SAU Community

Steering moving by itself when the car was stationary!!

RBN1

ok was driving the other day at 2am in the morning and made a stop to check the street directory. I noticed the HICAS light came on and the the steering wheel started to flick a little to one side by itself! It stopped so I continued driving. Made another stop in a car park and once again the HICAS light comes on and the steering flicks slightly.

This time I didn't take any chances. Turned the car off then tried to start it up again - nothing! It just makes a clicking noise from the starter? and thats it. Next day went back to it and it starts fine all off a sudden after a whole heap of goes. No problems ever since.

Anyone got any suggest wtf this weird problem might be?

Have you checked the level of the power steering pump? (and the one in the boot for hicas EDIT: sorry ATTESSA )

Also have you run diagnostics?

http://www.powerlink.co.nz/~graeme/faq/tree.html

That can be found at the above link!

Strange how the steering wheel moves by it self?

You might need the doctor to do an exorcism! :bahaha:

MEGA

Firstly (once again), the fluid reservoir in the boot is for ATTESSA (4WD).

Now, deorbit, has anyone played with the alternator recently? Make sure all the connections are firm. And check the P/S fluid.

The hicas light is usually the first to come on when theres low voltage, which may make it also sulk and go into diags, which makes the rears move. This is can be felt through the steering wheel and will twitch left and right every couple of seconds.

When you sort out your electrics, I think you'll find your hicas will be fine... As above, check your alternator and earths first...