SAU Community

R33 Battery Conversion

'cause it's got to be the worst possible place to put a battery. not only do you lose valuable space in the already small boot, but you get a significant voltage loss through the cable that runs from one end of the car to the other, meaning that any problems with the charge in the battery is magnifyed.

lol!!! Ive got a R32GTR and am preparing to move my battery from the bonnet to the boot!!!

Might be easier for the both of us if we simply swap cars!!! :P

lol. yeah, sure. if you're happy going from a R32GTR to a R33 GTS. works for me. :)

'cause it's got to be the worst possible place to put a battery. not only do you lose valuable space in the already small boot, but you get a significant voltage loss through the cable that runs from one end of the car to the other, meaning that any problems with the charge in the battery is magnifyed.

Define significant? Has it been a problem for you?

I'd suggest trying to isolate what's wrong before you do that. If it's your battery- get a new one. Otherwise, you could simply upgrade the factory wiring to better quality cable, incl the grounding points too.

That being said, I don't know anyone who's moved their battery from the boot :P

The current location also makes it a lot easier for stereo installs, no need to run cables all the way to the back if the battery is already there.

You clearly have something wrong with your electrical system. Fix that rather than attmepting a bandaid, which probably won't fix it anyway.

If you have a look at the cable, it is a big mofo. Voltage drop is very minimal.

You say that boot is already small. What, do you plan on putting something up on the top battery shelf? hmmm, like maybe a pad of paper? or a book? maybe a pair of undies? coz you won't fit much up there

Define significant? Has it been a problem for you?

I'd suggest trying to isolate what's wrong before you do that. If it's your battery- get a new one. Otherwise, you could simply upgrade the factory wiring to better quality cable, incl the grounding points too.

That being said, I don't know anyone who's moved their battery from the boot :P

The current location also makes it a lot easier for stereo installs, no need to run cables all the way to the back if the battery is already there.

it has been a little bit of a problem for me. if i dont' drive a lot for a couple of weeks, the car does have a bit of trouble starting , but my battery is only about 18 months old and still holds a good charge so that's not my problem.

It is a basic rule of electronics that the longer and thicker the cable/wire coming from a battery, the higher resistance there is,and the higher the resistance, the more voltage is lost through that cable. And obviously the more voltage you lose, the less effective the starter motor will be to crank the engine into life. So instead of you being able to lose say 2 Volts of charge from your battery and still being able to start the car, with the battery so far away you may only be able to lose 1 Volt of charge. Obviously, the more you have hanging off the battery, the more drain you'll get. It's not a huge problem for me, but it does say something that 99% of cars have the battery under the bonnet within a meter of the starter.

Obviously it's not sounding like anyone considers this mod worthwhile

if its still the standard size batt, then id change it to a slightly larger one, which most cars have. cause it is a small battery.

ive left my car for over 2 weeks before and it had no problems at all starting up. so i think you might have a wireing problem there that would need looking at.

it has been a little bit of a problem for me. if i dont' drive a lot for a couple of weeks, the car does have a bit of trouble starting , but my battery is only about 18 months old and still holds a good charge so that's not my problem.

Just get a bigger battery, the original battery is to small. Even if you put it in the engine bay you will have the same problem

I measured the drop in voltage from the alternator and also at the back. I also did it when the car was off. The voltage drop was negligible. We're talking like 0.2V.

you obviously have an electrical problem like I said above. moving the batt won't fix it.

Could be a dead batt - just coz it's 18 months old doens't mean it's still good. might be too small.

could be bad ground - clean them and make sure they're tight.

could be dead alternator.

I've left my car for 1 month and it still started.

Thicker cable = less resistance . Thats the reason they use a thick cable .

sorry guys. i got my wires crossed (pun completely intended). thicker cable does = less resistance.

what kind of batteries do others use and where did u get them? regular sales points like beaurepairs and the like don't seem to know much about the skyline's battery. One guy put a regular lead acid battery in it instead of the sealed lead acid type and the thing leaked all in my boot!!! thankfully i fixed that really quick.

Edited by vannic