SAU Community

Has Anyone Built Their Own Bov?

ok well today I refurbished a BOV, dismantled the whole thing, checked for damage, cleaned, polished and greased the spring etc, and I noticed how simple BOVs are,

so I was just wondering if anyone had attempted or made their own BOV?, seems like they could be made fairly easy, with a lathe and a few welds, and it wouldn't be too hard for a good quality job.

cheers

A guy I went to school with made one in yr 12.. Looked the goods. Said he tested it on an air compressor and it worked... If you can get the spring rate right and used the right metal I spose it could be done effectively. There are work shops out there that will make you a custom one as well.

why bother?

is ther esomething worng with the stocker?

or GTR ones you can buy for $150 for the pair?

or the cheapo aftermarket ones which would be made just like the one you plan on making?

just seems like a waste of time, effort, money, time.

why bother?

is ther esomething worng with the stocker?

or GTR ones you can buy for $150 for the pair?

or the cheapo aftermarket ones which would be made just like the one you plan on making?

just seems like a waste of time, effort, money, time.

Oath to that..

yeah all those reasons, its very satisfying to make things yourself.

I didnt say I was going to but for instance, if you needed a good quality bov suitable for holding big psi, and you didnt have the money, it could be an option, looks like around $15-20 worth of metal and parts, and about 2-3hrs work if you had access to a workshop.

oh and alot of cars dont come with BOVs and alot of the ones that do arent good for high boost.

Edited by midnight

My old man and I made 2 or 3, which i used on my ET Pulsar and at the very begining of owning my Skyline.

They are very simple to make if you have a lathe which my old man does and some Aluminium.

The spring rate is hard to get right but its a matter of trial an error.

I then bought a HKS one and started having issues, this was when i realised Atmo BOV are hard to tune right, so i now run the Std plumbed back ....

yeah all those reasons, its very satisfying to make things yourself.

I didnt say I was going to but for instance, if you needed a good quality bov suitable for holding big psi, and you didnt have the money, it could be an option, looks like around $15-20 worth of metal and parts, and about 2-3hrs work if you had access to a workshop.

oh and alot of cars dont come with BOVs and alot of the ones that do arent good for high boost.

ok.

however, I question why someone who needs to "hold big psi" doesn't have $200 for a bov.

this "big psi" is obviously not comming fro the stock turbo, so you would have spent about $2K on a turbo.

about another $2K for supporting mods for fuel and clutch and so forth.

intercooler, wastegate, possibly a full rebuild with forged bits etc...

I don't think another $200 for a bov from say GFB is going to break the bank...

But if by big PSI you are talking about 1 bar from stock turbo, don't worry.. the stocker can handle it.

if you are talking big psi like 30 psi making something over 600rwkw from a 2jzgte or rb26, then don't worry, the stock pair of $150 GTR bovs handles that too.

The Stock SR20 bov from S14-15 has been tested with 100psi on both sides of the piston (just like when you are on boost) and it doesn't leak.

of course releasing 100 psi might be an issue for the piston and opening of th ebov but that's a different story..

point is, making a bov maybe satisfying, but in the end it's useless when a stocker can be had for same price or less, and work better.

I think that the guy that made the $22 boost controller.... he made something usefull.

even when they were being sold for $22, he was still making a tiny profit and it was a device that works very well and was needed and useful.

anyway, my view only.

i made one years ago.....i also made a few wastegate's...i like making my own stuff.....and you know what.....I really dont care if it ends up costing me double on what i can buy one for....some of the best,neatest parts i have seen have been made by the owners themselves

GTST, my car did not come with a bov, and at the end of the day $20 of materials is still cheaper than $200 for a GFB or $400 for a trust type R.

and what about if you were a machinist or mechanic on an apprentice wage?

I myself bought a secondhand professor sheepdog BOV quite cheap, I stripped it down and completely refurbished it and am planning on modifing it for plumbback, so it looks like ill be in a workshop anyway.

but yeah the point of the thread was to see if people had built their own, and judging by the replys, a few people have and have come up with decent results, take ylwgtr2, who built a bov and a wastegate, a good quality wastegate costs quite abit.

When I was in highschool I used to spend most of my electronics class on the lathe, making up useless crap that I did not need, but I enjoyed being able to think up something, and have the ability to actually create it.

so yeah if I'm ever in a workshop with time to kill, i'll probably make one.

Edited by midnight

could you make a different sounding BOV?

im still more then happy with the standard bov thats already on my car

Edited by RSTME

wow that's going to release a lot of pressure in a hurry looking at those vents.

Looks really nice and simple.

I would love to make my own but i don't have a lathe. :teehee:

I wouldn't care if it cost me $200 to make one i love making my own stuff...

I have done all my own mods on all my own cars. Big ups for all those that have made their own...