SAU Community

Should I Buy This Microtech?

DRFT 14

After finding out that the LINK LEM which was suitable for my budget ($970) cannot work on the NEO RB25DET due to it's Continous Variable Valve Timing, I am now looking at other brands. I have come accross this unit on Trademe.co.nz (NZ's equivilet of EBAY-Im located in NZ).

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-45485466.htm

It is a Microtech LT12s. Ive done a bit of research and it seems like these ECU's are pretty well priced ($1500AUS brand new). I tried emailing Microtech and asking if this unit can handle the the NEO's Continous Variable Valve Timing but they still havnt replyed. Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Also, this particular unit is wired and tuned to run a BMW motor. Will it be possible to rewire this into the 25t without having to buy a new loom from Microtech? And since this is tuned for a BMW, will this add alot to the cost of the tuning or will it not make a difference?

So basically -

1. Can the LT12s run an R34 motor?

2. Should i buy this particular unit and save around $600-$700 or will these savings be offset by the tuning and wiring modifications needed? (BMW-->R34).

3. Failing that, what other ecu's do you recoment for the NEO RB25DET?

P.S I cant go with a Power FC as this motor is in my S14 Silvia and has a cut wiring looom and no ECU. So a wire-in unit is what im after.

Cheers :)

I'm not so sure you're right about the variable inlet cam timing.

I'm running a NEO in my R33 using the stock R33 computer.

The VCT in the R33s is run differently than in the R34s I think. While the R33 is more an on/off calibration, the R34 setup is suposedly variable. That said, it definitely works with the R33 computer running the R34 VCT and I believe that the difference you would get would be marginal.

In the end it's just an oil solenoid.

What I'd be looking for is an ecu that has the following:

1. Easy connectivity to the R34 loom

2. Well supported by your trusted tuner

3. Fits your budget

So what your saying is that since my original ecu of choice, the LINK, works with R33's it should also work on the R34? This makes sense, since you were able to run the NEO motor with your R33 computer then the LINK should also run my NEO.

Can anybody else confirm? Id really like to get the LINK LEM, as it is perfectly suited to my budget and is probably the most recognised computer by tuners in NZ. This is the link to it-

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...on-45601429.htm

No - I'm not saying that as I have no experience in Link ECUs.

What I'm saying is that I'm running a NEO on a stock R33 ECU with no issues.

From that it could be inferred that any ECU that will run an R33 will run an NEO - as you have done.. :)

The only issue I can see is that the plugs on the R33 and R34 ECUs are different so you could have some wiring issues there..

P.S I cant go with a Power FC as this motor is in my S14 Silvia and has a cut wiring looom and no ECU. So a wire-in unit is what im after.

Personally, my first choice would be to get an R34GTT loom and a Power FC. My second choice would be an R33GTST loom and power FC. My third choice would be an R32GTST loom and a Power FC. Myfourth choice would be to "wire in" the Power FC, its no harder to wire in a PFC in than any other computer.

It a simple the cost / performance ratio, you will spend far more money on getting the base tuning of any other ECU compared to a PFC than buying a harness will cost.

:P cheers :)

Edited by Sydneykid

Ive been quoted between $600-$800+ for an R34 Loom. Add that to the re-wiring costs into the S14 and the price of the PFC itself and ive got a very expensive ECU set-up on my hands.

However, I still have the original custom RB20DET loom sitting in my Silvia (old motor was an RB20 which ran a bearing). Is it impossible to use the RB20 loom on the NEO motor? All the sensors and plugs-wiring is there, the loom is cut at the firewall. Then theres the issue of the actual RB20 ECU plug which will not fit an R33-R34 PFC..

You also mentioned that is no harder to wire in a PFC in than any other computer. Can you explain this further? How would you go about 'wiring-in' a plug in computer? Does the PFC come in a wire-in option?

Edited by DRFT 14

I'd grab an R33 engine and chassis loom. It should be cheaper and will only require a small re-wire to the CAS and a new plug for the VCT.

That is if your NEO engine didn't already come with an engine harness.

Im abit of a stuborn bastard, so im going with the LINK. Cant beat a wire-in unit for $970 . My auto electrician does his work really cheap so wiring it up will only be a couple of hundred. And if caminperth ran his NEO with an R33 ECU then I dont see why the LINK wont run it.

Cheers guys :O

just wondering why you've elected the link over the powerfc?

to wire in either is still going to be labour and will still cost similar amounts.

the link and powerfc are no different as far as installation is concerned, both have wires with pins and the car has a bunch of wires, just need to match them.

Who started the variable VVT on R34s?

Not many ECUs can do variable VVT but Rank rotary have just setup an XR6 Turbo with a Wolf and setup the variable VVT using a variable output the Wolf has that is variable  every 125rpm.

I bet they lost power, drivability and economy over the standard PCM.

people, i'm considering myself to transplant a NEO RB25DET into my car as well, but currently have a MINES ECU running the whole thing. would i be able to use that ECU and my existing loom to wire it all up?...also any other complications that i might encounter?

The PFC is $1500 plus i need an AFM. The LINK is $970. Im getting confused at how poeple are saying the PFC is just as easy to 'wire in' as a LINK. I was under the impression that PFC is a plug in ecu. How would you go about wiring in a plug in PFC? I got a cut loom, no ecu and no AFM with the NEO motor that i bought. A LINK will sort out the no loom issue because it comes with its own wiring harness, it uses a MAP so no AFM is required. Can a PFC do this for me for $970? Prove me wrong guys, im open to suggestions here. My manifold is getting fabricated and turbo/wastegate/intercooler piping/exhaust is being installed next weekend. I will then have to move on to the wiring and ecu department. Right now im leaning towards the LINK.

The standard ER34 PowerFC is $950 odd AU from nengun.

Goto a wrekers and get an R34 GTT loom and start matching wires, no different to the LINK wire up really. Cost is hardly a good reason to justify a map sensor over and airflow meter setup

Personally, my first choice would be to get an R34GTT loom and a Power FC.  My second choice would be an R33GTST loom and  power FC.  My third choice would be an R32GTST loom and a Power FC.  Myfourth choice would be to "wire in" the Power FC, its no harder to wire in a PFC in than any other computer.

It a simple the cost / performance ratio, you will spend far more money on getting the base tuning of any other ECU compared to a PFC than buying a harness will cost.

:P cheers :D

me second that

PFC is the best ecu to run

pete