SAU Community

Onboard Cameras

Where and how is the best place to mount a video camera in a gtr? I have no roll cage to strap it to....the car is just standard on the inside. While we're on the topic, has anyone used one of the mini dvd video cameras for onboard video? does the recording stuff up when you're flying around the track and hitting bumps?

Ok. time to show some ignorance of what the inside if a GTR looks like, but does it have grab handles in the rear (the ones just above the window)?

I have seen other cars with a mount made that bolts to the handle mount points and runs across behind the front seats, so the camera sits at shoulder height just between the seats. Easy enough to put in and remove.

I have also seen some one with a fairly new hard disk camcorder that was small and light, he had sticky backed velcro on the bottom of the camera and on the dash, which held well enough for spirited drives down the GOR (not much use for track work though, the scrutineers wouldn't be too happy with it).

Get a Manfrodo suction mount.

Stick suction cap to back window.

Perfect

If he's using it on the track, would a suction mount make it past the scrutineers?

Google comes up with a few ideas...

http://www.camerahacker.com/Car_Camera_Mount/index.shtml

http://www.stickypod.com/ (scrutineers would love this one as well!)

This might be OK, but only if you have adjustable head restraints. http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_video_mount.html

I have seen the mounts which the WRX guys use.

It goes between the Jesus handles in the back of the car and suspends the camera above the centre seat in the rear.

I might make some....

But I know that in Targa you can run suction pods inside the car and it's no problem.

I have seen the mounts which the WRX guys use.

It goes between the Jesus handles in the back of the car and suspends the camera above the centre seat in the rear.

Thats what I was trying to describe, I'll stick a post up on Rex site seeing if anyone has any pictures of the mount.

Fastening a mount to the baby seat fixing points also has merit I reckon.

would love to hear more about the suspended one between the seats cause i'd love the camera to sit as close to my left shoulder as possible.....to get a view of the gauges as well as out the front windscreen.

would love to hear more about the suspended one between the seats cause i'd love the camera to sit as close to my left shoulder as possible.....to get a view of the gauges as well as out the front windscreen.

Your wish is my command :D

A few pics taken by someone in the Rex club for me......

Camera mount 1

Camera mount 2

Camera mount 3

Camera mount 4

Camera mount 5

Also some in car footage taken from one (Stolen from Highlife on the WRX.com.au forums)......

Right click and save (Warning broadband only ~30MB)

Edited by wokka wokka

There's probably a good market for these mounts if someone could develop a professional mount like these for the skylines too. You would only have to make 3 different variants for each model (32,33,34) as GTS-T and GTR mount spots would be identical. I might look into this!

ok, probably a bit off topic,, but may help someone in some way

I have a double din head unit in my car,

it has reversing camera input,, and also AUX input (yellow,red,white rca's)

So,, what I did was hook up a reversing camera (with night vision)

and hooked up a front camera (front bumper cam), and hooked it up through the AUX input,,

now these camera's don't have sound,, but u can get ones with sound but I was on a budget,,,

with my head unit, I can go into aux mode, and watch "front bumper cam",, and by pressing a button on the remote, I can switch to rear bumper cam,, and back and forth (its more of a novelty for the passengers but you get the idea,, also rear camera helps with reversing at night time),,, also the head unit has Video output,, so I'm thinking I'll hook it up to a laptop and record the video footage (that's if its actually that simple,, haven't tried yet),,, so yeah,, that's how I did my in-car camera setup,,

front and rear are both colour camera's with night vision in black and white.. head unit is out at the moment,, otherwise I would have taken pics of the setup and shown what the footage looks like on the screen..

both cameras are ccd,, would have used cmos (quality of colour footage is much better with cmos) but they were more expensive back then,,,

grey (mine is a bronze colour) camera is what i used as front bumper cam (did not buy wireless receiver)

and black one is what i used as rear bumper cam

post-3252-1151980481.jpg

post-3252-1151980505.jpg

OK...just had someone check my car and is has the jesus bars in the rear. So my question is who wants to make these mounts for a gtr? i'm sure i'm not the only person that would buy one so i'm sure you could make a decent amount of money from it.

Edited by tk80

I use a little digital camera i bought from wow sight and sound for $200, jammed up between the dash and the windscreen with the little view screen out. Once its in place it dont move.

been looking at ways to do this

might weld up my own and have a go..

just have to figure out how to weld up the first ones in the car, without burning everything :