SAU Community

Rough Idle (intercooler Leak)

Does any body know if a rough idle can be caused by leaking intercooler pipes. Because my 32 is idle ing up n down between 500-2000 on and off. and if u hold it on around 2500 it has a miss occasionally. Can stale fuel cause this also as my car has been sitting for the last 3 months. any held wuld be great.

Does it ever stall out on you at lights or pulling up somewhere and stopping?

or just rough idle?

i think there is a diy article on how to reset your computer idle and base idle, there are 2 different settings if im not mistaken.

cheers mate

yes a hole/leak in your IC piping or IC will cause these issues..

AFM car and its sucking air from else where..

check it out and move onto next thing..

3 months isn't going to cause stale fuel.

if it idles like that how does it drive when you accelerate?

is it drivable?

does it rev out and boost properly?

I jsut recently had a problem where the car would cut out.

nd occasionally rev between 500 - 2000 rpm.

my issue turned out to be a dirty air flow meter.

I took the AFM off the car (1 plug 1 clamp and 4 bolts) and sprayed the inside of the AFm with degreaser then washed it out.

shook it dry then dried it out properly with a hair dryer.

now it workds great, idles better than it ever did and revs out clean.

it is also smoother to drive.

might be worth a check if you havn't already done so

Could be the case of a stuffed BOV..

is yours the stock one? or some aftermarket vented BOV?

If its an aftermarket one, it could have ceased up and letting air come into the motor before the AFM gets to read it when your idling hence causing the car to stall

Edited by johnnilicte

or if your bov is the stock one and you have vented it to atmo then it could be leaking. we took the plumb back hose of my mates 33 on the weekend and it wouldn't idle unless we put our hand over the bov to stop it leaking. and mine does the same thing. we plug up the plumb back hose and it won't idle unless we plug up the bov as well cause it was leaking like a $2 hooker. both bovs dump ok and don't leak boost under revs but they leak at idle when not plumbed back. any ideas why?

i'm looking at upgrading it to an aftermarket plumb back.

Edited by mad082

Does any body know if a rough idle can be caused by leaking intercooler pipes. Because my 32 is idle ing up n down between 500-2000 on and off. and if u hold it on around 2500 it has a miss occasionally. Can stale fuel cause this also as my car has been sitting for the last 3 months. any held wuld be great.

Mine did this after I got it back from a respray. They had it for 3months and it apparently hadn't been started the whole time, simply pushed around.

Mine idled like crap, blew lots of black smoke and had to be held up around 2500-3000rpm otherwise it would stall.

Eventually it came good, unsure exactly what it was but approx 6months later the injectors died, they began stalling the car when cold, it was really difficult to start when cold and a flat spot could be felt on the tip of the accelerator, the flat spot was much worse when cold. I wasn't able to touch the accelerator if it was idling ok as it would cause it to stall instantly. Fuel consumption was bad also.

Replaced injectors, fuel consumption instantly awesome and no starting problems.

Yeh it has a aftermarket bov That vents to the atmophere. I hav jus cleand the afm as it was covered in oil and black shit due to turbo blowing. havent tried yet also found that there was moisture around the coilpacks.

what if you have no BOV at all? would idle problems (cold start - 2000rpm, warm engine stalling issues) be related to this, or more likely to be Idle Air Control Valve?

Don't mean to hijack sorry.

could be idle control valve, tps, cold start system or a mix of them all. at idle and acellerating no bov and bov equiped cars are the same, as the bov is shut, its only when you lift off that there is any difference.