SAU Community

History of a 9 second GTR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hehehe, i didn't even know you owned that 33, saw it at drag combat and it was quite impressive, but like everything, completly overshaddowed by the hks GODZILLA, cause if ever a car deserved that title, it's that 33.

Good to see people living the dream, and i'm only a young bloke so hopefully one day i'll be able to do the same to some extent. and even better to see you drive your own cars.

1995 R33 GTR OS 3litre 540kw at wheels (900+hp at engine)

1997 R33 GTR RB26 465kw at wheels (800+hp at engine)

1999 R34 GTR RB26 272kw at wheels (460 hp at engine)

2001 VU SS UTE 6sp 235kw at wheels (420 hp at engine)

2001 GSR EVO VII 240kw at engine (estimated)

Yep, the HKS GTR was awesome to see running.Great bunch of guys too.

Yep, will cruise R33 soon.

We did a photo shoot for SPEED today with the R34, EVO7 & a new 02 model STI.Started at 5.30am & I just got home!(6.30pm)

they take photo shoots very seriously - took all day.And thats the driving shots.Will be at the studio for 1/2 day tomorrow!

Was very suprised after a drag between the EVO & the R34.After a rolling start(didn't want my mate in the EVO to launch it) we both booted it at about 10kmhr.Even in 1st & 2nd. 2nd go at next lights - same result! I was sure the R34 would pull away but there was nothing in it.I know the R34 would launch better but I was still impressed with the EVOs rolling acceleration.

We did a 4 wheel dyno straight after & even in hot conditions & straight after all day driving the EVO made 186kw at all four.

Allowing for 25% loss thats 250kw (335hp) at the engine.

EVO is 1380kg / 250kw = 5.5 kg/kw weight/power ratio.

R34 is 1650kg / 345kw = 4.7 kg/kw weight/power ratio.

97 R33 is 1700kg / 620kw = 2.7 kg/kw !

95 R33 is 1300kg / 700kw = 1.8 kg/kw ! WTF!!!

The R33 is lighter than the EVO & has nearly 3 times the power!!!

Hmmm. I'll never call a Mitsubishi a Bitsofshitti again.

As long as it's an EVO of course.

John Keen at Turbo Tune (with the 4 wheel dyno) was suprised.

He said std EVOs usually make 140kw(at treads) but being the latest incarnation would probably make 150kw.This one has upgraded CPU & HKS exhaust & made 186kw! He said a couple of other EVOs he has dynoed which had extensive modifications made 185kw so at this level of light tuning it was suprising.It is not unusual to get similar std engines that make slightly different power so I guess I just scored a freak one thats extra good.

Suits me - as long as it knows it's place - behing the GTRs of course!!!

Yeah sure - in my 9 second R33.EVOs are sick, but GTRs are bad.

A whole nother level of badness.

BTW - as we all know dyno power figures are not truly representitive of how a car accelerates due to the level of mid range torque that each car has.While overpowered on paper - the EVO7s torque curve must be the explanation to it's performance against the R34.

If the Drag extended beyond 2nd gear then I think the R34 would pull away.

Hi John,

Great to read your story and I'm happy you enjoyed our little Drag Combat event and meeting the HKS guys. We were proud to bring them out and maybe one day Tetsuya and the guys will return for another bout.

I had a second Drag Combat booked for March 15th but Cabin has decided to postpone further Drag Combat events until the new track is opened in Sydney - which CEO David Cook tells us should happen by year's end.

While I'm in New Zealand in June I plan on approaching their resident 8-second GTR owner Reece McGregor to see if he's interesed in a Cabin funded trek to Sydney to face of against the likes of yourself, Mario and Kier. I'd like to bring him (and maybe another NZ car) to Australia for the first Drag Combat in Sydney - which we hope can happen late this year or early next year. I reckon that'll make for a fun event - what do you think?

Hell, maybe I'll even get a few moments during the next Drag Combat to race my own R33 GTR down the strip once or twice - hey?

I'm in Adelaide for four days starting Wednesday next week to build a 180SX drift car with Danny at JMS (which will be given away to a spectator of Auto Salon shows this year!) so hopefully we can catch up for a few beers.

I'm also meeting with Tony Thornton from ANDRA to square away some details about the Drag Combat national series we plan to launch in 2004. I'd love to hear your's and Martin's ideas about it while I'm there. The more feedback I get from the car builders and racers the better I can make the series work for everyone involved.

Damon Dupriez

Cabin Group P/L

Would it be possible to bring out some of NZ's top FWD cars by invitation?

Now that would really mix things up, especially with Hypertune's Black Civic, the CRX known as [PROCRX], Steven Kaddour's Integra VTIR and of course Nathan Semmen's CRX and CRD's Civic dragger....

Sounds pretty good to me Damon.I'll drop around JMS & say g'day.Failing that I'm not usually too far away from Tilbrooks.Will take you for a hotlap up the gorge if you are game.

Since Reece is campaiging his R32 at a super competitive level (quicker than Mario at the moment!), I reckon if we were to bring another OS car here it should be him right now - especially considering the interest in GTRs here.

It costs the same in shipping to bring two as it does to bring one car, so we'd probably look at one of the quick FWD boys too so that Online and Croydon have some motivation to get their FWD cars sorted and to the track in competitive, reliable trim.

Damon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after the latest run of 9.45, we are pulling the engine out to check everything over.I am pleased that this is happening for maintainence! & not cause something is broken. When it goes back together it will have a complete new turbo/induction setup.

New custom plenum,throttle body,intercooler,manifold,wastegate,

& a T51R BB single turbo.We are also looking at the flatshifter motec option & putting in a 5 bar map sensor as we are hitting boost cut on the 3 bar one.Hopefully will have it all ready for the 31st May T&T session with close to 600kw(800hp) at the wheels.

Keir has a huge pair of T67s (TD06-25g) on his car now & the biggest intercooler I have ever seen! Gloves are off now - we are going after the Jap top ten on radials.should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...