SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Bonnet Issues

Punisher

I've been in Qld for only a few weeks & on Saturday night my car was issued with a defect notice due to having a Carbon Fibre bonnet.

In NSW this has never been an issue, and I was wondering if anyone on here might know whether it is possible to get an Engineers Certificate for these bonnets?

Also if it is possible, who might be able to do it for me?

Seeing as there are so many cars around with Carbon Fibre parts I figured there must be a way around this defect situation.

Can anyone help?

Paint it.

They are illegal, they shatter in an impact. Or are prone to at least. So unless you get it crash tested, and it passes that test. Its illegal. By painting it the cops wont know. However you crash I doubt insurance would be willing to cover you.

I know Custom Carbon and DMD supply carbon bonnets whice are ADR approved and come with the relevant paperwork. Maybe get into contact with them to see how yours can be made compliant if it is at all possible..

I think from memory somehow R32's are legal with a CF bonnet, something to do with ADR's & crash-testing etc not being relevant at time of orig compliance & so on.

Shoot MrVspec a PM, he works for CustomCarbon in Bris & as n15m0 said they might be able to give you some more specific info

Good Luck

Carbon fibre bonnets are illegal unless fitted to a vehicle prior to (I think) 1992 when ADR 69 came out (Full frontal impact occupancy protection). Any vehicle after that date fitted with a CF bonnet must be engineered. The engineered bonnet must have passed front and side collision test on the exact model of vehicle it is fitted to. Like n15mo said....Custom Carbon and DMD do make legal engineered ones for 32 and 33. They cost around $2000 from memory but you cannot be touched when you own one of these.

Terry..I didn't think you could get defected for having a CF bonnet...isn't yours fibreglass?..lol.

Carbon fibre bonnets are illegal unless fitted to a vehicle prior to (I think) 1992 when ADR 69 came out (Full frontal impact occupancy protection). Any vehicle after that date fitted with a CF bonnet must be engineered. The engineered bonnet must have passed front and side collision test on the exact model of vehicle it is fitted to. Like n15mo said....Custom Carbon and DMD do make legal engineered ones for 32 and 33. They cost around $2000 from memory but you cannot be touched when you own one of these.

Terry..I didn't think you could get defected for having a CF bonnet...isn't yours fibreglass?..lol.

Awesome! Thanks for that dan, now i can go and get one and not be worried!!! :D

Yeah, I had someone else tell me something about that too. Might have to check it out, mine's an '89 GTR.

Terry, I got done on Milton Rd outbound at an RBT check point, they had a few Qld transport guys there checking out all the Jap cars

ive got a series 2 r33 and by wat u guys r saying if its pre 92 model there legal. sort of ruins my plans a litttle bit lol i dont realli wana pay 2 grand for a approved bonnet. so within saying that does anyone kno any good places that sell fibreglass bonnets with venty doo daa thingy ma bobs n stuf so it looks all good n trik for 33's???? my car is basically stock and im just about to start spending on it and dealing with the visual side of things first .. any info comments apreciated

In 1989, the Australian Federal Office of Road Safety (FORS) embarked upon a comprehensive 3-year crash investigation, testing and standards development programme. The aim of this programme was to examine passenger car occupant injuries in frontal crashes and to develop appropriate countermeasures to minimise the level and type of injuries occurring.

The end result of the programme was the introduction of a dynamic full frontal crash protection requirement on passenger cars sold in Australia: Australian Design Rule (ADR) 69. This performance-based standard requires vehicle manufacturers to design their Australian passenger models to meet specific injury level criteria for a particular crash configuration. The type of vehicle design changes incorporated to meet the new ADR requirements were left to individual manufacturers.

The regulation was based on the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard FMVSS208 but importantly specified that the Hybrid III test dummies be restrained with a seat belt. This led to the adoption of Supplementary Restraint Systems in Australian vehicles, which are less aggressive and fire at higher thresholds than their American counterparts.

The ADR 69 took effect on 1 July 1995 with design changes in response to the ADR being quickly implemented in the Australian market place. This was clearly demonstrated by the increased availability of airbags across new model ranges. Although airbags were not the only option open to vehicle manufacturers to meet ADR 69 requirements, the majority of vehicle manufacturers demonstrated a strong preference for them.

keep in mind that these laws were brought in to save lives, a cf bonnet does make your car more dangerous to pedestrians and you and your passengers. and really, its not that much lighter.

keep in mind that these laws were brought in to save lives, a cf bonnet does make your car more dangerous to pedestrians and you and your passengers. and really, its not that much lighter.

Do you have a link to where you got that info? Wouldn't mind having a read

ok the reason 3lit3 32 gave was correct (frontal impact test) However the date is wrong....the law was passed in 95 so pre 1994 cars are legal with a cf bonnet but post 95 cars are not.

ok the reason 3lit3 32 gave was correct (frontal impact test) However the date is wrong....the law was passed in 95 so pre 1994 cars are legal with a cf bonnet but post 95 cars are not.

If that is the case, then they had no right to defect my car :kiss:

If a cop sais its illigal...it is.

no matter what the law suggests.

If they want to be an ass and defect you, they will.

and its people with no clue as to their rights and the law (like you) who keep supplying the gumbyment with money by paying these bullshit defects