with me :(

I have attended countless track days over the past 4 years and I always carry all of my own gear there which includes a full set of track rims, 20L of spare fuel, tools, jacks, chairs, food.  And the GTR has no tow bar. . . . .   or my old GTST.   Why do people make out that track days are so hard and there is a 90% chance you are going to kill your car????

late afternoon waterpump changes in the warwick repco carpark usually scares people off, ah fond memorys of slips 31. lol. nah most fun i have had in a long time was at morgan park, i went to qr track day once but my car wasnt tuned right but i still had fun smashing a hsv gto in a straight line run

qr is asaa(i think thats the acronym they use) so cams has nothing to do with it.

i will attend any event going when i have more time on my plate. skirmish and go karts were organised a while back and both were and absolute blast and would definatly go karting at darlington park again to see glenn post some of the slo... er i mean fastest lap times you will ever see outta a gtr driver

....definatly go karting at darlington park again to see glenn post some of the slo... er i mean fastest lap times you will ever see outta a gtr driver

rofl... thanks for bringing that up again James B)

over 10 members said that they would come for the event but only Will, Jason, you, Eug and myself turned up ;)

I loved the cruise I went on a year ago, through Cunningham gap to Toowoomba for a BBQ and back to Briz. I'd be on more cruises, but as a lot of you know my car has been about dead all year. This years mission is to get it sorted and attend more social events.

Track Days. I can throw my 2 cents in here. (for anyone who doesn't know, I'm Paul the guy who does the TimeAttack thread, used to be gtrman1992, oh yea, BTW when is someone going to make my new thread sticky!!!)

To run a track day you have to get organised and have 100% commitment from those who say they will attend. The 2006 booking terms read "a 20% holding deposit at least 6 months in advance of the hire date; a confirmation of a further 50% of the hire fee 30 days before the hire date; and the balance of 30% is to be paid one week prior to the hire date. In the event of a cancellation, QR will refund any monies deposited when a hire of equal or greater value can be substituted."

Last year it cost $6050 for a Saturday ($3630 half day), $7150 for a Sunday ($4290 half day). Plus insurance, plus Ambulance. This years weekend rates are POA. When I called (in December) about a half day Saturday for 2006 there were about 2 or 3 spots left for the year.

I currently have 260 people on my email list to put together the track days I run. For example, for my next track day on 21 Feb I currently have 16 bookings and only a handful of payments.

In summary, I don't want to sound like a wet blanket. Track days are great fun, if SAU had one I'd be there and I would help organise it, if you guys wanted my input. My point is, when people say they want a track day, make sure you mean it as there is a large financial risk at stake !

Paul

PS: The next track day pizza night is on Sunday Jan 29th, $15 all you can eat garlic bread, pizza and a coffee afterwards. We have a video lined up of the great moments from last year that will be shown on a projector screen. If you want to come just send me a PM.

End of Ramble :)

There seem to be lots of interest in more track days.

However there are plenty of track days held by Mountainrunner. I suggest we attend these and ensure we have enough people on board that are comfortable competeing before we have an event entireley to our own.

So lets see if we can piggy back onto these, is that OK Paul??

Same goes for skid pan days.

Daytime cruisies. too easy. We might work on one every second month?

Daytime meets ups, BBQ etc. One every other month?

Night time Non motoring events, one a month?

Thursday night, maybe once a month (see how we go)

Show and Shine, not much interest here (I was the only vote, cause my car looks pretty)

I really think these would be a good way to increase club membership, and showcase the great number and quality of cars we have. A bit like a MSC, but not going anywhere. We can organise prizes and stuff too.

I'd like to point out that I am "Events Co-Ordinator" only and will help Co-Ordinate these events only.

If you wanna plan do anything we'll do our best to get it up and going and help out.

As things get organised we'll need volunteers to help out, I'm sure we can count on you all :P

Cheers Mud

It seems quite odd the the major request for track events, when Paul has been running them very well for the last 12 months or so... and anybody on here has always been able to get involved by simply sending a simple PM or email to him. It's pretty much an 'unofficial' SAU track day anyhow.

A lot of people seem to be hesitant because of the requirement of having to go mid-week, but unless you want to pay a hell of a lot more money, and like Paul has said the scarcity of available days open on a weekend -- weekday is the only choice.

These are why you have holidays people!! It's only one day. And even if you have to take it off unpaid, just do it. Half a day on the race track is pretty much one of the best ways to spend your time if you like adrenaline, and it seems insane that you'd rather be at work than racing around on a track at 100-200km/hr constantly. It's one of the biggest rushes you can do. No cops, no speed limits, no dickheads -- just fun, and some light competition of comparing your time slips to other cars.

The total cost of the day ends up being about $200 when you factor in about $80 petrol (there/track/back).. and $120 for the hire.. That's not much every couple of months.

Mud, that is no problem.

If you want I could group SAU / Skyline drivers so your all together on track and in the pits. It would be like a club subset of the event.

So far I only have 5 Skylines booked in for the Feb 21 Track Day. Hopefully in the next few weeks the bookings will start filling up.

Paul