SAU Community

4wd Holiday Advice

uneekwahn

I get my long service leave in April next year, and I'm planning on taking some of it fully paid out and the remainder (probably a month to a month and a half) I'm going to go on a holiday to the kimberleys around July/August 2007.

I'm going to get a 4wd (Around $10,000) and want some advice on:

What sort of 4wd would be suitable for the kimberleys (I've never driven one before, or gone off-roading) and will want to do a bit of "proper" off-roading (I'm planning on doing some courses at AHG) to experience some nice gorges and other bits the "general" public wouldn't normally see.

What sort of supplies should I be taking? Recovery equipment, chainsaws, jerry cans etc etc.

Most of the holiday WILL be spent in tourist traps along the coast (monkey mia, broome, etc), but I will be heading inland a bit and checking out Wolfe Creek Crater and other interesting places that I don't yet know about :)

So yeah, any advice, thoughts etc would be greatly appreciated by this 4wd n00b :D

Thanks,

Jason.

You will definitley need something more than a Rav4. :) I have done alot of hairy 4wdriving when I was in SES, in their Landcruiser troop carriers and I recommend that you try and go with another car when you go off road. The reason for this is you can help get each other out of trouble. Its ALOT harder when there is only you.

The 2 main pieces of recovery equipment you will need is a winch (esp of you are going alone) and a snatch strap. Also take a shovel, air compresser (pump the tyres up after you let them down for sandy driving). I doubt you will need a chainsaw though.... chopping down a tree won't help you :D You will need the tree standing to winch! If there are no tree's you can bury your spare tyre - yes make sure you have one or two - and use that as an anchor point.

And make sure you take alot of water... for obvious reasons. We dont want to see you on the news doing a Robert Boguki (sp?)

Some advice when 4wdriving - which you will no doubt learn at AHG is never let your revs down. You have to keep them high, especially in sandy/boggy terrain. If you drop off the revs you will get bogged. Also follow the wheel ruts of other cars -the ground will be compressed and less boggy.

Some advice when 4wdriving - which you will no doubt learn at AHG is never let your revs down. You have to keep them high, especially in sandy/boggy terrain. If you drop off the revs you will get bogged.

are you serious....

momentum will get you thru most things, so yes while you are going forward thats fine to keep the foot into it a little, but if you start really slowing down keeping the revs up will bury you to the diffs... the idea is to have a 4x4 with torque and if things start getting hairy then let it chug along and it will pull thru.. especially in sand.. failing that if you reverse gently back over your tracks and go forward then reverse go forward several times it makes the sand harder and each time you will go further forward... worst case if you do sit there spinning you wont sink and it will be a lot easier to winch yourself out.

before telling people to hold it flat in sand maybe you should own your own 4wd and put your neck on the line before telling him how to get bogged... sorry for being harsh

I didnt say to keep the revs up as in foot flat to the floor with the engine screaming its guts out. I meant as in what you said.... you dont want to change gears too soon have the revs drop out and lose momentum. I am talking about driving diesels as well.. not petrol 4wd. With diesels, it is alot more important to keep the revs. Thanks for 'attempting' to explain it so much better than what I did.

And thanks for the advice on 'putting my neck on the line' - but I think driving an emergency vehicle with 9 passengers is putting my 'neck on the line' enough.

I didnt say to keep the revs up as in foot flat to the floor with the engine screaming its guts out. I meant as in what you said.... you dont want to change gears too soon have the revs drop out and lose momentum. I am talking about driving diesels as well.. not petrol 4wd. With diesels, it is alot more important to keep the revs. Thanks for 'attempting' to explain it so much better than what I did.

And thanks for the advice on 'putting my neck on the line' - but I think driving an emergency vehicle with 9 passengers is putting my 'neck on the line' enough.

havent diesels got more torque then petrols so therfore you can let the revs drop down lower without stalling it? weird....

driving a troopy that ways 4 tonne full of guys and equip, is completly different to driving a normal 4x4 waying 1.8 tonne.. sorry you were inthe army you must be right...

havent diesels got more torque then petrols so therfore you can let the revs drop down lower without stalling it? weird....

driving a troopy that ways 4 tonne full of guys and equip, is completly different to driving a normal 4x4 waying 1.8 tonne.. sorry you were inthe army you must be right...

ses not army sorry

Yes you are right, you can have the revs drop lower without stalling it, you usually take off in 2nd gear. But climbing steep hills or powering through mud, if you change gears too soon revs drop too low (kind of like the way it works in a petrol car) and it loses momentum.

Driving a car like that is different, but most of the concepts are the same - ie recovery. So I am probably NOT right in respects to petrol 4wd and revs etc :)

Anyway I am sure Jason will learn what is right for his car when he does the course. :D

4wd's??? Off road??? Never.

I was up in Broome last week, about 80% of cars are 4wd (dirty :P , NOT squeaky clean), and most are more than capable. Jason if I was in your position I would go a Patrol or Hilux, and from some of the roads I've heard about get one with big tires & lots of clearance, especially since you've said that's where you want to go. AHG would help with the driving, but for practice just drive off Wanneroo Rd into the bush :)

From my time up North on the mines I've learnt a few things that all serious bush basher 4wd's should have..

1. Long range tanks - for when you get lost as there is a looooong time between fuel stops sometimes. That 400km wrong turn sucks when you know you have to backtrack.

2. Room for at least two spare tyres, if not more - you won't get a flat on the road, but on the rocky/gravel tracks you will as the sharp rocks will slash the sidewalls.

3. Room for plenty of water - nuff said.

4. The usual recovery gear - which AHG should outline for you. With this - a front mounted winch might be a bit extreme pricewise, so maybe a hand winch or something cheaper like it. Either way, not a bad idea if going it alone.

As for driving, revs, momentum ect - it depends on the terrain and where you are.

Think about weight, weight distribution ect when looking at a vehicle. You don't want to be doing 5000km+ in something that's massively overloaded for it's chassis/engine. Also, the more you put on a roof rack, the higher your center of gravity will be and in a 4wd, it's already up there...

That's all I can think of for now..

thanks for the advice so far guys (and gals!) keep it all coming :unsure:

So far we've been thinking of the following cars:

Toyota Hliux

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Patrol

I've been told that Gibb River Road can be quite ... bumpy, and that you'd need something pretty decent so the wheel nuts don't vibrate off :D Any comments about that?

I'm also contemplating getting a camper trailer (in the event I don't get something that I can sleep in) and taking that along. Anyone tried one of these out? Self contained tent/kitchen type thingy.

I suppose I could just get a tent :wub:

thanks for the advice so far guys (and gals!) keep it all coming :P

So far we've been thinking of the following cars:

Toyota Hliux

Nissan Pathfinder

Nissan Patrol

I've been told that Gibb River Road can be quite ... bumpy, and that you'd need something pretty decent so the wheel nuts don't vibrate off :rolleyes:  Any comments about that?

I'm also contemplating getting a camper trailer (in the event I don't get something that I can sleep in) and taking that along.  Anyone tried one of these out? Self contained tent/kitchen type thingy.

I suppose I could just get a tent :ban:

i would go with the toyota, it just seems as though they are more proven ie, mining companies use them, fireies etc etc and id be increasing your buget by at least 7-10k you wont get a good hilux 10k, considered landcruisers? you can get a good cond. 80 series (early 90s) for under 20k. for around 10k you get old hacked up 4wd, in general. also if you get a troopie you can convert the back into sleeping quarters there are plenty of troopie campers around. this would save you towing a tralier, and i can tell you getting bogged with a trailer on is noy a good experience.