SAU Community

IMPORT:What's better?Stock or Modified ?

B-Man

Hi All,

So now I've signed up to get an import thru Geoff@Prestige.....

Your advice/comments/experiences on which is better would be greatly appreciated ! Stock ?? or Modified ??

Here's my 2c:

Stock-

Pros: Not thrashed(maybe), You get what you see

Cons: Expensive to mod, once here

Modified-

Cons: Could have been thrashed, lots of worn out bits

Pros: Let someone else pay for mods - get good value for $$$

Thanks all , you've been heaps of help so far !!!

BF

most of them are thrashed whether they have mods or not.

i got my car with heaps of mods and saved a stack. i've seen ppl buy stock cars for the same price that i got mine and they are even older cars in some instances.

put it this way, after buying my car i wouldn't have $15k to spend on mods so i'm gratefull the previous owner spent that amount. who cares if they are slightly used, you save more than enough to pay for your insurance for a few years.:P

Well it depends on your situation, if you've got plenty of many, then buying stock and modding wouldn't be a bad idea. But if you're working on a some what limited budget, i would probably looking the best car I could with the most mods, if the car's been kept tidy, chances are it's been looked after somewhat by an enthusiast. If the car looks trashed, it's probably been thrashed.

But if you're buying a modded car, try and budget that little bit extra for the un known. And the other thing with buying a stock car, just because it looks stock, you could also run the risk of it not being looked after/serviced regularly.

That's just my opinion, but I think going through Geoff you'll get a pretty good idea of what the car is and has and needs.

I think everyone that goes for an import is trying to save $$ and at the same time get value .

What it comes down to (as birty says) is : How thrashed do these cars get ?? Is a mod'd one more thrashed than a stock one ? How can you tell ??

Is 'thrashed' the same here as it is in Japan ?? How do the japanese get to thrash their cars ?? Streets ?? Drags ?? Other ??

Does thrashed mean 'abosolutely buggered' or does it mean that it has had some hard traffic light hero yards ??

Lets look at WORST case scenario... highly mod'd car (that is obviously not a drifter or race car ie: no roll cage, normal suspension etc) - Can the Japenese get away with some of the stuff we can get away with (eg: no speed limit in NT, bad roads) ?? Can they do it constantly ??

Or do they just put heaps of mods on their cars to show off - and maybe do the odd burrrn here and there ?

I spose the answer is : "it depends"...

It's an educated guestimate lottery !!

BF

Originally posted by ONARUN

most of them are thrashed whether they have mods or not.

i got my car with heaps of mods and saved a stack. i've seen ppl buy stock cars for the same price that i got mine and they are even older cars in some instances.

put it this way, after buying my car i wouldn't have $15k to spend on mods so i'm gratefull the previous owner spent that amount. who cares if they are slightly used, you save more than enough to pay for your insurance for a few years.:P

Yeah but your mods were done locally dude!

Brendon, in japan most cars are either bog stock, worked and used as drifters/racers, or worked to "look like" drifters or racers. I doubt a stock car is going to be thrashed, normally geoff can tell you about the condition of the inside ie worn rubbers on pedals, worn carpet and seats, and wear on gearknob and wheel which are a BIG indication of abuse.

Stock is best if you can afford to mod later, of course buying modded can have drawbacks like the cost (additional) to remove performance parts and refit when compliancing, however several people have bought their cars in modded and found extra goodies such as different turbos they didnt know about or other hot bits which is a nice surprise.

As you mentioned, geoff does a good job in supplying ALL available info about the cars history/condition to the prospective buyer so you are on a winner with him.

my 2 sence plus GST long time :(

Really depends on what you want.

I chose stock because I wanted to understand what each modification did, and and what works and what doesn't.

But if you just want a gutsy car, get a modded one and save the money.

And like everyone is saying, all these cars have been thrashed. Any performance car has, after all, what else are they good for???

I chose to get a stock car for the exact reason you said Brendan, i was *hoping* that would mean it hadn't been thrashed.

The only thing changed in the car was the stereo. Everything else was original...the interior was immaculate (except for a slightly worn steering wheel), it had the original Skylines mats, and even the flare....and the jack & spare wheel look like they've never been touched. So i guess I got what i asked for.

But, as GTR-80Y said, next time I would be looking for one with minor mods. Just a few things like an exhaust, maybe a body kit etc, stuff that adds up in $$$$ here, but doesn't really cost more when buying at auction over there.

One with heaps of mods, i would stay clear of, but that's just me :P

Either way the car has may have been thrashed. If the car is still running fine and checks OK with mods its probably a bargain. However, I've seen cars that were "not modded" even though there were tell tale signs like mounting marks on the dash and extra holes in the engine bay.

I agree with all the people that would get a modded car. Not only do you save on all the goodies but you get the techinical expertise that has gone into it.

A car built here and a car built in japan will never be the same. Generally the car that was built in japan will have complementary gear and will suit a purpose.

Geoff seems to have good suppliers who checks the cars out well so I would go with a modded one also.

It's not uncommon for a modified car to have ALL the performance parts removed (quite often some without a trace!) So how then do you know if your stock example really is/was stock & wasn't trashed?!?!

I've seen the above happen to cars once they've arrived in Australia. Yards do it sometimes as it easier to move a "stock" import, rather than try to sell as is. Potential buyers are more wary of a modified car, as per shell's last paragraph in her post above.

My 2.2c