SAU Community

Engine / Oil Problems .. Please Help

JiMb0

This has been posted on the chaning oil thread but I thought I'd post it on it's own as I need some help ... Don't know what to do.

I had my car recently serviced at 76,735 KM on the odometer. All fluids replaced etc, checked out the level of oil, all seemed well ...

Car is now sitting at 80,540 KM on the odometer (3 weeks after service, racked up a few KM), I checked the oil last night and all I could see was some very grubby oil on the bottom "knob" of the dipstick, eg like 5 mm representing ....

I wouldn't think 3805 km could eat oil like that .. I have no idea where it's gone, I'm not leaving oil when I park etc .....

I kinda shit myself and had 2.5 litres of Shell Helix sitting in the garage which was purchased only 6 weeks ago .... so I stuck it all in and let her run for about 5 mins.

Now usually my oil pressure guage reads at about 1 at idle and has been doing so even with what I assumed was a very low level of oil, however after topping her up I looked at my oil pressure guage which was reading about 4, then settling to 3.5 at idle ....

This seemed a little strange ... After letting her run for 5 mins I started hearing a "ticking" or "tapping" noise, decided immediately to turn her off and check the oil level ....

Checked it out, all of a sudden it's well over the high mark by about 4 mm .... It makes no sense.

Any ideas ?

over filling isnt as bad as under filling unless you go severly overboard.

my oil pressure gauge sits @ 3 or thereabouts at idle and raises with revs as it should.

Check your oil with the motor warm and off. i.e. bring it up to operating temperature then leave it off for 10 mins or so then check it.

always make 100% sure that when u check the oil that the dipstick is firmly pushed in before pulling it out to check the level...... this happened to me when i was younger and same thing happened.... now i check my oil 3 times when i checkit to make 100% sure i know where its at........simple... but it can/has caused probs in the past.....

I can't say the same for the RB series engine. But for the RNN14 SR20 having more oil than the indicated maximum is bad.

The maximum level on the dipstick is quite close to the bottom of the crank weights. What this means is that if you have more oil in your sump which is above the max mark then the crank counter weights could be slapping in the oil when its turning. This is

NOT good for your bearings at all.

But like I said, this is for the SR20 found in the GTi-R. Perhaps someone who's pulled apart an RB2x can fill us in.

mmm if u overfill YES it is bad as the piston slamms into the oil in the sump it can cause major engine problems, ALWAYS< ALWAYS

drain ur oil when its hot and fill up when its cold. when u put oil into car RUN the engine straight after filling it>

Little confused how you can drain a hot engine yet then fill it up again cold wihtout waiting a substancial period of time .... having a car sitting for 15 mins whilst the oil drains isn't significantly going to reduce the temp of the engine.

I've always been a drain her warm, change the filter and fill her back up kinda guy. If you wanna drain her hot, nothing burns like oil right :)

Apart from warming the oil to make it slightly more viscous, what purpose would having the oil hot serve ?

Apart from warming the oil to make it slightly more viscous, what purpose would having the oil hot serve ?

All the sh1t in the motor and the sump doesn't get time to settle and you get more of it out this way. i.e. floating bits of engine and grit etc...

If you're worried about bits of crap left in the motor, get an engine flush done at a shop; i have my car serviced by a mate who is a mech at Honda; at their workshop they ran a engine flush through mine for about 20 mins... works wonders

I've never had a blown head gasket or warped head on any of my cars and I've always drained the oil with the engine warm or hot and filled up with oil straight away.

I'd be more worried about caning the engine while it's cold than putting cold oil into a hot engine.

Engine flush ... heh ... nothing like draining the oil out completely and then starting her up to give her a good rev with the sump plug off to flush out any crap :D

If you try this I hold no responsibility for the longevity of your engine

:(

same issue as me.& many of my friends....R33.....Blow by or turbo leak or both.

Check your intake pipe....it all over the pipes & cooler filled many engine oil...than u hv problem w/ the engine or turbo. Go for a compression test to see if it's blow by. Otherwise, it's turbo leak fo sure!!!! I replaced my engine finally....& my friends too....beware!!!!