SAU Community

Piggy Back And Ecu Tuning Discussion

AlexCim

no such thing as boost cut in skyline/stagea ecu's. its an air flow cut, which happens when you max out the AFM. it is a common thing when you run higher boost. when you hit the cut its like the engine just dies for a second. if your experiencing airflow cut then an upgrade to a Z32 or Q45 AFM would be needed.

and Jerome, if you have an auto stagea the Haltech unit is not an option, unless you look at running it piggyback, which to me isn't worth it.

Dave, good to see the Nistune board works for the S2 Stagea, i thought it would, i'll definately be getting this done soon aswell.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no such thing as boost cut in skyline/stagea ecu's. its an air flow cut, which happens when you max out the AFM. it is a common thing when you run higher boost. when you hit the cut its like the engine just dies for a second. if your experiencing airflow cut then an upgrade to a Z32 or Q45 AFM would be needed.

and Jerome, if you have an auto stagea the Haltech unit is not an option, unless you look at running it piggyback, which to me isn't worth it.

Dave, good to see the Nistune board works for the S2 Stagea, i thought it would, i'll definately be getting this done soon aswell.

The Stagea ECU doesn't do boost cut but it does have a protection feature known as R(ich) and R(etard) which involves increasing the fuel supply and retarding the timing (which may feel like a boost cut). This can be triggered by winding up the boost but should be avoided by the Nistune if it is properly set up. i should think you will still need a seperate boost controller; i don't think Nistune will do that for you. The Nistune looks like a bargain... just the speed cut controller, the SAFC and the SITC together cost twice the Nistune price. Pity its not available for the Series I Stagea.

for the price this does seem to be the best option. in regards to tuning is it going to be easy enough for somene to use the nistune remap if there not familiar with the program? not shure if any tuners in perth have used them before

The Stagea ECU doesn't do boost cut but it does have a protection feature known as R(ich) and R(etard) which involves increasing the fuel supply and retarding the timing (which may feel like a boost cut). This can be triggered by winding up the boost but should be avoided by the Nistune if it is properly set up. i should think you will still need a seperate boost controller; i don't think Nistune will do that for you. The Nistune looks like a bargain... just the speed cut controller, the SAFC and the SITC together cost twice the Nistune price. Pity its not available for the Series I Stagea.

R&R occurs when you have excessive knock (detonation) which can also come from winding the boost up and not adding anyfuel, having a really lean mixture. unlike the airflow cut, once R&R has been hit it takes a little time to reset itself. Airflow cut only happens at the instant you max the AFM out, then everything is back to normal.

for the price this does seem to be the best option. in regards to tuning is it going to be easy enough for somene to use the nistune remap if there not familiar with the program? not shure if any tuners in perth have used them before

tuning software is tuning software, there are all pritty much the same, just different company and different layout, in the end its just a fuel map, an ignition map (well its a bit more than that but you the idea). so it wouldn't be that hard for a tuner to figure it out quickly if they haven't used it before.

Edited by QWK32

Update: It lives! I now have a Nistune type 4 board running my series 2 stagea :blink:

did u send of your ecu and get them to fit the mod or did it youself? also did u need to buy anything else to get it to work. i found the website a bit confusing on what i needed

The Nistune looks like a bargain... just the speed cut controller, the SAFC and the SITC together cost twice the Nistune price.

My thoughts exactly

tuning software is tuning software, there are all pritty much the same, just different company and different layout, in the end its just a fuel map, an ignition map (well its a bit more than that but you the idea). so it wouldn't be that hard for a tuner to figure it out quickly if they haven't used it before.

That is true; however there is an investment to be made in hardware & software by the tuner to be able to work with the Nistune... they have to buy a board, software license, couple of EPROM emulators etc. So perhaps not all of them will have this hardware?

JIPPA: At least one tuner in Perth is capable of tuning with the Nistune (Perth Z Performance)... click on the "Workshops" link at the top of the Nistune website (a suggestion made to me by someone else earlier in this thread :)) and you will see:

AUSTRALIA - WA

Allstar Garage

3/21 Vale Street, Malaga, WA

Hyperdrive Motor Sports

1/28 Vale Street, Malaga, WA

Perth Z Performance

Unit 3, 10 Pensacola Tce, Clarkson

Top Racing Pty Ltd

8 Savill Place, Carlisle, WA

did u send of your ecu and get them to fit the mod or did it youself? also did u need to buy anything else to get it to work. i found the website a bit confusing on what i needed

I simply e-mailed Matt at Nistune, his address is [email protected]

All you have to do is mail him your ECU; it can be removed easily using only your fingers, a 10mm socket and perhaps a phillips-head screwdriver as tools. It is located behind the front-passenger "kick panel" (l/h side, in front of the door). Then you mail it to him and he installs the board and mails it back to you using express post (so generally 2-3 days turn around :)). All that was included in the price of $305. Then you plug your ECU straight back in, and it will run exactly as factory. You see Matt downloads your stock firmware (the factory "tune" information) onto the board he installs, so it will use that as a starting tune, and it will be *exactly* the same as the stock tune. Then you can just start the car (if you haven't made any other crazy mod's) and drive it straight to your tuner to have a tune done. I don't see any reason why piggy-backs won't work with this as well, a bit pointless BUT if you have piggy-backs now you could use them with the Nistune board until you can get a full tune done and remove them at the same time. HTH

Just to make sure, you have a series 2 stagea right? Series 1 won't take the Nistune board; Tangles' stag is the only series 1 I have heard of with a successfully modded factory ECU, and that was done by a forum member called Toshi.

Edited by DaveB

serise 1 do not have boost limitter but serise 2 have boost limiter (limiter start from 14psi).

Sensor is in AFM.(same ER34)

piggyback is can not remove limiter.(inclued e-manage)

Its need HKS FCD.

Remap is able to remove limiter but tuner have to find address in ecu data.

Also NISTUNE can not remove boost limiter now.

I think he does not know serise 2 stagea and R34 have boost limiter.

Im using NISTUNE software and this is very good software for remap ecu.

NISTUNE is able to tune daughter board for R33, R34, serise 2 stagea,S13, S14,S15 etc.

(Im using daughter board. This is cheaper than NISTUNE board. only $150 for R34, serise 2 stagea.But tuner need 2 emulator.Its same silvias. If some one want to daughter board I have instock in Sydney.)

NISTUNE is not inclued tune data. (power fc is alrady installed tune data.so any tuner is able to tune)

So NISTUNE is have to make tune data (tune map) tuner self. (I think fuel and ignition good tune map can not make only 2-3 hours dyno)

This is some shop NISTUNE R34 (same stagea) dyno sheet.

Looks like did not change ignition timing map. I think adjusted only AFR.

He paid $850 for this tune.(This shop is his local tuner)

dynor34.jpg

Many shop is using NISTUNE but how many shop is able to good tune for R33,R34,stagea.

If someone want to DIY tune by NISTUNE I think he need base tune data.

Well I finally got my E-manage Ultimate fitted and tuned and I am over the moon with the result.

The car is a S2 Stagea Type S with the following mods : Trust Front Mount, Trust Blow Off, Trust Pod Filter, Fujitsubo Cat Back and Front Pipe, Hi Flow Metal Cat, Gizzmo EBC and E-Manage Ultimate.

Initial Dyno run to confirm the Base Line was 163kw atw and 278.9nm @ Std Boost

Dyno Run after the Tune of the Emanage was 201kw atw and 365.7nm @ 11-12psi(I'll post the dyno sheets up as soon as I get a chance)

The car has been totally transformed and is now starting to feel like a real sports car, really throws you back in the seat when accelerating hard. Can 't wait to take it for a long drive in the country.

Trent at Status Tuning in Dandenong is responsible for the install and tune and I can't recommend him enough, good advice and a great result I'll definitely be going back there in the future.

We have done quite a few Nistune Type 4 boards for ER34 skyline lately... and with series 2 WC34 (stagea) using the same ECU we are expecting similar results

One of the local guys here Ashley from Classic performance (SA) bought an ER34 from these forums and built is back up and dyno tuned it last week with upto 315rwkw @ 19psi / 297rwkw @ 16 psi. Details below

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=816

rpm_340_dyno_remap_3156_kw_at_19_psi_297.jpg

Also Simon down at Morpowa (SA) did another auto ER34 this week from Singery Motorsports getting about 300rwkw

There are no problems with the boost cut on those, once you raise the Theoretical Pulsewidth limiter tables (there are two of them with these ECUs which I managed to hunt down) you just increase these and it will effectively avoid your 'boost cut'

btw There is no need for emulators btw when using the nistune boards, the tuner just buys the board and gets someone to install for them. I do installs also for these boards... once the board is installed all the tuner needs to do is plug the laptop in the consult port and start tuning.

serise 1 do not have boost limitter but serise 2 have boost limiter (limiter start from 14psi).

Sensor is in AFM.(same ER34)

piggyback is can not remove limiter.(inclued e-manage)

Its need HKS FCD.

Remap is able to remove limiter but tuner have to find address in ecu data.

Also NISTUNE can not remove boost limiter now.

I think he does not know serise 2 stagea and R34 have boost limiter.

incorrect here is a emanage ultimate i did a few days ago for a fellow SAU'er a few post up (nice bloke... who i stuffed around abit sorry :rofl: ) , limiter is in boost sensor near BOV, usually only need to intercept it over 14psi so i only wire it in when we do turbo upgrade.. Emanage (ultimate or blue) has no issue with the stagea... although i prefer to use ultimate.

Nistune is also great and works a treat, as do your TOSHI remaps :laugh:

post-34927-1228195397_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

incorrect here is a emanage ultimate i did a few days ago for a fellow SAU'er a few post up (nice bloke... who i stuffed around abit sorry :) ) , limiter is in boost sensor near BOV, usually only need to intercept it over 14psi so i only wire it in when we do turbo upgrade.. Emanage (ultimate or blue) has no issue with the stagea... although i prefer to use ultimate.

Nistune is also great and works a treat, as do your TOSHI remaps :D

Im wrong. Boost senser is not in AFM. its separete.

Please tell me how to wire in e-manage?

Boost senser wire cut and one wrie conect to input side and another wire conect to output side?And adjust volt.

Is this correct?

Can not remove boost limiter over the e-manage software?

Serise 1 stagea can not real time remap tune.

I think emanage ultimate is very good option.

How much is emanage ultimate , wire , install and tune totale?

whilst you cant real time tune the S1, Im happy with your ecu chip along in conjunction with SAFC/SITC.

I reckon the Toshi chip plus adjustment piggyback is the way to go :)

Boost senser wire cut and one wrie conect to input side and another wire conect to output side?And adjust volt.

Is this correct?

The pdf in this thread may help you when wiring up the eManage.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/M3...html&st=260

Is this correct?

yeah just wire the signal wire into the emanage ultimate via the analog input channels (page 19) in manual clamp the voltage same as you would a boost cut in the afm etc..

i charge $550 to tune the emanage ultimate, PFC, Haltec, NISTUNE etc... i prefer to use a field harness on the stagea as it allows me ti wire it on the bench and gives the customer the option to remove it neatly if selling the car.

as for price the aus dollar is pretty bad so its getting dearer i used to do $1250 drive in drive out.

Edited by URAS

whilst you cant real time tune the S1, Im happy with your ecu chip along in conjunction with SAFC/SITC.

I reckon the Toshi chip plus adjustment piggyback is the way to go :D

Thank you Tangle.

I am able to remap Z32 AFR and bigger turbo.

But I can not remap over 400hp S1 stagea.(because S1 can not realtime remap)

If e-manage ultimate is able to handle over 400hp I think its worth.

yeah just wire the signal wire into the emanage ultimate via the analog input channels (page 19) in manual clamp the voltage same as you would a boost cut in the afm etc..

i charge $550 to tune the emanage ultimate, PFC, Haltec, NISTUNE etc... i prefer to use a field harness on the stagea as it allows me ti wire it on the bench and gives the customer the option to remove it neatly if selling the car.

as for price the aus dollar is pretty bad so its getting dearer i used to do $1250 drive in drive out.

Cheers, Trent.

Does the $550 include the install?

ER34 now does have speed limiter controls :D

here are two limiters, and parameters are available in the updated address file (I'll be doing a ROM pack update this week with new address files with VTC control points, injector latency controls etc).

Awesome, do you think that'll make it to Boostworx in time for my tune on Friday?

ahh, so you're booked in for when I pick mine up. sweet

I just received rightnow in my hot little hands:

HKS AIC additional injector controller, to control 2x sard 700cc injectors setup on the intake manifold setup

DSCF0253.jpg