SAU Community

Brembo Brakes For 260rs

stasis

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion, borrow a set from someone, leave a reasonable deposit, get compliance and then send them back. Then contact Racebrakes www.racebrakes.com.au for your longer term needs.

Brembo make a range of calipers and I don't believe they would build a special one for a single manufacturer application. Howard at racebrakes would know. My understanding is the Nissan Brembos are the bottom of the Brembo marketing scale and all take the same pads, but I may be wrong. Mine looked the same a a set of R34's when I did the pads on them.

How will they know what pads are in there anyway if the workshop doing compliance doesn't fit them? They will just look to see what the pad remaining is and state they have plenty left.

My suggestion, borrow a set from someone, leave a reasonable deposit, get compliance and then send them back. Then contact Racebrakes www.racebrakes.com.au for your longer term needs.

Brembo make a range of calipers and I don't believe they would build a special one for a single manufacturer application. Howard at racebrakes would know. My understanding is the Nissan Brembos are the bottom of the Brembo marketing scale and all take the same pads, but I may be wrong. Mine looked the same a a set of R34's when I did the pads on them.

How will they know what pads are in there anyway if the workshop doing compliance doesn't fit them? They will just look to see what the pad remaining is and state they have plenty left.

yea we can do that but the cost of labor in mucking around will offset the costs. My thinking was if during compliance if the pads needs changing (if they are not willing to close one eye on it) then the quickest and cheapest way of doing it is get the AFMS ones and let them fit it.

I have asked around and they said that the stageas brembo brakes are the same as the GTRS ones. i think its the 32 or 33s. Not sure when they say GTRS which model though. I didnt ask them that cos normally im a bit brain dead.

Actually it only takes half an hour to remove and replace pads if you don't need a bleed because they are only pinned in and slide out the top.

Racebrakes RB74's for the front axle were about $170 last I asked but check anyway, so that is a massive saving in itself. The labour, if you are unprepared to do it yourself would be no more than $70.

Having more of a look about, it becomes more apparent to me that there is no difference between R32 N1 calipers, R33 and R34 Brembos except the 34's are gold which is usually worth about 1K extra.

I had some pads in the garage I bought off jlnewton. Couple of sets actually and having checked one set are complete stockers with 65-70% left so there is an option.

BTW funkymonkey works at J-Spec and is a mate of mine, and I'm seeing him and the boys from J-Spec this weekend at DECA in Shepparton so if we can't work something out then there is something wrong.

I personally don't like the stock pads much so don't want to see people driving and paying a fortune on what I consider substandard product.

Actually it only takes half an hour to remove and replace pads if you don't need a bleed because they are only pinned in and slide out the top.

Racebrakes RB74's for the front axle were about $170 last I asked but check anyway, so that is a massive saving in itself. The labour, if you are unprepared to do it yourself would be no more than $70.

Having more of a look about, it becomes more apparent to me that there is no difference between R32 N1 calipers, R33 and R34 Brembos except the 34's are gold which is usually worth about 1K extra.

I had some pads in the garage I bought off jlnewton. Couple of sets actually and having checked one set are complete stockers with 65-70% left so there is an option.

BTW funkymonkey works at J-Spec and is a mate of mine, and I'm seeing him and the boys from J-Spec this weekend at DECA in Shepparton so if we can't work something out then there is something wrong.

I personally don't like the stock pads much so don't want to see people driving and paying a fortune on what I consider substandard product.

Ok . doesnt the compliance changes the brakes for you while the car is in the workshop? Thanks for clearifying about the callipers on the stageas and the skylines that will helped alot.

Hmm by any chance fungkymongkey Craig? Actually Deca is only an hour away from me :P . Where the car will be as well when it gets here. (dont when) Still waiting on the news from Jspec as when it will get shipped out from Japan in a container. its been 3 wks since i bought the car and it really pissed me off for being so slow on the Japan side.

Craig and funky (Shan) are 2 different people but both will be at DECA. Make the time to come and watch a bit, and even get a ride on the pan.

While J-Spec can do the pads, ou really don't want to ve paying a grand extra for pads alone.

I don't exactly know if they are required to just check for wear, replace pads regardless with new or even check they have stock pads but worth having a chat on Saturday.

Craig and funky (Shan) are 2 different people but both will be at DECA. Make the time to come and watch a bit, and even get a ride on the pan.

While J-Spec can do the pads, ou really don't want to ve paying a grand extra for pads alone.

I don't exactly know if they are required to just check for wear, replace pads regardless with new or even check they have stock pads but worth having a chat on Saturday.

Love to come but im overseas ATM so... i can make it. what a bummer.

So the compliance center dont actually replace the pads for you? They have to take it out to a brake shop to do it?

Too bad you can't be there. Next one is Sept.

I'm sure the compliance centre does all mechanicals, but not certain what their obligations are, eg. have to replace pads regardless, have to replace fluids etc. They may or may not have to do these. It's a while since I imported cars.

Too bad you can't be there. Next one is Sept.

I'm sure the compliance centre does all mechanicals, but not certain what their obligations are, eg. have to replace pads regardless, have to replace fluids etc. They may or may not have to do these. It's a while since I imported cars.

yea probably will joing you guys then if the car gets here before than. Im just stoke that they have to replace the brake pads with a genuine pads. If the pads are to thin when it reaches the shore. Im really pissed about it

ok guys got an update. I emalied racebrakes and they sell the pads for brembos front and rears for under $500. not bad. I think the pards are made by them. Cost of installation $45/end. i though that was pretty expensive

Cost of installation $45/end. i though that was pretty expensive

It takes skill, knowledge and time, can you do it yourself? If not it's something you can't afford to stuff up... You don't shop around for the cheapest Doctor! Maybe you do... I would do it myself so I can't really relate but you get what you pay for is a good place to start, I wouldn't take my obscure import and $500 worth of new pads to KMart and get them to fit them...

Good luck, you might not even need them, how many KM's (they could be false I guess) has the 260 got on it?

Cheers

Luke

Get off!! It takes a spanner, some screwdrivers and a hands free brake bleeder with some brake fluid.

Attach bleeder. crack off bleed nut just enough to allow fluid to bleed out under pressure. drive old pads all the way off the disc with screwdrivers while fluid bleeds out and pistons are depressed back into caliper. replace with new pads after a general clean up and inspection of rubbers, note location and orientation of parts as you disassemble. depress pedal a few times to bleed old fluid, top up fluid as you go and when clean fuid fills the tube on the bleeder tighten bleed nut. repeat another 3 times and test pedal pressure at end. test drive cautiously and bed pads in when satisfied brakes work fine.

Monkey work for apprentices.

If Racebrakes charge $90 an hour then the price is about right.

Get off!! It takes a spanner, some screwdrivers and a hands free brake bleeder with some brake fluid.

Yeah... that's what I said, except I lef the "Get off!!" bit out... Every home mech has a hands free brake bleeder...

It takes skill, knowledge and time, can you do it yourself? If not it's something you can't afford to stuff up... You don't shop around for the cheapest Doctor! Maybe you do... I would do it myself so I can't really relate but you get what you pay for is a good place to start, I wouldn't take my obscure import and $500 worth of new pads to KMart and get them to fit them...

Good luck, you might not even need them, how many KM's (they could be false I guess) has the 260 got on it?

Cheers

Luke

its got 69k on it. i dont think that i will need the pads since the car in japan are driven mostly on highways. i might be wrong but i got a feeling that it will be close to replacing the pads though. hope that i dont need to replace it during compliance

thanks guys for the advice on the pads replacement guide

Edited by stasis

Yeah... that's what I said, except I lef the "Get off!!" bit out... Every home mech has a hands free brake bleeder...

I dont, where can you get them from ??

LOL

Sorry Tangles, sarcasm...

Not at all!

Yeah, Ive always done everything to my own brakes (on cars and bikes) EXCEPT bleed them as Ive always been iffy about getting it wrong.

Cheers for the links - ebay, I should have known!

it should be pretty easy to change the pads isnt it? i dont have any idead how hard is it to do it and do i have to bleed it when i change the pad?

It depends, I know on the RS4 its pretty staight forward but i have to remove the caliper. On other cars, they just swing open and can be changed.. to be honest, i dont know about brembos but im pretty sure it isnt hard at all...