SAU Community

R33 Glass Headlights

can anyone tell me if the where one might find a set of these glass headlights for the R33? i'm sure we're all in the same boat with the discolouration of the plastic headlights on the R33. are they an aftermarket thing? or are they from the S2? if so, do they fit a S1? all info appreciated.

*updated* actually, i've just found out that apparently the series 3 GTR had a glass headlight assembly. does anyone know more info on this?

Edited by vannic

yup no glass headlights.. its dangerous having glass anyways.. In terms of safety!! (this is what i have heard and is probably true)

Now you can get those glass cleaner thingys for 20bucks, but takes a lot of effort to make it all shiny and back to normal.

Justjap apparently sell them..

Also wondered why it happens, and its only one side and not both?? anyone know?

I can clean the outside no problem, but the inside is starting to get that yellow haze everyone bitches about.

Apparently you can pry the headlights open by putting them in the oven & separating the parts when the glue melts, but there's no way I trust myself to do that. Might get them cleaned professionally later down the track.

Have you tried a Nissan Dealership that sales import parts. On previous occations i found new parts CHEAPER than second hand parts :P

Have you tried a Nissan Dealership that sales import parts. On previous occations i found new parts CHEAPER than second hand parts :P

that's true. my local nissan dealer (ferntree gully) deals in import parts which completely surprised me. however, i think a new headlight assembly would be big $$$. might be worth asking tho.

Car Toys offers a Headlight Treatment for $99 a Pair.

Tell them Dale from PSI Parts sent you.

Here is the description of there service.

Most cars these days use plastic headlights that eventually discolour with use and UV from the sun. Japanese imports such as Nissan Skylines & Silvias, Toyota Supras & Soarers are often particularly discoloured, affecting light performance. Our 'rejuvenating Process' brings them up almost like new, and the ultragloss coating adds protection for the future, with greatl improved optical clarity.

arent the s3 r33 lights glass? Or perhaps the pics I saw of them were just extremely clean for head lights.

No they are not. They are plastic.

• 2 weeks later...
that's true. my local nissan dealer (ferntree gully) deals in import parts which completely surprised me. however, i think a new headlight assembly would be big $$$. might be worth asking tho.

$560 per assmbly!! just look at my avatar mmm nice clean lights haha

try adding some car wax/polish on them a few times, i did this with mine and i noticed them go really clear.. make sure you wash them on the outside before adding the polish.. this will shine them up(give them a clear look), but wont affect the discolouration from the inside..

Edited by MKDR33

well my mate brought a sedan and has stained covers, very simple to fix, follow this procedure.

1. Buy a Automotive body cutting compound. The stuff you use as a first polish on a car after a new paintjob, it is quite corse and green. Apply to rug and polish the plastic. Do this by hand, or with a non-rotating buffer. A rotating buffer tends to swirl to much. Once the polish is dry buff off.

2. Get some normal cut and polish, form autobarn, cheep stuff is ok. Apply and buff and polish as per normal. Do this twice, possibly 3 times.

3. Get some GLASS POLISH, it is used for polishing windows. Autobarn has this. Apply as per instruction. Depending on how well step 2 worked, you may only need to do this once.

I have no pics but my mate was stocked and the covers look like new and very shinny.

PS. I take no responsability if somone stuffs one up, but i has worked for us.