SAU Community

How Many Pounds

currently running a t3t4 highflow turbz, forged pistons, metal head gasket, powerfc, racing clutch radararad....but the turbo is running at 15 psi at the moment and loves it....i have heard and read many different things that say how many psi that the t03/t04 turbo is good for but i would just like to know what it really is from a few of the more knowlagble people on here (i cant even spell) with out even coming close to damaging it....

anything will be helpfull

thankx

i ran a hi flow t3/4 for about 8months on 18psi and had no problems and its still it top condition, when i had it on the dyno it didnt gain any more power when i ran it past 18psi

Mine too ran out of puff at 18psi. I don't know what specs it is, but it seems to be somewhat "normal", supposedly flowing up to 400-450hp. My turbo is quite old (best estimate 50k km or so) and doesn't have the 360 degree thrust bearing. The tuner tuned it for 18psi but it was leaking a fair bit of oil through the seals at that point, so we backed it right off after the tune until I either rebuild the turbo or replace it. I'm going for the latter option at the moment. On the plus side, even when it blows some smoke when I have the hammer down, the oil level still never drops noticably between oil changes. Doesn't take much oil to make a lot of smoke.

T3/T4 hybrids , hundreds of possible combinations of compressor/turbine/housing a/r's . Easy to screw together , even easier to build unworkable combinations and ultimately limited by bush bearings and the dinosaur plate/collar thrust bearing - and thats if the wheels are a good match .

Cheers A .

Why do people think more boost = more power. Why is it if you tell someone your running 20psi they go WOW MAN THATS HEAPS OF POWER.

Its just sad that most people have no idea what they are on about.

The more boost the worse it is. If your chasing more power then chances are you need to change something else not turn the boost up. (within reason of the turbo's effiecency range)

Edited by Guilt-Toy

pretty much spot on. the more boost the worse. you really need a compressor map to work out where the efficiency zone is.

that takes out a lot of guesswork. hks dont realease their compressor maps cos they are anal

No they don't because Garrett develop their turbos and have the maps under wraps .

If you can find the wheels type size trim and A/R generally they turn up on line . Many of Garretts maps are available and they often use the compressors HKS specify but in different combinations of turbine and housing style and AR . I give you a hint - look through the Garrett bush bearing turbos at turbobygarrett/products/turbos .

Another hint - try to place the point of greatest efficiency at the torque peak not the redline .

Cheers A .