SAU Community

No Wonder It Snaps Axles......

2rismo

If its a street car it should run street tyres ie radials all the way

Super Street class use slicks currently, do you think they should be required to run drag radials only too? What about pump gas versus C16 and the like?

No 90/10 shocks?

No rollcages?

No harnesses?

No nitrous?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my limited experience of donkey racing I've found there is a HUGE difference between fully LEGAL including emmisions 6 point cage etc and having an engineer's certificate that states your street legal

I agree totally, I've seen RTA papers for cars that could never be driven on the street.

The process is that you get an engineer's certificate. You take that to a blue slip station and the RTA approved blueslip dudes go over your car with the engineer's certificate and evaluate if it is roadworthy. You get the blueslip and take it to the RTA where your registration is updated.

Just getting an engineer's certificate means nothing to the RTA until you do the blueslip and RTA rego update.

Mine is RTA approved with a welded in six point rollcage, but I can't have the removable side intrusion bar in when it's driven on the street.

Mine is RTA approved with a welded in six point rollcage, but I can't have the removable side intrusion bar in when it's driven on the street.

Is ANDRA happy with bolt-in side bars? I know what the rules say but I also know their attitudes to drag racing BMW's.

Adrian

Is ANDRA happy with bolt-in side bars? I know what the rules say but I also know their attitudes to drag racing BMW's.

Adrian

Adrian, well they gave me a tech sticker and they never complain so I guess they are happy!

If its a street car it should run street tyres ie radials all the way

Hmmm....

It's a drag strip not the street isn't it?

So a street car when driven on the drag strip is then treated as a race car for that purpose. The governing bodies change with the environment change from road to track. RTA to ANDRA.

Last I checked all street tyres bar purpose made drag radials (that aren't very safe in normal wet weather road conditions) are not designed for drag strip use. The manufaturers might even go as far as to say they are not the 'safe' choice.

It starts to become a silly argument.

Why not add... "It's not a true street 1/4 mile because there aren't green bins on the side of the road and it doens't have pot holes".

care factor = 0

MrBlonde doesn't have to go anywhere for emmissions testing to be classified 'street legal'. And because the government isn't interested in finding his car to be illegal, it's present state of registration is one of validation.

I don't see any proof that it doesn't comply with emmissions, so I guess it's legally emiting copious amounts of noxious fumes.

Shame on the goverment for not testing his car and putting right the injustice!

Mind you this is Australia and we did tell the kyoto agreement to stick it.

What a country!

how about those tyre wrinkles! :mellow:

Hmmm....

It's a drag strip not the street isn't it?

So a street car when driven on the drag strip is then treated as a race car for that purpose. The governing bodies change with the environment change from road to track. RTA to ANDRA.

Last I checked all street tyres bar purpose made drag radials (that aren't very safe in normal wet weather road conditions) are not designed for drag strip use. The manufaturers might even go as far as to say they are not the 'safe' choice.

It starts to become a silly argument.

Why not add... "It's not a true street 1/4 mile because there aren't green bins on the side of the road and it doens't have pot holes".

care factor = 0

werd

Adrian, well they gave me a tech sticker and they never complain so I guess they are happy!

You know what I mean, mate. I've known people to cop shit from less informed ANDRA officials for bolt-ins - just wondered if you'd copped any shit and had to set them straight.

They never complain? I distinctly remember them giving you heaps one night! :mellow:

You know what I mean, mate. I've known people to cop shit from less informed ANDRA officials for bolt-ins - just wondered if you'd copped any shit and had to set them straight.

They never complain? I distinctly remember them giving you heaps one night! :starwars:

The side intrusion bar has never been mentioned. I know what you mean about smarty pants comments from some ANDRA officials! I just treat that as an attempt at humor, but I do notice that V8 Torana drivers seem to get a smoother ride at street meets!

Shame on the goverment for not testing his car and putting right the injustice!

Good points. I know emmissions is the top thing on my mind and of all the off street racers that I know.

The side intrusion bar has never been mentioned. I know what you mean about smarty pants comments from some ANDRA officials! I just treat that as an attempt at humor, but I do notice that V8 Torana drivers seem to get a smoother ride at street meets!

You think? lol :starwars: That's called power in numbers. We have an acronym for them:

J.A.F.T.

Adrian

my version of a street car is if it retians the same motor and the same gearbox then its a street car...

No disrespect to you Shane either, i feel that your car doesnt fall into this category however as the same kind of kerb weight is there...

Im not a fan of RBs into S13s or 13B turbos into old RX series mazdas and people calling them a street car...Not a fan of gas either, but thats a whole other bitch there...

Thanks 2rismo for the info on the tyre pressures and burnouts on the M/T ET streets.

Would you guys know how much tyre pressure Nitto extreme 555s should have? I just bought a set of these for my street rims...

I was just reading a Martin Donnen article in Zoom about drag radials. He was saying that you should start at about 18-19psi then go from there. He had a turbo LS1 example.

I was getting the same 60 footers at 28psi as I was at 18psi in my very 2nd hand Nitto555's. Maybe I need more power to make it relevant.

I know one thing and that is that they needed biggish burnouts every time or wheel spin hit me at the top of 1st gear (auto).

Also you guys doing 2nd gear burnouts are pussies. hehe just kidding. I love watching the speedo go off the scale while doing a burnout - now that Adrian has showed me the way - but I'm not as big a man as Shane - I need that water.

I hope that added to the discussion despite me not knowing much in this forum.

ps Kenny - you're famous. My mate Rob knows you. haha Is that bimmer racing yet? (pls forgive if it is and I missed it, been out of cars a bit for a few months)

ps Kenny - you're famous. My mate Rob knows you. haha Is that bimmer racing yet? (pls forgive if it is and I missed it, been out of cars a bit for a few months)

Hehe, which Rob is that? I took the BMW out on 14th June but we popped the IRS. The repalcement parts are being made in Germany and we will be back out soon.

my version of a street car is if it retians the same motor and the same gearbox then its a street car...

No disrespect to you Shane either, i feel that your car doesnt fall into this category however as the same kind of kerb weight is there...

Im not a fan of RBs into S13s or 13B turbos into old RX series mazdas and people calling them a street car...Not a fan of gas either, but thats a whole other bitch there...

Thanks 2rismo for the info on the tyre pressures and burnouts on the M/T ET streets.

Would you guys know how much tyre pressure Nitto extreme 555s should have? I just bought a set of these for my street rims...

jzx81 chaser = mx83 cressida.

same chasis just different engine option was sent to australia. it utilises factory engine mounts factory gearbox mounts every thing is same except we got the shitty 7m version, it only takes 1 day and i bit of knowledge to turn a mx83 cressida to a jzx81 chaser if you use the jzx81 halfcut, all the electical plugs plug into each others loom, its a peace of piss change as its the same car.

the debate on whats a street car will always go on.

bottom line, if its street registered and driven on the street in my opinion its a street car. whether you go to the track and run slicks N20 race fuel, it doesnt matter, that stuff is legal for your class thats fine, the fact you choose to have both a street car and a race car in one is not a problem.

the day i can no longer register my car in the lovely state of NSW, that is the day i will no longer consider it a "street" car.

Edited by 1JZ.747

the debate on whats a street car will always go on.

Mark Hayes - 7.99 and 177mph - drives on the street monthly and is a pussycat. The Pioneer stereo pumps the whole way too!

That gets my vote and has for a very long time!