SAU Community

Overheating Consequences?

ToF

Hey guys,

Just got my water pump replaced and on the way home my radiator decided to leak. During that drive home I had to pull over about 8 times to fill up water cause it all leaked out and it overheated.

I never let it get to H, but the highest point I let it get to each time is shown in this pic:

temp.jpg

Now I am getting the radiator fixed asap but I just want to know what was the worst that getting it that hot numerous times is. If someone says my motor is now cooked I'm gonna be pissed off because this motor was quite healthy. :D

Thanks everyone.

Probably depends more on how you topped it up each time. You need to keep the engine running while you slowly add the water, otherwise you risk cracking the block or head when this huge slug of cold water suddenly starts circulating.

If you kept the gauge off full-scale, then it's unlikely any serious damage was caused.

The RB motors were designed to handle quite a lot of abuse. Over-engineered to a degree. If it starts and runs without any new noises, you've probably gotten away with it =-]