SAU Community

brake fluid

hippy

ok i've done a search but it hasn't really got the info i'm looking for ... i'm going to change my brake pads soon to bendix ultimates and i wanna flush the brake system ... i was wondering if u guys can recommend me a good fluid ... something i can get at a shop like autobahn ... so i can ask the mechanic to put that in instead of maybe something he has lying around his workshop ... what are the standard stuff?? and what are the higher performance stuff?? and what do u use??

I don't know what the "standard stuff" is.... some people recommend castrol brake fluid and stuff like that.

I use Motul DOT 5.1 fluid.... you can get higher still by getting HKS which is like $100 a litre hehe

look through the old text archives, there is some info in there.

Post the pricing for the pads as well when you get them. Interested on how much it will be if/when i need to replace mine.

hmmm... thanks for that guys ... i got quoted at autobahn the following:

ebc greenstuff: 181

bendix advance: 65

bendix ultimate: 114

note: i'm in adelaide so it might be different and the mechanic said he should be able to get it for abit cheaper cause he can go through the wholesaler and give a discount cause hes fitting them.

I use Silkolene Dot 4. Much better performing than the regular Mobil you can buy off the shelf at big auto shops.

Try motocycle shops, they usually have a very good selection of performance brake fluids like Motul, Silkolene, Belray etc..

Red17

hippy,

Go with the top of the range Motul brake fluid - RBF600.

RBF600 (Race Brake Fluid ~600'F) has a 312'c dry boiling point & a wet boiling point of 216'c - It's pretty cheap @ $25per bottle (500ml)

As previously mentioned, 1 bottle for a basic change, 2 bottles for full flush.

Motul Dot 5.1 is rated @ 185'c wet boiling point (they don't list the dry bp?)

You can get RBF600 @ Autobarn in Mild End

umm ... i don't have a race car ... its just for driving around .. do u still recommend that stuff?? whats the difference from the normal castrol stuff?? i mean on the wear and tear of the pads and the stopping power with say bendix pads i'm getting??