SAU Community

Another Pfc Working On Auto R33

Just put a PFC on a auto r33, and it just works like the standard ecu. Gear changes and kickdown is just like before. Only thing i have done to the auto is a stage 2 valve body and a bigger trans cooler from MV AUTOS.

Wish i had done this before rather than wasting my money on different piggy back computers.

hi,

my 2 cents follows. the powerfc (like most ecu's) is a manual only ecu. it does not take into account auto gearbox logic control. there is no techincal way possible that the gear shifting is identicial to the stock ecu. it doesnt have the code logic present to make it so. and even if you think and feel its all cool its putting extra stress on the auto box. im happy for you to have a powerfc, but you should be aware it is putting stress on the box. each gearchange is, as the ignition timing isn't cut.

the powerfc (like most ecu's) will certainly work, the car will drive, it will run etc but it wont take into account shift control. the powerfc should work out of the box on the auto skyline. its no different to the manual skyline (aside from the gearbox and logic control)

Lee,

their was nothing to get it working, all i did was plug it in and do the idle learn stuff.

Paul,

The gearbox logic control for the auto is handled by the auto ecu and not the engine ecu. The only thing the engine ecu does is cut back timing before a gearchange. Now cutting back timing might be a problem with the standard valve body where it tends to slip between gearchanges and generate a lot of heat, but with the upgraded valvebody the shifts are so fast, i dont think they will be a need to cut back timing.

As i said before the shifs are just as they where before, and i am happy to take u out for a quick spin to prove it. (i live in South Morang).

I spoke to the guys at "Creatd" and they said its funny how it works on some r33s and not on others.

One thing i could think of is Nissan has had 7 different ecu's for the auto from 93 to 96, and mine being a 96, maybe the newer versions are less dependent on the auto ecu than the earier ones.

Also about 3-4 years ago this dude i knew put a pfc on his car (which was a 93 r33 with just a catback and nothing else), and it felt very different. Gearchanges where very hard, it used to hold on to a gear for a lot longer and also it took ages to kickdown, so again maybe the ecu version and the standard valvebody played a part in it.

the auto gear logic is inside the ecu on nissan cars. for toyota's its in a seperate ecu, this is why there is the auto powerfc's for toyota (see the jzx100 auto chaser powerfc).

nissan

auto logic inside stock ecu

not present on most aftermarket ecu's

toyota

auto logic present inside external auto eco

a lot of ecu's work with toyota auto

Just put a PFC on a auto r33, and it just works like the standard ecu. Gear changes and kickdown is just like before. Only thing i have done to the auto is a stage 2 valve body and a bigger trans cooler from MV AUTOS.

Wish i had done this before rather than wasting my money on different piggy back computers.

Wait for a week or two, then get back to us. The more power you have the quicker you will notice.

Paul,

The gearbox logic control for the auto is handled by the auto ecu and not the engine ecu. The only thing the engine ecu does is cut back timing before a gearchange. Now cutting back timing might be a problem with the standard valve body where it tends to slip between gearchanges and generate a lot of heat, but with the upgraded valvebody the shifts are so fast, i dont think they will be a need to cut back timing.

As i said before the shifs are just as they where before, and i am happy to take u out for a quick spin to prove it. (i live in South Morang).

I spoke to the guys at "Creatd" and they said its funny how it works on some r33s and not on others.

One thing i could think of is Nissan has had 7 different ecu's for the auto from 93 to 96, and mine being a 96, maybe the newer versions are less dependent on the auto ecu than the earier ones.

Also about 3-4 years ago this dude i knew put a pfc on his car (which was a 93 r33 with just a catback and nothing else), and it felt very different. Gearchanges where very hard, it used to hold on to a gear for a lot longer and also it took ages to kickdown, so again maybe the ecu version and the standard valvebody played a part in it.

I have found ZERO difference in shift logic ignition retard and cut between models.

It doesn't "work" on all models. I have driven 10 or so Skyines autos supposedly "working" with aftermarket ECUs'. Not one of them had even remotely close to satisfactory gearchange smoothness or provided any protection for the gearbox at the time of the gearchange.

If you are going to use the Power FC to tune for any decent sort of power increase you will come to quickly realise what that means. As I said above, please keep us in the loop.

:D cheers :P

Paul,

The r33 autos have two ecus, the one on the left is the engine ecu(same place as manual) and than on the right hand kick panel is the auto ecu.

Geoff,

If u are the dude with the purple gtr around the lakes area, we have past each other a few times. Mine is the black s2. I am happy to let u take it out for a spin, car is at "Creatd" now getting a few things done, u are well come to go there and take it out for a spin.

Sydneykid,

Their are at least 2 r33's on this forum that have been using the pfc for well over a year, with the same setup as mine and roughly the same power as mine (>220rwkw)