SAU Community

Shell 100 Ocatne

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my current setup if I dont hold it on redline the value doesnt budge. Past redline , and yeah around 40 or so... Ive had it >120 a couple of times so dont do it too much and make sure I change gears and/or control right foot :-)

I guess what I'm suggesting is that hitting the rev limiter is more likely to increase the knock value on the PFC .. might not necessarily be pinging... the knock sensors are essentially just microphones tuned into a certain frequency.

Edited by Color_Of_Green

Nah, ignition is cut, not fuel. That why you see big backfires on skylines sitting on the revlimiter.

I'm curious, please explain when, where, etc, you have seen high knock on a engine reving at the revlimiter?

Thanks

Um...

It is my understanding that Power FC cuts fuel but Power FC Pro cuts ignition.

Where? my car.

Edited by Color_Of_Green

Um...

It is my understanding that Power FC cuts fuel but Power FC Pro cuts ignition.

Where? my car.

Thats correct, we run a pro in the race car and it cuts ignition, part of the launch control, like antilag setup. But yeh, if you brush redline while racing it does tend to spit like a dragon really easy. Thats why i like flat changes, not only does it scare people with massive shotgun noises it looks tough and probably does more damage to everything haha.

just one more question about the knocking guys not that i have understood it but how do u find out if your engine is knocking?

If you have a power fc then you can set the screen on the hc to monitor it with peak hold. You can even graph it as you drive along. Other am ecu's probably have similar features. If you don't have a power fc etc then the only thing you can rely on is an orange flashing light in the top right hand corner of your dash. It will flash on and off when you have a knock of over 60 or there abouts. I was getting knock when in fifth gear and going up a steep hill [retuned now so no longer happens]. The hill was steep enough to make you put the foot down about 3/4 throttle to maintain 100km/h, but no way was the car flat out and no way was it necessary to change gears. I used a trailing throttle to avoid knock on such hills until I got a re-tune.

no it wont do crap, its all wives tales. but yes putting optimax extreme in your stock ecu'd skyline is likely to achieve less detonation, but nothing more. i wouldnt expect much detonation on 98 premium anyway.

Would this alone be a good enough reason to for it? or would the change in knock be so minimal it wouldnt really matter? This is using it over BP 98

As soon as the servo in findon has it I'll be doing a before/after run. Ign/afr (12:1) will be optimized before and after.

I may even fiddle with seeing how it goes leaning it out a touch more. Fingers crossed the egt guage is in by then.