SAU Community

Q50/Q60 spec available in Australia

Duncan

I'm trying to find out what spec the Q50/Q60 were sold with in Australia compared to Japanese market V37.

In particular, I think the 400hp version (Japanese 400R) was sold here as "Red Sport", is that correct?

Is it also correct that only the hybrid was sold here with 4wd (noting that seems to be the case for Jap V37 as well, although strangely the 300hp VR30 seemed to be available with 4wd in the US, but not the 400hp)

Also, if anyone is aware of mechanical differences between the 300hp and 400hp models that would also help.

Looking at you @sonicii :)

I believe we had much the same mechanical spec as Japan, there is likely some tech/feature differences though.

400R is the same as the Red sport, and if you want the AWD version, then it is Hybrid only.

The US had a bit more variety, they didn't have a diesel option, but they did have the VQ37 powered version and AWD as an option across more engine varieties (VR30, VQ37, Hybrid).  Also fairly certain you can get the Red sport (400hp) in AWD in US.

Not sure on all the mechanical differences with the 2 VR powered options, I believe there are extra sensors on the 400HP VR compared to the 300, not sure how much that matters if you want to tune the lower powered version.  They also had a larger water intercooler on the RS.

• Thanks 1

Thanks mate, thought you might have the information :)

Unconfirmed but the only supposed physical differences are the speed sensor on the turbos and something around a second water pump...no idea what that means yet, maybe the intercoolers each have their own pump on the red sport, I can't see why the engine coolant would need anything unusual as it is a mechanical one

Intercooler coolant uses electric pumps, they might have a 2nd pump on the RS.  I didn't think they had 2 separate systems on the RS, maybe just a higher coolant flow and larger heat exchanger on the front.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Thanks mate, thought you might have the information :)

Unconfirmed but the only supposed physical differences are the speed sensor on the turbos and something around a second water pump...no idea what that means yet, maybe the intercoolers each have their own pump on the red sport, I can't see why the engine coolant would need anything unusual as it is a mechanical one

Looking up the parts catalog in the US it mentions what looks like an electric water pump for the "high output"/400 hp spec: https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts-list/2020-infiniti-q50/radiator-components.html?pnc=26

It's also mentioned here: https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/a-closer-look-at-the-vr30ddtts-turbochargers/

According to AMS it is a second intercooler pump: https://www.amsperformance.com/product/q50-q60-red-alpha-vr30-auxiliary-intercooler-pump-kit/

Also the speed sensor for the high output spec makes sense. They're probably concerned with how small the turbo is that a boost leak or whatever other unexpected issue at 14.5 psi will overspeed those turbos and create a warranty claim. The CHRA disintegrating into the oil/coolant/intake will probably cascade into total engine failure. The VR30DDTT is not a super robust and reliable engine IMO so they're kind of right to be concerned.

• Thanks 1

400R is for the Q50 only and is more of a limited edition but similar spec to Red Sport. 

The main difference between 300hp vs 400hp would be the turbos - the Red Sport have sensors on the turbo on how fast they spin. Other than that you guys have mentioned already regarding the hx and water pumps. 

Hopefully we can import post 2019 ones in the near future. These cars are bang for buck imo.

• Thanks 1

They have had a few unexpected issues with the VR30DDTT in USA, turbo failures, at least on some of the earlier models, with some suggestion they have fixed this with updated turbos fitted to the newer models.  Also reports of porous blocks, which is a bit concerning.

I am not sure if, or how common these issues are on AuDM or JDM examples.

I am kind of happy I picked the Hybrid, performance is only slightly down on the RS and there are no tuning options, but fortunately that works fine for me.  The newer RS models did get some nice suspension options though!  Hybrid was never an option on the Q60 though!

Edited by sonicii
  • Like 1

Haha no worries Duncan, I have the Q60 Red Sport....I was waiting for the 400R to be available for importing here but the Q60 came up for sale at too good of a price so I took it instead.

2019 and after, the turbos were changed a little I think, so 400R should be ok for turbos. As for porous blocks - yea that is my main concern at the moment. Hopefully its just a batch of them from over in US and not JDM/AUDM ones.

I was looking at the hybrids....sadly none 2019 and up.

Any date hybrid will be available for import under the new regs (you can import any approved BEV, PHEV or HEV these days) so the lack of 2019+ would just be what importers have chosen to bring in for resale; if you used a broker to import it you can get any hybrid spec.

Not on topic for this but I have the same hybrid driveline in my highway cruiser Fuga and it has plenty of go.

In this case I am investigating something I'd modify which (practically) rules out the hybrid version. I looked into it but there is no easy path for more power, I've already got uprev to add hybrid ecu support for tuning but not surprisingly it made no useful difference in an NA car.

I have not seen any recorded issues around porous blocks since very early models, my guess is whatever went wrong in the casting has been fixed long ago and I bet the affected cars have new motors by now. Even the turbos seemed to be an issue with the wastegate shaft/bushing wearing not a core turbo issue. 

It looks like the VR30DDTT is happy to make 500hp+ pretty easily (70% more than factory for base model!), the question I can't really get to the bottom of yet is how reliable are they. You always hear about the unhappy (unlucky?) people, but not all the people who just added a tune and are zooming around with no problems. And of course with the Z's arrival there will be a lot more aftermarket support and people pushing the platform.

Yea the Z's arrival is good. More mods and aftermarket support for sure and hopefully lower pricing. There are a few tuners that I have been following for the Q50/60 platform that are now tuning the new Z's and it's amazing how much power they are getting from stock engines. Keen to see how they go. So far the tuned Q50/60 I see have been reliable other than a handful of porous blocks and failed turbos (early ones)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You could do remote tuning on any Q50/60 platform. Dropping up to 305 to 450 kilowatt at the wheels with additional mods added…

Croydon racing, dropping some serious power on the new Z

Good to hear. I also spoke to Tunehouse as they are the local EcuTeck master dealer, they had added a fair bit of whoosh to a few of them too, but interestingly only the high spec engine.....I've pretty much decided I'll go with the low spec engine for the much lower initial price and find out if the differences matter :)

• Like 1