SAU Community

Getting A Skyline From The Uk To Australia/nz

hi everyone

I've got interviews this coming week with a couple of games companies - they're quite interested in me. If I were to be accepted for a job in oz/nz and I wanted to take my car over can anyone tell me what would be involved in shipping it over?

i'm gonna get a heap of "sell it and get a gtr" but I like my gtst its fast enough and I can get under the engine to simple things like an oil filter :) What I'd like to know is can anyone tell me how long it would take to get over there, what it would cost, what to look out for - do they allow modified motors (mines at stage1 once pfc goes in at end of this month)

I could sell it but I'd end up out of pocket by about £1000 and I've worked hard to get it tricked up to a good driveable motor.

any info appreciated

heres hoping!

ant

newcastle

uk

If you've owned the car for about 12months overseas then it can be brought over and run through compliancing, being its a skyline it would be fine under a special interest or utility vehicle.

However, being its modified is an area I'm unfamiliar with as its been 6years since I imported one so I think it has too be ripped back too complete stock for its compliancing or being its modified you might only be able too bring it into the country for race/rally use in which case you'd need a Cams licence.

Fuzzy area for me, been years since I waded through the paperwork so its probably out of date, theres a few car importers on the forum though which will have the info.

Shipping will take a fair while, 3-6 weeks I think from UK too Au.

I dunno man, in all honesty its quite easy too get something the equivalent or better over here, I know you dont want too hear it but it would be bullshit too say otherwise.

You'll spend a lot on the compliancing which you'd lose anyway on your local resale and a f**kload on the shipping.

edit- ah you've got an R33GTST, theyre extremely common over here. Everyones owned, owns or knows someone first hand who's got an R33GTST :happy:

Edited by MK2

cheers akeenan & MK2 - yeah I guess it prob would cost the same to import it as what I'd lose but its just a very VERY good condition motor.

Can anyone provide any up to date knowledge on this topic? I could get another motor whilst over there and use it as a runabout so I'd be happy to wait on the shipping time.

getting a new PFC fitted the car soon so it should put it at stage1 and the boost could easily be set to default by saving off the PFC remap and uploading the base map to the car which should reset the boost.

Taking exhaust/induction and decat out wouldn't be a bother either. this is just my understanding of the mods I've done on it but after that it could be shipped over couldn't it?

you prob all think I'm mad but I doubt I'd find one is as good condition and certainly couldn't get the cash back I've put into it as everyone wants a gtr here in the uk now (dunno why with the bloody fuel costs!)

maybe do a skyline swap? lol - i'm planning to to to the uk on a 2 yr working visa (but not till the end of the year at least) and will either have to sell my 33 or put it in storage for 2 years...

Best bet i guess would be to pull off everything of value from your one and sell it stock, bring the parts with you to aus, grab a cheapish stocko 33 (see jspec add on this forums amongst other places) and go from there...

check out the rules for "personal imports" on DOTARS....but the good news is you don't have to meet ADRs for personal imports, ie you don't have to pay for compliance just get a blue slip and in NSW pink slip to prove roadworthiness :happy:

But once you include shipping and import duty (15% and 10% GST) it will be cheaper to buy one here...

A mate I used to work with in Hampshire back in 2001 wanted to bring his new MG convertible back to Oz. I can't remember the exact costs involved but I do recall him saying the freight alone for the car was friggin preposterous.

He changed his mind pronto!

cheers guys - maybe best to just pick up another good gtst out there and strip my own car back to stock like you said. I can always start again I suppose. didn't realise shipping a car is so darn costly!

Where you from in UK anyway mate?

I did this in 2004. I bought my cossie over in a sole use container. Company was called Anglo Pacific who are based in Acton, London. One of their employees is on another forum who looked after me.

1. You need to apply for an import approval from DOTARS first which involves filling out a form from the website and faxing it over along with proof of the age and ownership of the vehicle. I can't remember where my certificate came to, either UK or Oz. The shipping company won't ship it without it as it cannot be allowed in at this end

2. Then organise shipping (I recommend a container as you can put posessions in it with this company, actually in the car)

3. Then send off the "vehicle has been exported" part of your log book. Older style ones have a tear off part which needs to be recorded and sent back. Newer ones with the different colours, it is the purple section and it doesnt come back! My car waited for a month until I chased that up.

4. Shipping takes about 6 weeks

5. I know one of the larger clearance companies at this end through my g/f, they pushed mine through quite quickly. I had them ring 6. me before opening the container so I could inspect the car at quarantine

7. Spent another few days there while they went through all my boxes

8. Collected the car on a flatbed truck and took my stuff to my new house

9. Compliance is a seperate issue and not easy on a modified vehicle

Container was about 1200quid plus 150ish quid insurance

Tax is payable on the declared value

Not sure on clearance costs as I had a different rate

HTH

BTW - Its Geordies ;)

Customs wont mind the Skyline.......

They don't like 'Jordies' However :laugh::P