SAU Community

Alarm Problem

spio

I have problems with my car alarm following the installation of a headunit. I don't know if this is pure coincidence or if i have done something wrong?

Basically, when I arm the alarm, the doors look, then the hazards blink for a period of time. The blinking ceases then the siren goes off. I have also noticed that the interior dome light does not function either (it previously turned on when the alarm was disarmed)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, if you suspect it may have some thing to do with the interior light, disconnect the alarm module from the door switch (I suspect this is how you wired it up) and make sure the wiring is just like it was before you tapped in.

If the problem goes away and the interior light works again and the siren stays silent when arming the alarm (but of coarse it can't go off when you open the doors) then I have a solution. If not, reply to this thread.

The door switches on my skyline use a 2 wire switch, which means the trigger is not pulled off the chassis. The door switch wire from the alarm module needs to tap straight off the interior light wire. I know it sounds tricky but this is the simplest way I found:

1. pull the plastic cover off the A-pillar on the drivers side

2. Unless you have a sunroof there should be a harness with only three wires

3. Grab a multimeter or a test probe

3. only one off those 3 wires becomes positive when a door opens - test this by sitting in the car with only the drivers door open.

4. test each of the 3 wires for 12v - push the door switch in with a free finger to check if the wire looses 12v when the button is pressed in.

Only one of the 3 wires should do that, that is the wire the alarm goes to.

Let us know if this was the problem and how it went.

Hi spio,

Just a tip, dont waste your own time trying to solve a problem with your alarm, remember it is the only thing that may prevent your car from being stolen.

Take your car to a professional and get it done properly. An alarm is only as good as it's instalation.

If you want to save a few bucks then try this.

Disconnect your door sense wire from the car, arm the system and check for error chirps, these are the chirps you are hearing presently, meaning something is staying open.

No chirps, then you have a problem with your door switch,

Reconnect the door sense wire to your door alert wire in your kickpanel.

If you still have no interior light, then there is a problem with the car.

Check your fuses.

(OO_The4door_OO) - FYI - running wires through the head lining for an alarm is usually the hardest thing to do and every professional I have met in the last 10 or so years will only use this as a last resort. Most cars have a sensor or master wire in them and it jsut a matter of knowing where to look - in your R33 it is a thin red wire in your drivers kick panel.

Regards

Pj