SAU Community

Cams A Lumpy Idle

Roy

I have read a few times and seen evidence that the Poncams dont upset the idle...but i hate how smooth the RB is at idle...its no 427 or even old school cam'd 240Z.

So of the other cams, Greddy, HKS does anyone have any experience with cams around the 260 duration with 8.5-8.8mm lift?

As well as the gain in mid-top power i want a bit of fart and lump at idle :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because RBs sound like my vacuum cleaner at idle...the tacho needs to bounce around at idle :D

Running a PFc so no rotational idle for me, if i ahd an Autonic :)

And no way i want to run a cam anywhere near as big as 272 unless someone can show me a reliable before / after comparison on a similar engine.

You make me laugh :D

The only time i've heard an angry RB is when there are some large cams being used like in Daves car... and the old Jet33... Jacks car has a very slight difference but not major

They werent 260/8.5 though :)

I have 260/9.15mm Poncams with a standard engine and have a lumpy idle, its nowhere near what Busters built engine is (pure sex) but I still love the lumpy idle I have.

hks cams in my experience are very lopey compared to other 'jdm' brand cams, my tomei's are super smooth with an occaional hickup.

as for running 9.15mm lift i think you will def need to grind the head a bit as my 8.9mm cams BARELY clear the head.

It's alot easier if you go straight to a peripheral port, or a large bridge port. Running a stocker isn't going to cut it, especially with a restrictive exhaust.

Lucky Brett went straight for the extendedly bridged peripheral port, and can now hang his nuts out with the Pac crew. Rockin!

It's alot easier if you go straight to a peripheral port, or a large bridge port. Running a stocker isn't going to cut it, especially with a restrictive exhaust.

Lucky Brett went straight for the extendedly bridged peripheral port, and can now hang his nuts out with the Pac crew. Rockin!

I was looking at doing a backyard J-Port, but was worried that would hurt fuel economy, nad heave heard Jports dont lend themselves to forced induction.

Nah bro, you've just got to get a large angle grinder - or better yet a dropsaw. That's the problem, you're acting too pedantic and being far too meticulous with your work. Hack harder and you'll go faster. I bet it takes you 3 weeks to do a half meter section of intake pipe?

For budget's sake you could have a toggle switch that turns off a couple of coil packs mounted in the cabin.

Nah bro, you've just got to get a large angle grinder - or better yet a dropsaw. That's the problem, you're acting too pedantic and being far too meticulous with your work. Hack harder and you'll go faster. I bet it takes you 3 weeks to do a half meter section of intake pipe?

For budget's sake you could have a toggle switch that turns off a couple of coil packs mounted in the cabin.

3 weeks? I thought it took longer then that. :worship:

And i want to hear more about this budget thing...does turning off coil packs help you make more power....you aint my daddy. Are you?

Farks sake...camshaft help please. Your car idled pretty cool. What size were those cams?

I was looking at doing a backyard J-Port, but was worried that would hurt fuel economy, nad heave heard Jports dont lend themselves to forced induction.

Who cars man just grind the biggest eyelet you can, go all the way into the water jacket you dont need that coolant stuff. Anyway who cares as long as it sounds tough and doesnt idle below 2500rpm.

http://www.ipswichrotorcrew.com/Steves%20p...ids/tristan.avi

http://www.ipswichrotorcrew.com/Steves%20p...ds/tristan1.avi

Right Click save target as.

Got tough Idle?

Edited by Rolls