SAU Community

Auto - Overdive On Or Off

just wondering if their is any difference if the car is on overdrive when on acceleration

does it go any faster or slower

isnt overdrive just an extra gear? but i have noticed too that when it is on... gear changes more earlier on the revs. anyone have any experiences with this?

also in the auto skylines does anyone know what the power button do?

correct me if im wrong but i think it allows the gear to change at a higher rev?

does having this on affect acceleration aswell? what about both?

any auto experts here

technically, overdirve is any gear with a ratio of less than 1:1 (i think).. but its easier to think of overdrive as a 4th gear...

in an automatic car, the overdrive will engage when the car is cruising at speeds above 50-60km/h

so, on acceleration, it doesn't matter if the overdrive is in or not, because it won't be engaged

what does the power button do?

it makes the car change gears at redline instead of just below redline. on hard acceleration, the power system self-engages (because the gearbox is smart). So, no actual effect on power, but a positive effect on acceleration as it allows the car to rev higher thus make power for longer

the only other thing is the hold button. i rarely use it. when stationary and pressed, you take off in 2nd gear. when in drive, it holds the gear you are in until its turned off. useful? probably not...

cheers,

Warren

technically, overdirve is any gear with a ratio of less than 1:1 (i think).. but its easier to think of overdrive as a 4th gear...

in an automatic car, the overdrive will engage when the car is cruising at speeds above 50-60km/h

so, on acceleration, it doesn't matter if the overdrive is in or not, because it won't be engaged

what does the power button do?

it makes the car change gears at redline instead of just below redline. on hard acceleration, the power system self-engages (because the gearbox is smart). So, no actual effect on power, but a positive effect on acceleration as it allows the car to rev higher thus make power for longer

the only other thing is the hold button. i rarely use it. when stationary and pressed, you take off in 2nd gear. when in drive, it holds the gear you are in until its turned off. useful? probably not...

cheers,

Warren

yeah that right.. i also drive r32 gtst auto.. :(