SAU Community

Seriously Exhausting 33

Hello all,

I've been doing some serious shopping for an exhaust system for my R33 S2 (not that the S2 bit matters) & so far I've figure out my front pipe, which I'll be getting from BATMBL very soon (I've not seen a better split dump & pleanty seem to recommend them on here). I think I'll be going for a Hi flow CATCO metal cat from him too, though I would like a few opinions on these & if people that have had them fitted think they're worth it. So now I'm down to the cat back system & boy is there some options here. I am looking for a full stainless system, would prefer a twin pipe muffer, but will go a single if the price is right. I'm also after a system that isn't too noisy (I've no intention of using it on the track) & I want to be sure it's going to attach very well. I also want 1 that's tucked up nicely like the standard system is.

So far I've considered going a custom system from Exhaust Technology here in Adelaide with a JunBL twin muffler & custom tips, but at a whopping $1577 for a full stainless (309 high platinum steel I'm told), I'm a little sceptical as to how valuable the system really is.

Xforce is off my list, as I've seen how the stuff yellows after a bit of use & the quality isn't the best.

Blitz Nur Spec R I have considered, but after seeing the horrible welds on a display 1 down at autobahn I'm not too impressed. Is it normal for them to have fairly thick crappy welds? I'm also not sure about them as I've heared they're meant to be pretty loud, and shoving a silencer in kinda defeats the purpose of getting the system in the first place.

Drift exhausts look really good, but are angled which I don't want & meant to be loud as hell.

I have seen a Greaddy Power extreme II (about $850 delivered from Nengun) & titanium composite (about $1150 delivered from Nengun also) systems, but am unsure how well they mount, how loud they are or what kind of quaility.

Roughly similar deal for HKS.

Any opinions on what all these systems are like would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, I'm in exactly the same position as you, S2 R33....Decided upon BATMBL split front/dump + 3" Catco barrel 'metal cat' but the cat-back section is more difficult...I don't want loud or a cannon this time around, therefore the CES cat back looks like the go:

http://www.cesracing.com.au/

...could go custom of course, but I'm wary, I'd prefer to use a tried and true product, I've also heard good things about the Trust Power Extreme II, noise and quality wise (if you're after a cannon style rear).

well

i brought the split dumpipe from him for my r33....

the hole for the o2 sensor is to close to the stock manifold...rests up against it....i had 2 pay the exhaust shop 2 cut back my heat sheald so it wouldnt melt the sensor....

its been ok so far...

he might of had the re designd i dunno

this was in septemeber

Yeah I'd really like a twin pipe muffler, but I've been tempted to go the Trust system just on price alone. I'll be interested to see if anyone has much to say about exhaust technology since it is nearly double the cost, though they're meant to have a big reputation.

I'm not completely sure about CES myself to be honest. After seeing how their split dump was designed I'd be sceptical about buying anything off of them. I think they're meant to be pretty expensive too

well

i brought the split dumpipe from him for my r33....

the hole for the o2 sensor is to close to the stock manifold...rests up against it....i had 2 pay the exhaust shop 2 cut back my heat sheald so it wouldnt melt the sensor....

its been ok so far...

he might of had the re designd i dunno

this was in septemeber

Yeah I'd checked out his thread b4 deciding I wanted 1. When he found out about the problem he had a second O2 sensor hole fitted to a batch that was already made. Now it's been shifted to the back at top I think. Still mounted above horizontal like it should be.

I just put on a split dump + huge stainless steel cat + cannon cat back on my GTT and didnt find that big of an increase in power. Everyone said that there would be a huge difference, I didnt think there was. Dyno result was 163rwkw, and apart from that I only have a panel filter on the car.

So rough estimates, gained maybe 15rwkw from a full 3" system. I would not expect to gain any more (even though I expected at least 25rwkw), I think BATMBLs rwkw figures may be a little misleading as they are from a RB20 which might have more of a restrictive exhaust than the R33/4's have.

And expect your boost to increase with the system too, after I had mine fitted I was running 10psi easily, and on my thrash last nite when it was cool, I found boost was getting closer to 12psi.

CES is really really expensive, as expensive if not more than the japs. A mild steel cat back with magnaflow muffer for my car was quoted at $750. Trust PEII is cheap when compared to this.

Good to see you guys responding:

Wink: I haven't actually found anyone who sells fugistsubo, though i have tried. Any ideas on where I could possibly get 1 from & how are they as far as cost quality & fitment is concerned? I have heard they're meant to be a top notch system

PhatR32: Yeah I've just found one Apexi exhaust that may be worth having on Nengun. First 1 I've seen that's got bigger than 2.5 inch inlet Pretty cheap too for some reason.

Nuffsaid: Pretty interesting to read that you only got a 15 rwkw power gain. What Cat & cat back exhaust system did you use exactly? was it 3 inch?

I ask this because it is still pretty critical that these parts of the system work as well as the dump. U can have the best dump in the world, but if the rest isn't up to par it won't get the gain u expect.

It may also be that the RB25 in a R34 is a development of the 33 engine & their exhaust may already be a better flowing system.

A japanese cat back, brand unknown. Exhaust place that fitted said it was a very very good exhaust. Its 3" and progressively becomes a 3.5".

But yeah I think the R34 exhausts are fairly okay stock and thats why there probably wasnt much improvement as expected.

I have a custom 3' polished stainless steel out of the turbo hiflow cat and it is done in the factory spot aswell for good clearence $2000 al up

it is not loud ether just meaty

cops ask about it i say my last 1 rusted out i got stainless cause it does not rust

i have never heard a nicer sounding one around

went to a exhaust place in perth that did show hotrods v8s and show imports

james

A japanese cat back, brand unknown. Exhaust place that fitted said it was a very very good exhaust. Its 3" and progressively becomes a 3.5".

But yeah I think the R34 exhausts are fairly okay stock and thats why there probably wasnt much improvement as expected.

Hmm there could still be a bit of power being lost to your cat. I'm guessing it's a ceramic type catalyst? From the research I've done on this so far there is a broad varyation in the flow of so called "Hi flow" cat's. The metal type cat's seem to be flowing as much as 20% more air than a large body ceramic type, which in anyone's language is heaps. So I'm thinking I won't be compromising there as they're meant to last a lot longer to, being metal rather than a ceramic that falls apart after so long.

Hmm I still like the idea of a custom exhaust. I may have to try another place in town called Exhaust Techniques. Haven't really heard much about them though.

I'm put off of D&T just from walking in the place & talking to them, plus what others have said about them that know a thing or 2.

I'd go a jap-brand exhaust for quality, ease of fit and you know the system has been specifically designed and tested for your car. They are probably more expensive than a locally made product however.

If you still want something that's bolt-on but you're on a tight budget a DRIFT brand cat-back from Autobarn might be the go.

Or you could look at a used japanese brand cat-back exhaust.

I'd go a jap-brand exhaust for quality, ease of fit and you know the system has been specifically designed and tested for your car. They are probably more expensive than a locally made product however.

If you still want something that's bolt-on but you're on a tight budget a DRIFT brand cat-back from Autobarn might be the go.

Or you could look at a used japanese brand cat-back exhaust.

In actual fact so far the bolt on systems have been either the same price or cheaper than the quotes I've had for a custom system. If I can keep the cost down to say about $1200 for a really good quality system that isn't too noisy I'll be happy. I'm trying to find some1 that sells the Fujitsubo exhausts too. I've heard something about there being a TDX Legalis R series which is twin outlet & I'd prefer if there's such a thing for a R33.

I definantely won't be touching a drift exhaust since they're meant to be loud as hell. I want a bit more noise than the stocky puts out, but not so loud that when I'm crusing it's annoying. For the same reason I'll be fitting a panel filter instead of a loud pod, which from what I've read really does nothing until you're talking 400+ RWKW's & that's a long way off if it ever happens.

I would never consider anything other than waiting on the forums for a good Japanese cat back. Make sure it ain't dented, then just wash the crap out of the inside (acid wash etc) then fit it on. No problem and verifiable quality and sound (if you can find someone else with it).

I have a full custom jobbie - noname stainless steel (looks good tho), 3" dump, hi flow cat, high flow hot dog resonator, trust round muffler to 4" tip. Sounds good and tougher than the cannon that was there previous (and no drone now too).

My advice is if you go cannon get a bigger centre muffler that flows heaps, I mean get a REALLY big one to take the bark out. If you want a really really quiet exhaust get a kakimoto .. I love those things and they sound absolutely AWESOME with rbs. That's what I'd be getting if I had a RB and wanted to keep it quiet but still sound tough.

Kakimoto hey? Yet another 1 to add to the list. I will be looking into that for sure.

The main problem for me is systems that have a real bassy drone to them, that drives me insane after a while. I still want a reasonable amount of bark when I put my foot down, but with not too much bass humm for when I'm cruising. To me an exhaust should sing & roar, not bellow & belch.

It was interesting yesterday I seen two 33 in a matter of minutes, both with big cannon mufflers. 1 of them sounded really bassy and droned, and sounded like a VL. No decent note what so ever. The I seen another literally about a minute later & it had the sweetest burbling tune as it went past with minimal bass. I have a bit of an inclination that it may have been a Greaddy exhaust but cannot be sure.

IVe got a Kakimoto Hyper N1 system and its no where near quiet. Its the Full stainless type. Lots of my mates cant get over the pure note it produces, its unlike anything else. The quiet kakimotos ur talking about and the stock muffler styled ones with a big chrome tip. They are quite good as well

If you want loud - on my old R32 GTS-T with RB25 Conversion, I had a HKS Kansai Twin system. THe car sounded like a devil when revved and popped and banged like a race car. It was so beyond illegal that it was crazy.

When I bought my series 1 I had a choice of a quiet Nismo system or one with a 5 inch drift cannon

seing as how I am too old for noise, I chose the Nismo system

I have to say I am totally impressed with the quite system,, combined with the stainless high flow cat it flows great,,

the best part is you can give it heaps and being quite, it does not attract the boys in blue,, you also get to appreciate the other sounds of the car more,, it just suits the car much more than a f*^#in loud blasting system and my personal opinion is that the RB's really don't sound that great with a cheap and nasty unmuffled system,,,'

but taste is a personal choice and to that it is a choice all it's own, but I have not seen another nismo system like mine nor have I heard one like it either,,

it's nice to be different in at least one thing,,,,lol

cheers

John