SAU Community

Qld Challenge Touring Road Event

hrd-hr30

Supp Regs

Entry Form

you'll need a CAMS L2S licence, and a navigator with a CAMS L2S also. Usual safety and clothing requirements, except that rally regs require a 2kg fire extinguisher. I think they accept 2*1kg units also.

An information night will be held in the BSCC club rooms at 8:00pm on Thursday 17th

August. For those crews “not sure”, this evening will provide more details on the event and

also explain the type of navigation to be used, together with crew and car requirements.

There will be 8 special tests which range from a sprint on QR, motokhana test, closed road sections at Toowoomba, Wivenhoe and Gatton, a test at Willowbank drag strip and the Ipswich autocross track - your car will get dirty! it is a rally after all! There are navigation sections between the special tests. The BSCC info night is a must for people who haven't done this kind of thing before! They will explain how to read a map and the types of navigation used.

Its basically a little taste of tarmac rallying (along the lines of a Dutton Rally) at an affordable price. I enter for the special tests and couldn't care less how much we stuff up the navigation!

No speeding or stupid behaviour on public roads will be condoned. Your car will have door cards identifing you as a BSCC and CAMS competitor, and you are representing these bodies and the sport whilst on public roads. Police are notified of the route, and the organisers have radar equipment and do conduct speed chacks at various places on the route. People have been excluded from events in the past, and there is one person who is currently banned from all competitions for a year for repeat speeding offences on previous events. NCR's also have provisions for competitors who do not abide by this rule to be charged, and may face loss of CAMS licence and fines. So if you cannot abide by this simple rule, don't bother entering.

Hoe does one go about getting a CAMS L2S licence?? I race at QR and have done a few events at Mt Cotton, but no idea on a CAMS Licence.

Also, cost involved??

You need to be a member of a cams affiliated club to aquire a cams licience...

I was a members of the hold drivers club of australia for 3 years when i was doing targa events in the BMW. I never had a holden but i was a member just for the ability to get a cams licience. My membership and licience expired early this year to be honest.

I only ever used the licience at Noosa Hill climbs and at Targa Tasmania (3 years entered).

Cost was if i remember correctlly about $320 for the actuall licience training and testing. You must be a member for an affliated club tho to maintain the licience. I let mine expire cause i never really used it. Plus this year was my last targa tasmania due to costs. This year cost us just over 11 grand to get there and back and compete.

If you interested Dave you may want to join SAU VIC club as they are cams affiliated... You can maintain you qld membership also, just use VIC to get the licience and maintain it...

To actually get your licicence just contact vic club execs and or cams directlly.

Cheers Col

CAMS affiliated clubs are around here, good to be taking part in events run by your own club.

Try also Northern Districts Sporting Car Club

there's a list of clubs found on the CAMS web page.

Hoe does one go about getting a CAMS L2S licence?? I race at QR and have done a few events at Mt Cotton, but no idea on a CAMS Licence.

Also, cost involved??

CAMS L2S licence costs $88 + membership of a CAMS afilliated car club. The club will have the licence application form for you fill out. The club will issue a temporary licence until the proper one is mailled out to you by CAMS.

Some of the cheaper clubs around are NDSCC - Northern Districts Sporting Car Club, HSCC - Holden Sporting Car Club, MGCCQ - MG Car Club of QLD. list of CAMS Clubs here

need a wingman, harry?

Sorry Jason, I have a regular navigator from the days when I used to do their whole series, and he also joined me in my forest rallying folly...

• 2 weeks later...

more info here http://www.queenslandchallenge.com

is anyone else going to enter? here's a taste of what to expect with some in-car footage of a couple of the closed road stages from the last time I did this event in 2004 in my old Datsun 1200 coupe not the greatest camera angle, but the cage made it hard to mount my rather bulky camera any higher and still see out the front at all. They are both 5.6M, not dial-up friendly!

Prince Henry Drive stage http://bscc.asn.au/gallery/CBQC-2004/HRDphd.mov5.6Mb check out the veiw!

Wivenhoe stage http://bscc.asn.au/gallery/CBQC-2004/HRDwivenhoe.mov 5.6Mb

Harry I know you will see Dave Gaines / Nikki Doyle there (again). I take it you will be in the 32?

Work commitments pulled the rug out from underneath my entry; direct impact of someone else feelin they were too stressed to be there. Not happy, but it did prod me into getting one of Geoff's HICAS lock bars.

All I have is reasonable access to in-car to see what I will miss out on.

Geoff isn't the old "Victoria - the place to be" slogan such a misnomer? I reckon that's why they brought in "on the move" - just missed out on the "to Queensland" ending.

cheers

sorry to hear that Geoff. here's to a speedy recovery!

and Dale, I'm sure the in-car from the fat lady or 4dr Zed or whatever they're calling it after its recent spruce up will really whet your appetite. It certainly looks tuff with those 15*8"s now!

there's always next year anyway. I'll try my best to fly the Skyline flag against all those WRX and STi's in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Nicely done Harry, and thanks for the kind thoughts. Unfortunately having surgery through exactly the same site means longer recovery -> can't sell the house (work to do) -> can't get home to Brisbane.

And Dale.... Victoria - the place to be...defected, well if you own an import. I'm lucky I haven't had to tear a copper apart on a defect yet.

Sorry so long to post. Slow recovery so I'm barely on but the pics give me some enthusiasm.

Nice work Harry. Car looks schmick, nice simple and clean. Do you require a navi for those rally/offorad/tarmac events?

Hope your recovery is relatively pain free and quick mate....and here i was thinking you were actually a mexican! Banana benders FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, you do need a naviator for these events, but they only need to hold a L2S licence. This event is great fun - you get to play Targa Tasmania for a day - well, sort of... the stages are alot shorter and the navigation sections don't exist in Targa, but these are still pretty special events. good atmosphere amongst the competitors too.

and Prince Henry Drive is great fun at full noise!