SAU Community

Piggy Back And Ecu Tuning Discussion

AlexCim

take a photo of the internals of the ecu and sent to nistune, just to be sure

great price tho

I can state also that all functions work with the Toshi ecu remap chip (big chip adapter plate soldered onto where small ecu tune chip was originally)

S1 anybody can not real time tune inclued nistune.( R33 daughter board can not fit to satagea ecu).

I am able to remap stagea but its not real time tune.

Remap data will burn to chip and go to drive or dyno.

If its ping,fuel lean or rich I will remap again.

(Im remaping R33 ecu so I have a lot of data.) cost from $650

Do not need piggybag ecu.

S2 is able to real time tune.cost from $600 include daughter board , modified ecu and road tune ( check AFM volt , injector, AFR etc)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

S1 anybody can not real time tune inclued nistune.( R33 daughter board can not fit to satagea ecu).

I am able to remap stagea but its not real time tune.

Remap data will burn to chip and go to drive or dyno.

If its ping,fuel lean or rich I will remap again.

(Im remaping R33 ecu so I have a lot of data.) cost from $650

Do not need piggybag ecu.

S2 is able to real time tune.cost from $600 include daughter board , modified ecu and road tune ( check AFM volt , injector, AFR etc)

he's your man

+1 from me

once you consider the cost of wiring the EMU in it is hard to see how it is cheaper or more tunable. there is only one relatively simple mod required to run a powerfc perfectly on the RS4S (ie. correct voltage feed to pin 51) but otherwise it is still plug and play and will start and run the car hot cold etc. there is otherwise no complex changes to the loom.

with the addition of a datalogit the powerfc is laptop tunable for $400-500 more less if you can hunt around. if you want multiple maps the you can save as many as you want which i guess would only be handy if using race fuels but then again the commander can tip in or pull out a few degrees across the whole map anyway in the case of emergencies.

trent will do a great job and the EMU will work really well but i i don't think the powerfc is inferior.

how much is it costing to get the EMU supplied and installed.

when you get it back you are going to be stoked. engine management with a little more boost will make it a whole lot of fun.

Well all up it is costing the following - Emanage Ultimate $650 with harness Had a mate who bought one for an s14 and since sold the car (Also one of the reasons I bought it)

Field harness $200 roundabouts from memory.

The install and tune is costing me $650

So total spend is $1500 which from what I have heard some people spend is pretty reasonable I think especially given the flexibility I will have at the end.

I am looking forward to the result and I'll post up the dyno reading after.

Cheers

I think we are in luck...I got this email from Matt at Nistune yesterday

It's about $305 if you send your ECU to them and they supply and install the board and send it back to you and the single user software would cost extra (extra $135 i guess).

I think they say JECS ECU Only because I think that the S1 Stagea uses the R33 ECU which Nistune can't do unless you want to spend 1k for a Jap board from Dr. Drift (as I said i'm only assuming)

Wow, that sounds like awesome value... just need to find a tuner around here that can tune it. I am *hoping* Boostworx can do it... then just have to solve a 2-wheel dyno problem :laugh:

take a photo of the internals of the ecu and sent to nistune, just to be sure

great price tho

I can state also that all functions work with the Toshi ecu remap chip (big chip adapter plate soldered onto where small ecu tune chip was originally)

Awesome Tangles... I just had a thought... obviously ATTESA is unaffected by all this ECU reprogramming?

Well all up it is costing the following - Emanage Ultimate $650 with harness Had a mate who bought one for an s14 and since sold the car (Also one of the reasons I bought it)

Field harness $200 roundabouts from memory.

The install and tune is costing me $650

So total spend is $1500 which from what I have heard some people spend is pretty reasonable I think especially given the flexibility I will have at the end.

I am looking forward to the result and I'll post up the dyno reading after.

Cheers

there is not much chance you would pick up a powerfc and tune it under $1500 so no question the best way to go for you.

Well, if anyone's wondering whether series 2 stageas are compatible with the Nistune conversion (series 1's are NOT - we've already established that), I sent my board off to Matt at Nistune yesterday. He is charging $305 to supply AND FIT the Nistune board (type 4) and I should soon know whether it is compatible with the stagea (he thinks it is). I will post back the results.

Well Dave, let us know how it goes?? I want to get it done but haven't got the money to spend at this time

Will do. This certainly looks like the best possible tuning combination for auto stagea owners (and possibly manuals too? value-wise anyway...) as I see it, it all just depends on:

a) how much more can be added to the fuel map

and

b) cost to get it tuned!

anyway Matt will express-post it back when he's done, so I should have the unit back by next weekend (fingers crossed) to see if it actually *runs*... that would be a good start.

DaveB

Not at this stage; I'm getting the turbo hi-flowed (GCG) so I'll get it tuned on a dyno; I don't really have any desire to play with it any more than setting up my IEBC.

An update on the Nistune boards for S2 stagea...

I received this e-mail last Thursday:

Hi David

ECU has arrived today and I've read out the image and desoldered the ECU pads. I'm getting some more ER34/WC34 connectors tomorrow and will fit those to the ECU and post your ECU out Friday morning

regards

Matt

:yes: so should soon know if it at least runs the engine...

I picked up the high-flow turbo last Friday, and unfortunately I can't fit it until I get the ECU back so that I can run the engine without the turbo for 15 seconds at idle to do an "oil flow test", which Bill at ATS wants me to do. But if the ECU runs the engine off the Nistune board, then I should be all set - that means the tune can be modified with Nistune software! So I'll simply book it in to Boostworx or somewhere else that handles the Nistune stuff and get a complete tune. This is the perfect solution for me because

a) it's about half the cost of piggy-backs in terms of hardware,

b) I don't have to wire anything into the ECU loom (also save money there if I got it done professionally)

c) it's comparable to a complete computer change (ie. better tune than piggy-backs)

only drawback is the difficulty (and, potentially, price) of re-tuning... will keep you posted.

Well done Dave....that's good to hear (when i read "It Lives" the first thing that came into my head is Clarkson from Top Gear yelling it out when they got the Caterham fired up..lol)

Now I gotta save up my pennies and get mine done (i'm going to get the software and consult cable as well)...keep us posted on how your car runs once everything is installed and tuned up

Well done Dave....that's good to hear (when i read "It Lives" the first thing that came into my head is Clarkson from Top Gear yelling it out when they got the Caterham fired up..lol)

Now I gotta save up my pennies and get mine done (i'm going to get the software and consult cable as well)...keep us posted on how your car runs once everything is installed and tuned up

Lol that's right I remember that episode :ninja: Hillarious stuff.

Yeah hoping it's all going to be smooth tuning it; I figure that if it runs on this board though then it should be; it's doing everything already. I think I'll book the tune in for a few weeks away; I am getting a split pipe on Tuesday if all goes to plan, and a walbro wss-342 and nismo fpr sometime this week, which I plan to install myself and set to stock fuel pressure just to save labour costs (that's about $100-150 saving just there!). Then I need to find a hi-flow cat and I might yet need a cat-back exhaust... so yeah, that and the two week wait time at my garage, it's a bummer. All the usual stuff underway though, with the main short-term goal being just to get the damn car back on the road!!

Yeah a consult cable (one of the Nistune high-speed jobbies) and a car PC hooked up to an in-dash display would be a pretty nice solution :)

Well, if anyone's wondering whether series 2 stageas are compatible with the Nistune conversion (series 1's are NOT - we've already established that), I sent my board off to Matt at Nistune yesterday. He is charging $305 to supply AND FIT the Nistune board (type 4) and I should soon know whether it is compatible with the stagea (he thinks it is). I will post back the results.

is that gona be the standard price [$305]? also is it gona include boost and speed cut?

if so this is the path im going down as im nearly done with my mods.. slit dump pipe to cat(amperformance 1 of ebay) metal cat, 3 inch xforce cat back, fmic, sard fuel pump an fuel pressure regulator, splitfire coils and a highflow on its way (yet to be fitted)..

can u set a boost level in the tune or do u need an ebc? last thing is are there any tuners in perth?

is that gona be the standard price [$305]? also is it gona include boost and speed cut?

if so this is the path im going down as im nearly done with my mods.. slit dump pipe to cat(amperformance 1 of ebay) metal cat, 3 inch xforce cat back, fmic, sard fuel pump an fuel pressure regulator, splitfire coils and a highflow on its way (yet to be fitted)..

can u set a boost level in the tune or do u need an ebc? last thing is are there any tuners in perth?

See post above - have now done this and yes, it was standard price of $305. I don't have a speed cut (?), and with external boost control you don't need to worry about boost cut in 1st/2nd (or reverse :S). Not sure what features are available but from a look at this screenshot on Nistune's website it looks pretty damn comprehensive:

scn1.jpg

and these appear to be just the options available to the older RB30ET board....

There are lots more just see www.nistune.com You do have a series 2 stag then? Just that this won't work with series 1's. I am going the same way with the split pipe & hi-flow cat' and GCG hi-flowed turbo first, probably standard cat-back exhaust for first tune (!!! I know I know), fuel pump & fpr but hope to get away with the standard coilpacks, which have been 'siliconed'.

Edited by DaveB

See post above - have now done this and yes, it was standard price of $305. I don't have a speed cut (?), and with external boost control you don't need to worry about boost cut in 1st/2nd (or reverse :S). Not sure what features are available but from a look at this screenshot on Nistune's website it looks pretty damn comprehensive:

scn1.jpg

and these appear to be just the options available to the older RB30ET board....

There are lots more just see www.nistune.com You do have a series 2 stag then? Just that this won't work with series 1's. I am going the same way with the split pipe & hi-flow cat' and GCG hi-flowed turbo first, probably standard cat-back exhaust for first tune (!!! I know I know), fuel pump & fpr but hope to get away with the standard coilpacks, which have been 'siliconed'.

speed cut stops the factory ecu from limiting the car to 180kmh.. not that i would wana go that fast very often...

boost cut will be a factor as i plan on running 14 to 15 psi but im shure it would be factored in to the tune.. yea i do have an s2 and was gong to go for the halltec e11 at a cost of 2500 fitted and tuned, this option seems way better

Well this certainly sounds cheaper... and since you essentially get to keep the factory ECU, it should run as close as possible to factory, keeping all factory features... those you don't want, you might be able to ask your tuner to 'delete' (>180km/h... guess that's why I haven't noticed my speed limiter... I don't go on track days :banana:)

Could you explain a little more about the boost cut? I thought you meant the factory boost cut that you get in 1st and snow mode? I think that's only a function of the factory ECU-wired dual stage boost solenoid? If so then running a boost controller (which I think I will still have to do?) would bypass this... can somebody with more knowledge on boost control comment on this?