SAU Community

Roof Rack

66yostagea

Needed a roof rack in a hurry.

Used some 25mm OD pipe, Cyclone scaffold tees, 25mm ID clear plastic tube, black paint and duct tape.

The horizontal section of the tees needed flattening a bit to more nearly be the shape of the rails.Pipe was cut 920 for back, and 945 front. They are different, and the front was cut a bit short so it can be moved back to the centre of the rails. Metal parts were sprayed matt black and the tube was slit along its length to make it easier. Duct tape was wrapped around the hose, and also around rails where tees were clamped.

After using I had to move the front cross piece back to the centre because of wind noise.

Total cost if buying all the bits, about $20.

0000023gj9.jpg

0000024lt7.jpg

Edited by 66yostagea

just for interest's sake,toyota rav 4 roof racks are a straight bolt on for stageas. I run a pair of ex-warranty rav racks on my S2.

new from toyota they're about $280 a pair.

Justin...

I used my Subaru Racks, $350. Big difference $20. They do the same thing. lol

I used my Subaru Racks, $350. Big difference $20. They do the same thing. lol

it IS a big difference,providing you actually pay it. I got my rav racks for free,out of the warranty bin at clean up time. I have a heap of roof rack parts at home,including some rx330 aero racks. will try those on at some point as well. if they work,someone can have my rav racks if they need a set.

Justin...

Edited by fergo308

Nice work there Hugh! So when are you going to start making them enmasse and sell them on SAu in a group buy for $50? ;)

That is what is the rage lately, I am still trying to find out what I can setup a Group Buy for :cheers:

And damn, you really dont have any sunroofs, bummer :ban:

i can imagine what that will do for your highway fuel consumption. i think i'll be going for a more aerodynamically designed one.

Even with my ex Subaru and Skyline racks I always had to move them back a bit from the front.

As I've said elsewhere, " if you can't afford the petrol,you can't afford a Stagea".

Anyway, racks are not usually an everyday use. The bars take 5 mins to remove. The whole idea was to make something pronto.

As far as agroup buy, The only tools needed are a hacksaw (or angle grinder) to cut the pipe, a 10mm open ender and a Stanley knife, so it is very easy to make. Not really worth the postage.

• 4 years later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Yeah that sounds like a way to isolate the issue, but I am not sure how easy it is to get a gauge on it; as Greg said it is subframe out to do anything anyway. As it happens FPG also have a attesa pressure sender which goes in the rear of the xfer case. I have a kit but have not installed in the race car yet (because, race car) https://frenchysperformancegarage.com/collections/nissan-skyline-r32gt-r/products/fpg-bnr32-attesa-high-pressure-hose-replacement-with-optional-pressure-sensor-adapter-fpg-116
    • My BC's are great! I wasn't going to spend big money, its a long way from a "well-funded" car. They are really comfy on the street and they feel good enough for me on the track. I think they were about $1400 AUD delivered with front camber tops. Hard to go wrong with that. They replaced my Bilstein B8's with Eibach springs which were good also but just a touch soft and I wanted the height adjustment. It didn't help that a Sydney mega pothole bent one of the front strut tubes just enough to make lowering with the jack tricky as it didn't compress unless you drove back and forth a bit.  I'm also a little less willing to go hard into fast corners. Maybe I'll get better over time, but for now I'm happy to lose a few seconds and not keep feeling like I'm about to die. Nice point on the left foot braking. This is definitely an area I want to get better at. Like you I should be doing it when pottering around town just to get more used to it and stop it feeling odd.
    • This must be my problem, I can smell fuel in the driver rear wheel well sometimes.
    • I mean down here I get absolutely nothing, and I'm driving around with a V8 version. I say "absolutely nothing" but the actual instances I can remember on one hand, and funnily enough were all in Sydney, not Melbourne. Specifically one very insistent guy hanging out of his window, pointing to the engine bay, then giving me an exaggerated thumbs up. That and one guy a decade ago who was an American who had clearly just seen his first R34 ever in person, and seemed surprised when I was like "Oh dude you'll see them everywhere" but this was 2010. But 99.99% of the time it gets no looks from absolutely anyone, ever.  BIG CAVEAT: SEDAN
    • It never really happened in Australia until more recently. They first started coming in in the 90s and most people wondered what these weird looking cars were, and that's about it. There was a little bit of fanboi stupidity after F&F. But more recently, now that you seldom see a Skyline on the road (because they have either all been drifted into trees or stashed in sheds and never driven), I'm getting regular instances of massive thumbs up and smiles, a few guys wanting to take photos (and asking politely!). It's kind of good. Makes me think I've done the right thing by keeping the car as my daily across the 25 years I've had it. You still get dropkicks gesturing for you to do a burnout. Idiots.