SAU Community

Manual Conversion

Pal

howdy guys, thinkin about doin a manual conversion on my 33 and wonderin if anyone knows what i have to do on the licencing side of things, eg do i have to take it over the pits or do a verble :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rang the dpi and have to fill in a vehical modification application for production vehicles form. after this the conversion is done ($3600 with new clutch) then it has to go over the pits to get signed off. am going to a licenceing workshop tomorrow to see what happens there hopefully(need to check if a few things on the car are legal as well) find out about getting a permit for the fmic or even if i need one. then i have to wait to see if i got the funds to do it as doing up the back yard (left over funds to go to the car, hopefully). problem with not telling them is insurance. And the car is in very good condition for its age and i think i will struggle to get a manual for a decent price in the same condition.

Edited by Pal

DO IT ERIC.. you wont regret it. Autos are for old men and women, your not either are you ? :D

excuse me??? :huh:

My car is an auto and if i remember at the last drag combat was pulling a lot better times than most of the manuals.

Not to mention not having to ever worry about replacing clutches :)

excuse me???  :huh:

My car is an auto and if i remember at the last drag combat was pulling a lot better times than most of the manuals.

Not to mention not having to ever worry about replacing clutches :D

Well.. i hate to tell you this... but your under the woman catagory (not meaning to be rude) :)

Manual conversion will bring erics times down heaps i reckon. My car has 'similar' mods but he has less RWHP and his best 1/4m time was 14.2 i think, whereas mine was 13.7 (with grippier tyres probably less), the only difference really is the manual gearbox

settle guys, went to the pits today and its all good news exept one thing. He said they will only look at the modification done eg make sure the gearbox, peddles, clutch etc is put in properly. i asked him about the intercooler and he said that i did not need a permit for the intercooler, they only have problems when all the front end is cut out, if it is neat, no worries there. boost gauge on the a piller- ok as long as it does'nt obstruct veiw. exhaust-got a 3" x-force stainless exhaust with drift type tip. made me give it a rev and said there was no problems and would pass that. wheels, bugga have A&Z Blitz 17" by 8" rims -no good only allowed 7" (thanks to tyre power for telling me that), will have to stick the stockies back on when go back :-(. the prices i got are from the three bigger companys in perth and they are all the same exept one has asked me to source the parts. looks like a big time period to do it (2-3 months) as companies need to find parts for the conversion. ive had a look at keeping the auto and maybe upgrading the turbo and putting in a shift kit but this will about the same (decent turbo upgrade $2500, shift kit $600, oil cooler $150, = more fuel and still have a auto that has the possibilitys of frying :D . may drop my 1/4 times to mid 13 and not able to go any further without the big bucks OR drop in a manual, still get mid 13 as have a lower ratio diff, drivetrain is stronger and still can go further on mods with the car for much cheaper.

Edited by Pal

Well.. i hate to tell you this... but your under the woman catagory (not meaning to be rude) :(

Manual conversion will bring erics times down heaps i reckon. My car has 'similar' mods but he has less RWHP and his best 1/4m time was 14.2 i think, whereas mine was 13.7 (with grippier tyres probably less), the only difference really is the manual gearbox

13.3 ....... so this woman in her auto can kick your ass sonny. Oh that was on only 10psi too. :lol:

Come on Guys...its a well known fact that autos do better in the drags than manuals....something about faster gear changes. A lot of pro drag cars run autos that are 'tuned' to change at the perfect point to maximize power and traction in each gear.....

my next car will be manual due to the fact i would like to do more track work but I hate this whole Stigma attached to autos - that you buy one you must be weak and that they are slow ...... when thats not the truth at all. They can be just as quick as the manuals if not quicker. Least I don't lose boost and have to rebuild it back up everytime it changes gear.

True Niz....but as you say for circuit or the twisties the manual is the way to go :( with anything you get advantages and disadvantages!

By the way it was good to meet you and the rest of the crew....great location by the water by the way :)

well change of plans :) , looks like its to hard to get a manual, and even if i can get one, its gunna be to expensive anyway (2nd hand gearboxes are now about $2000 to $2500 alone). So, gunna keep the auto but do do a few mods around this and im sure (as Nizmo says) gunna try beat a few of the manuals with the sludgomatic. ;)

p.s. can i ask what u have done to your car Nizmo :O

Edited by Pal