SAU Community

Power Fc Problems (new One)

HELLO EVERYONE,

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A POST SOMETHING ON THIS FORUM, BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A READER.

I HAVE RECENTLY ECOUNTERED A PROBLEM WITH A POWER FC. AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAD ANY IDEAS.

I PURCHASED Z32 AFMS TO INSTALL ON MY RB26 AND HENCE I GOT THE POWER FC IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO TUNE IT FOR THE NEW AFMS. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE AFMS WIRING TO THE RB26 INSTRUCTIONS WAS IN JAPANESE AND THEREFORE I TRIED WIRING THEM WITHOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS. AS A RESULT, I GUESS I DID THE WIRING WRONG, AND SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY POWER FC, A SERIOUS CLICKING SOUND IS COMING FORM THE RELAYS BOXES NEXT TO THE ENGINE AND THE ONE IN THE TRUNK AND THE POWER FC JUST GETS STUCK ON THE START UP SCREEN ON THE COMMANDER.

WHEN I PUT THE ORIGINAL ECU BACK THE CAR RUNS FINE (WITH THE ORIGINAL AFMS OF COURSE).

BEFORE TRYING TO WIRE THE Z32 AFMS I HAD THE POWER FC INSTALLED AND WAS RUNNING EXCELLENT FOR A FEW DAYS.

ANYWAY, I SENT THE THING BACK TO APEXI AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE POWER FC WAS FINE AND NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH IT.

BEFORE I SENT IT I EVEN TRIED RUNNING IT WITH THE OEM AFMS AFTER THE Z32 AFMS INCIDENT AND IT STILL WOULDN'T WORK, SO I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE PROBLEM WAS FROM THE POWER FC.

IF ANYONE COULD HELP I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

HELLO EVERYONE,

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME A POST SOMETHING ON THIS FORUM, BUT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A READER.

I HAVE RECENTLY ECOUNTERED A PROBLEM WITH A POWER FC. AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAD ANY IDEAS.

I PURCHASED Z32 AFMS TO INSTALL ON MY RB26 AND HENCE I GOT THE POWER FC IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO TUNE IT FOR THE NEW AFMS. THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE AFMS WIRING TO THE RB26 INSTRUCTIONS WAS IN JAPANESE AND THEREFORE I TRIED WIRING THEM WITHOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS. AS A RESULT, I GUESS I DID THE WIRING WRONG, AND SOMETHING HAPPENED TO MY POWER FC, A SERIOUS CLICKING SOUND IS COMING FORM THE RELAYS BOXES NEXT TO THE ENGINE AND THE ONE IN THE TRUNK AND THE POWER FC JUST GETS STUCK ON THE START UP SCREEN ON THE COMMANDER.

WHEN I PUT THE ORIGINAL ECU BACK THE CAR RUNS FINE (WITH THE ORIGINAL AFMS OF COURSE).

BEFORE TRYING TO WIRE THE Z32 AFMS I HAD THE POWER FC INSTALLED AND WAS RUNNING EXCELLENT FOR A FEW DAYS.

ANYWAY, I SENT THE THING BACK TO APEXI AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THE POWER FC WAS FINE AND NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH IT.

BEFORE I SENT IT I EVEN TRIED RUNNING IT WITH THE OEM AFMS AFTER THE Z32 AFMS INCIDENT AND IT STILL WOULDN'T WORK, SO I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE PROBLEM WAS FROM THE POWER FC.

IF ANYONE COULD HELP I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE IT PLEASE!!!!!!!!

they probably only did a software level diagnosis, and didnt do a physical level hardware input check. i think you may have damaged an data input, causing a lockup in the pfc.... send it back and tell them EXACTLY what you did.... it may void the warranty, but its cheaper than buying a new unit.....cheers

they probably only did a software level diagnosis, and didnt do a physical level hardware input check. i think you may have damaged an data input, causing a lockup in the pfc.... send it back and tell them EXACTLY what you did.... it may void the warranty, but its cheaper than buying a new unit.....cheers

danielson,

thanks for the reply, I actually did tell them in details everything that I did, much more than what i posted and I still didn't get it from them, and actually I'm contacting them through a third person, who is the dealer I got the Power fc from? you think I will actually end up buying another one! I just used it for 1 week :rofl:

hmm very interesting... do you know for sure the middle man passed on this info to apexi? because if he didnt, i think you could need a replacment unit...... start a thread for locals with a pdc, ask if you can borrow one for an hour or 2, and check your system against it...?? no other ideas mate, sorry... but its definately your pfc, couldnt be anything else

Yep, sounds like a fruited unit.

Some electical fault somewhere.

Try grab someone else's PFC.

If that works then yours is broken, then you can get it repaired by someone if they know electronics well, or just buy a new one

im an electronics engineer, in picton nsw, if no luck with apexi, you could send it to me, and i could do i diag for you, and possible repair

Another Picton boy eh? Hopefully see you around.

Sorry, back on topic. :P

powerfc is damaged, open it up and see what is damaged. it will be a burnt track on the board somewhere or possibly a burnt component. if its a burnt track try just resoldering the track or adding some copper wire to it

i blew up my ECR33 powerfc and simply attached some copper wire to the burnt track and its works fine (and has for 1 year now)

the proof is that it works with the stock ecu, so its on the money :cheers:

does the hand controller come up with garbabled characters on the apexi logo?

Ive seen them do this in cars with engine swaps aswell.

Typically not enough power to the unit. I doubt this is your problem though but it wouldn't hurt to make sure you are getting power to all the right pins, and that the relays in the kick panel are working properly.

The factory ecu will work on the back up constant 12V, the power fc wont.

not all faults are visible to the naked eye paulr33, In MOST cases, its an ic or optocoupler that has an internal short. sometimes this is visibale by a burnt area. but not allways the case.

BHDave, lack of power wont nescisarly damage a unit. if it is running only 11.9v etc, it will draw more current to compensate for the power consumption, as these are internally regulated, and the regulator supplies a consistant voltage within say an input voltage of 10 to 30 volts.

cheers

Edited by danielson

Check all the fuses in your fuse box under the driverside dash...im assuming they are in the same spot as a gtst.

I had a simliar problem in the race car...wired up the z32 afm wrong and it fried a fuse, car wouldnt start and but solenoids were clicking and pump was priming....changed fuse and rewired it correctly and it was good as gold.

Edited by r33_racer

The ECCS relay output from the PFC (PIN 16 i think) should go to earth on powerup. This pin ALSO provides the save data signal. If this pin doesn't goto earth you SIP is blown(chip in the PFC). If this is the case get it to me with a std RB25 ecu and I'll repair it for you for a small cash injection. I have fixed 5 PFC's to date, its a common problem. Usually the indication is flashing/pulsing handset and fuel pump, but that can be sort of fixed by rewiring the ECCS relay...however save data function on the PFC goes Tits up.

Check all the fuses in your fuse box under the driverside dash...im assuming they are in the same spot as a gtst.

I had a simliar problem in the race car...wired up the z32 afm wrong and it fried a fuse, car wouldnt start and but solenoids were clicking and pump was priming....changed fuse and rewired it correctly and it was good as gold.

Hi Everyone.

I have done the EXACT same thing. The relays click like hell and scare the shit out of you into thinking that the powerfc is blown. The whole dash goes dim and flickers.

There is a fuse that will be blown. Change it, rewire the AFM's, and you'll be running fine. That what I did.

• 1 year later...

Diggin up an oldie please help.

have the same probem with the relays clicking like hell and the apexi logo blinking in time with the clicks :S.

checked all fuses, they are good. afm was wired in by dr drift and tuned to 214rwkw so im not sure it would be wired in wrong?

everything is sweet on the stock ecu.

any ideas except fuses and afm???

thanks fellas

• 8 years later...