SAU Community

Ecutalk - Standard & Pocket Pc Consult Software

NewKleer

http://www.ecutalk.com - downloads and screenshots here

With the impending start of uni semester next week, I thought over the weekend Id try and release a pocket pc version of my consult software, ECUTalk. So far so good, what can be seen on the screenshots on the site is whats done so far (tested on the emulator, but should work on real thing) - hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have a version available for download. Will require the .NET Compact Framework (which i think can be obtained from here).

As in the consult software discussion thread, there's currently only one piece of pocket pc consult software available, at the hefty price tag of $600, so my main motivation behind the ppc version is to bridge the gap a bit. Both ECUTalk versions will be available for free, but as per on the site, any donations would be appreciated.

After the weekend ill be spending the majority of time on the consult lcd display project, so i dont anticipate id add any more functionality to either version until then (at least not time consuming things), but any suggestions/bugs etc id be interested to hear.

Peter

Edited by NewKleer

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ecutalk.com - downloads and screenshots here

With the impending start of uni semester next week, I thought over the weekend Id try and release a pocket pc version of my consult software, ECU Talk. So far so good, what can be seen on the screenshots on the site is whats done so far (tested on the emulator, but should work on real thing) - hopefully by the end of the weekend ill have a version available for download. Will require the .NET Compact Framework (which i think can be obtained from here).

As in the consult software discussion thread, there's currently only one piece of pocket pc consult software available, at the hefty price tag of $600, so my main motivation behind the ppc version is to bridge the gap a bit. Both ECU Talk versions will be available for free, but as per on the site, any donations would be appreciated.

After the weekend ill be spending the majority of time on the consult lcd display project, so i dont anticipate id add any more functionality to either version until then (at least not time consuming things), but any suggestions/bugs etc id be interested to hear.

Peter

looks like the link to ecutalk.com she is brocken

Here it is. Most of the features are similar to the desktop edition.

http://www.ecutalk.com/index.php?option=co...id=29&Itemid=45

This version has the following features:
  • Detect available COM ports (from COM1-COM9)
  • Automatic connect to first COM port (allows 3s after failed connect to change this)
  • Automatic ECU part number on connect (23710-xxxxx)
  • Automatic read available sensors on connect
  • Setup for auto select sensors and switch to full screen mode
  • Setup also stores whether to log or not
  • Read fault codes
  • Clear fault codes
  • View gauges (full screen, tap to return)
  • Automatic adjustment of gauge size to maximise screen use
  • Logging to file (watch file doesnt get too big and use up your memory)

ecutalkppc5.jpgecutalkppc6.jpgecutalkppc7.jpg

Peter

Edited by NewKleer

if anyone successfully gets the pocket pc version working, if they could post their model and how they hooked it up? (eg serial sync + null modem, custom cable, etc)

for sale forum on overclockers.com.au is best source for 2nd hand pocket pc's

Hi NewKleer, nice work. I'm keen to get this working on my pda, its an Ipaq h2200

I've installed the .Net framework and copied the files over.

When I open EcuTalk it looks for bluetooth devices, when I cancel that it looks for connected serial devices and thats as far as I get because I dont have the cables yet, so its working.

I'll pick up a serial sync cable and null modem cable some time and give it a go. I'd love to have a time trial feature and is it possible to do a speedo correction for different rim sizes.

ill try keep them in mind. at some point i hope to have a submit bug/feature request on the site, and then i can categorise them as to which i think i can do and what priority etc. however i dont imagine ill have much time in the short term with uni going back, but if theres enough demand im sure ill be able to do something at some point

• 2 weeks later...

NewKleer it works :P i put it on an ipaq

I finally got my serial sync cable off ebay and only tried it today. I got a null modem cable from jaycar and two gender changers. I havnt had a chance to drive around with it yet but at idle the refresh rate seems pretty good.

Sorry for the poor quality pic, took it using my phone, but you can just make out the AFM and 02 sensor gauge

post-20821-1142155961.jpg

hey mate

i've got an O2XDAII mini

can i install this on my PDA? exactly what cables would i need? is it just one cable from the car to the usb input on my PDA?

also, where in the car does it plug into?

my PDA is quite new and i've never used consult software before...

cheers,

Warren

I think as long as the device runs Windows pocketPC it should work. You'll need the consult cable and the DIY consult kit, I got this from NewKleer a while back. This plugs into your car's ECU consult port near the fuse box.

You then plug this into a null modem cable, I could only get the 9 pin female ones so I had to get two gender changers ($20 total from jaycar)

You also need a serial sync cable for your 02XDA, I got this from ebay for $15.

You end up with a heap of cabling but I stashed it all behind the ash tray and gear box area, theres a surprising amount of space there.

Edited by Gengis

i'm runnign windows 2003SE, but i have installed many programs desgned for windows CE and they all work 100% fine

so let me get this straight re cables:

1 * consult cable (what does it look like?)

1 * DIY consult kit (what does this contain?)

1 * null modem cable (what is this?)

1 * serial sync cable (again, huh?)

cheers,

Warren

Yeah windows 2003se should be fine, as long as its microsoft pocket PC

There are detailed pics of the consult cable and kit in the group buy section, its titled DIY consult kit I think and the thread is started by NewKleer

The null modem cable looks kind of like a vga cable. Jaycar only has the female to female one (pictured)

I had to get gender changer (also from jaycar) to change both ends to male (second pic)

One end of this cable plugs into the consult port, the other end to your serial sync cable.

The serial sync cable looks exactly like your USB sync cable for your O2 but instead of a USB connection, it has a serial connection

post-20821-1142165406.jpg

post-20821-1142165423.jpg

Edited by Gengis

good to see it worked out well for you, thanks for the pic. what model pda do you have? im setting up a compatibility list of pdas and how theyre hooked up on the site (on front page) so if anyone gets it working could you let me know what you used/what pda you have.

consult cable/diy consult kit is the same thing - an interface to convert the consult diagnostic plug signals to rs232 (serial) so it can be used by computers. the diy kit is something i set up a while ago which is no longer running (search threads created by me to find it).

null modem is a serial adaptor that switches the transmit/receive lines around. this is because ur pda uses the serial capabilities to act as a "device" to your computer for syncing, but we want to use the pda as a "host" to the consult interface.

serial sync = what people use to hook their pc's up to their computers before usb came along. if your pda is old enough then it will support serial sync. best way to find out is hop on google and see how people hook ur pda up to serial gps devices (sometimes referred to as gps mouse?)

best null modem adaptor to get is this one: http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=3011213

Edited by NewKleer

so can i get the required cables from tandy? or somewhere else?

not sure if there is a jaycar in Brisbane..

also, let me again clarfiy this cable issue..

car --> null modem cable --> serial sync cable --> pda

does this supply the pda with power to charge it also? or would you have to ensure the battery is full firstly?

cheers,

Warren

no u need the consult interface. car->consult interface->null modem->serial sync->pda. this is assuming ur pda supports serial sync

you would need a seperate cig lighter adaptor for power