SAU Community

Speedo Correction

Hi guys,

Probably making a dick of my self here but anyways. I did some searching around and didnt come up with anything about speedo correction, so after sitting around scratching my head i came up with an idea which i thought i would run by you guys.

Basically i want to be able to get an accurate reading from a speedo that is getting its readings from a R34 GTT manual Gearbox which in turn is connected to a s13 auto diff (wheel and tyre size is the R34 GTT standard 17x7.5 and 225/45).

Im guessing that the problem is the speedo cable running from the gearbox to the speedo, i would assume that since the R34 GTT has a diff which has a ratio of 4.111.1 (correct me if i am wrong) that the speedo cable is spinning at that ratio but the actual final drive of the driveline is 3.9.1 so the speedo is reading wrong.

So i thought that if i some how was able to intercept the speedo cable before it reaches the speedo itself and change the ratio of the cable from 4.111 to 3.9 that it would read correctly.

I scratched out these little pictures in paint to illustrate my idea.

SpeedoCorrectionIdea.JPG

Or with the standard s13 tyre size.

SpeedoCorrectionIdea2.JPG

Well anyways let me know what you think.

Edited by DORIFUTO_The Future

I think if you want to fix your speedo, the easiest way is to do it with changing tyres to suit the % difference in ratio's

Find a set of tyres that read 3.9/4.111, so at a 6% error to your standard wheels. As the 3.9 ratio will give more top speed, you need to balance that with faster acclerating tyres (smaller) (i think)

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

So, using the stock GTT wheels, i deduce you need 225/35R17's to solve your problem.

Could also be in the other direction, i am not sure, i am confused. But thats probably the cheapest/easiest way to fix your issue...

you need to go to a speedo cable shop and they will be able to rest everything for you, they will do a wind test will driving and see how far out it is. i can recomenned someone if your in sydney.

AlexCim - Wouldnt matching tyres only work for a car that hasnt had the final drive ratio changed but which you are sticking bigger rims on?

mr 32 - oh ok cool sounds pretty good, so they will change the speed cables ratio to match what it actually needs to be? I live in Tasmania so yeah unless i get on The Spirit and come up for a trip then i dont reckon sydney would be viable :D anyways thanks for that ill have a hunt around down here and see if i can find one.

Well, the way i see it, you are chaning the ratio of the engine to the rear driveshafts (like, the half shafts)...sooo... to compensate for the change in ratio of the spinning of the axle, you change the ratio of the axle to the rolling diameter to compensate..

Lots of annoying maths, but i think i had it right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hi guys. Title … Bought new genuine hazard switch and new genuine flasher relay, indicators now work but hazards still not working. Hazard fuse all good tested with a multimeter.  Tested hazard wiring, I’m a div forgot to test with button actually pressed in, nevertheless, here’s what I measured with hazard button disengaged… 1st wire - red - 0v 2nd wire - green/red -12v 3rd wire - white/green - 12v 4th wire - blue/red - 0v 5th wire - black - 0v 6th wire - white - 0v 7th wire -  green/black - 0v 8th wire - blue/white 5.95v Does this look okay? - can anyone confirm if the hazard has its own relay , separate from the indicator relay ? Apparently r33 has two relays ?   Racking my brain trying to figure it out 😭    
    • New alignment and matching tires is great and f*ck me are the German roads fast. Took another trip to the Nurburgring yesterday with my buddy and the car feels great in the dry - a lot of mechanical grip. In corners at 140-160kph I felt like I could keep going.
    • Has anyone else been swarmed by morons with cell phones taking pictures of their car? A few of you may know, I recently moved from Japan to Europe and brought my R34 with me. Since arriving I've driven the car a handful of times and without fail have had people filming/taking photos of me with the car to a point where it's becoming annoying and a bit hazardous. Yesterday, whilst driving with my buddy (R32 GTR) on the highway, I spotted three cars pulling alongside with some twat hanging out the window recording with his phone. This one VW Golf came alongside in the passing lane and held position preventing me from being able to pull out and pass slower traffic in my lane so I gestured to him to F*ck off.  It seems when people have approached me, in the car park, at work (drove there once - mistake), gas station etc. they ask the same questions: "why doesn't it have a wing?" and "how much power does it have?"; the latter has been met with pure disappointment when I told the kid it's stock. Of course, Japan was a totally different story, the people are a lot more subtle and have never bothered me about my car or have been polite in doing so. Has it always been like this in Western countries, and what are your experiences? I just don't recall this ever, or maybe I didn't have a nice enough car back when I was growing up in the UK. I've taken the R34 out a total of six times since it landed and besides going to the Nurburgring area it's becoming more of a pain than anything.   
    • I had a similar situation with my R32 GTS4. I replaced that solenoid, but it hasn't solved the problem. So its possible the pump is failing. It seems you need to drop the diff in order to do anything that might fix this. So its important to know exactly what the problem is. Or just replace / repair everything while the diff is out.
    • Yep, I was supprised. Its all about flow rather then housing size.  Doing G35-900 Vs ATR45SS-1 Next. 62mm V 61mm.