SAU Community

Full Turbo Kit Rb25

Before you ask - Yes, I have done a bit of research. Didn't really find the answers I was after.

Now, to the trouble.. I was looking at getting the HKS 2835 Pro S off Nengun ~ $3200 shipped.

I do like the sound of the HKS turbo, and have read a fair few opinions on here - It seems to be what I am looking for. However, I was looking on horsepowerinabox jsut today, and saw they have full Gt30 kits, with high mount manifold, external gate etc for about $3500. Which I kinda like the sound of.

Now, as the topic says this for an Rb25 - on a series 1 4 door R33. I'm looking for it to be a decent dtreet car, but - without sounding silly wouldn't mind in a year or so to be making 300+ rwkw, and do some decent 1/4 times. I have supporting mods like an FMIC, PFC and 700 CC (Yes, overkill) Injectors and a fulle xhaust. As well as an 040 fuel pump.

Now for the questions. The 2835 would obviously be a better street setup, from waht I have read, anyhow. However, for the extra 300 bucks + labour extra labour costs over the fitting for the manifold etc would the Gt30 kit be a better deal, and how much power roughly would I be looking at in each case - dyno sheets would be nice.

I know I'm obviously talking about two different things, and two different price ranges here - but consider it as if money wasn't an issue, would the full GT30 kit be way too overkill for street use with the manifold and ext. gate? And would the 2835 come anywhere near the GT30 kit in top end power?

Any other comments, or opinions on turbo choice would be good.

Can't answer your questions on the 2835. I have an RB25 with a HKS 3037S and 0.74 rear housing. I chose the rear housing for repsonse on the track. Reaches full boost(21psi) by 3700RPM and holds it to 8000.

Very happy with the response and pwer. Torqe curve is flat from 3700-7300 and trails off ever so slightly to 8000. So from that I am guessing its matched pretty well spot-on. That said top end hp is down on what the 0.87 would provide, but I'm not after a dyno queen. Its great for the street and just awesome on the track.

So depends on what you want to achive. I am guessing, but would expect the 2835 to have lower top end, but better response, may make 300 but probalby be pushing 1.5+ bar. For a standard RB25, don't expect it to live for very long with that boost.

You haven't told us what the specs of the GT30 are?

Edited by Simonster

I'm doing a similar setup to this on a car at the moment and I can tell you now that the GT30R will perform every bit as well on the street. If you get the 0.6 rear housing your boost will still come on early and hold nicely to 7500.

I would check with them whether the kit includes intake adaptor piping (turbo has a 4inch mouth). Also check to make sure the dump pipe is included (most likely not).

BTW I can do that same kit they offer for $3000 or $3150 with a Tial 44mm gate.

Then you need $200 for the intake mod (including 4 inch K&N filter). Another roughly $480 for the stainless piping to do the intercooler piping (engine bay) and exhaust from turbo back to cat in 3 inch. Another $215 in silicon hose adaptors and t-bolt clamps. Then labour ro fit it all.

Your standard intake will not work with the GT30R in place on a highmount. Neither will your exhaust.

Your total would look something like $4775 fitted.

Having said this, though, the standard AFM will have trouble handling anything above 210rwkw, I would recommend cams if you want anything over 230rwkw. A set of pon cams go for around $900 delivered from Japan, Z32 AFM will set you back $400 brand new. That 040 should do the trick up to 300rwkw but I would upgrade your whole fuel system if you expect the engine to last. An RB25DET should only be good for about 300rwkw on a stock bottom end.

Yea, I will admit.. sounds like a fair bit of stuff.

So, the 2835 is probably a bang for buck option - and is a fari bit easier - it wouldn't be capable of the top end of the other setup though, or any where near it?

Those kits are $3400 delivered and are a good bolt on. Everything is provided so nothing extra will be needed.

The maximum you should see that turbo to will be 300rwkw....no more

This is good for a low 12/ high 11 anyway. You wold need to be running in the vacinity of 22psi boost to get that but it's still possible. As for response...should be almost better than stock.

Yea, that sounds like exactly what I want - which is what I was always thinking. :P

I spose that's about the limit of what you'd want out a RWD anyway, too much more and I could almost forget about streeting.

Cheers for the help - I'll probably save myself all the screwing around go for that kit.

Unless anyone else has an other suggestions to confuse me even more. :D

The advise people are giving you is all good, the smaller turbos you are looking at will give you a good increase in mid range and top end without sacrificing throttle responce to much. I think the 30/37 is your best option, although this setup will require manifold & external gate. If you want to see 300kw at the tyres you will need to be running a GT30/40 with at least ar.82 exhaust housing and at 20psi. you will find that without cams and springs you will suffer from valve float and compressor surge at this boost. but car will be good for a high to mid 11 if you can drive.

Yea, that sounds like exactly what I want - which is what I was always thinking. :laugh:

I spose that's about the limit of what you'd want out a RWD anyway, too much more and I could almost forget about streeting.

Cheers for the help - I'll probably save myself all the screwing around go for that kit.

Unless anyone else has an other suggestions to confuse me even more. :ermm:

go the 2835 kit from nengun, I have been eying it off for a while now, can't beat the new gen HKS turbos for response... a 30/37 with small rear housing will come on like a light switch, not the thing for the street IMHO

go the 2835 kit from nengun, I have been eying it off for a while now, can't beat the new gen HKS turbos for response... a 30/37 with small rear housing will come on like a light switch, not the thing for the street IMHO

I disagree. I am running a HKS 3037S with a 0.74 housing on an RB25. Its producing boost in the mid 2XXX rpm band and achives 21 at 3700rpm. Light swicth no, but it does pull like a demon and as always, it's also controlled by your right foot :D

I disagree. I am running a HKS 3037S with a 0.74 housing on an RB25. Its producing boost in the mid 2XXX rpm band and achives 21 at 3700rpm. Light swicth no, but it does pull like a demon and as always, it's also controlled by your right foot :ermm:

That is impressive do you have cams?

I noticed that you are from Launceston and was wondering if you can get your hands on 98 ron fuel because i have read that in some places guys in tassie could not get it and it really limited there power, just some food for thought

I noticed that you are from Launceston and was wondering if you can get your hands on 98 ron fuel because i have read that in some places guys in tassie could not get it and it really limited there power, just some food for thought

Well now that you mention it.. yea I can. Apparently the Servo at my mechanics place is getting 100 octane. He says it'll be cheaper then premium too, which would be nice. :P

R334DR if that link to HPIB was correct that turbo IS NOT a propper GT30R . It is a Garrett hybrid GT30/TO4S meaning it has the dinosaur 7/14 blade TO4S compressor instead of the 76mm GT 6/12 blade compressor . If you want the propper GT30R its part no is 700382-12 , cartridge no 700177-0007 or -5007 . Most HKS GT3037's use this same cartridge but it is available from them in 52 and 48 compressor trim .

Most who have them like the HKS GT2835 Pro S but you can also get a HKS GT3037 Pro S integrally gated turbo . HKS don't sell the dodgy GT30/TO4S option because they know its a laggy dog . HKS also go to a lot of trouble to supply ALL the bits to make their turbo kits bolt on . The Pro S exhaust housings are amongst the best high performance integral wastegate types available . If it were up to me I'd say 2835 pro or 3037 pro depending on how much lag your prepared to live with . At that power level a very obviously non standard engine bay and external gate are hard to justify . Very expensive setback if defected and no cops gonna miss it .

Your call .

I'd say HKS because its low mount and therefore you can hide it better incase you get trouble with the cops and everythings included so you dont have to go running around for parts. Also the 2835 would have a nice midrange torque. I'd rather have 20rwkw in the midrange than 20rwkw at the top end if I had to choose between 2 different sized turbos.

I'd say HKS because its low mount and therefore you can hide it better incase you get trouble with the cops and everythings included so you dont have to go running around for parts. Also the 2835 would have a nice midrange torque. I'd rather have 20rwkw in the midrange than 20rwkw at the top end if I had to choose between 2 different sized turbos.

Yea, I do see what you're saying - but the pure wank factor of the high mount would be good.

I've been looking around for a 3037 internal wastegate kit, but haven't found on as yet - can someone link me.

Also, the 3037R from Garret isn't the same a 3037 from HKS, is it?

Cheers