SAU Community

Gtr Or Gts-t?

Hi,

I live in Huntsville, Alabama in the US. I will be importing an R32 soon and want to know which would be a better car. I plan on, if I get the GTS-t, putting in an RB26DETT and eventually getting it up to GTR looks. I will primarily be drifting and heading out to the local drag strip. Which car would be a better buy, an R32 GTR or an R32 GTS-t? The GTR would cost me more at first, but will be AWD. The GTS-t would cost me less at first, and I can upgrade in stages, but will be RWD. I assume that having it RWD would be better for drifting, as AWD is inteneded to reduce traction loss, thus hindering ability to drift. However, I have read that with the GTR's AWD system, it only gives the front wheels power if it detects loss of traction in the rear wheels, and it can be locked in either AWD or RWD modes. Is this true? I would just like some simple advice on the subject.

Thanks

Mazikowski

EDIT: Just on a side note, I am about 6' 2" tall (so around 2m?). How would headroom in the car be for me? Would it be overly tight?

Edited by Mazikowski

Go the GTR! You can easily turn off the AWD by pulling a fuse or putting in a switch to turn it on or off.

It will be more expensive initially but you will spend more to get the GTSt to anywhere near the same dynamics in the long run.

If it does not have a sunroof you should be right height wise or you could fit lower seats if not.

Thought you guy's could not have Skyline GTR's there in the land of the free :P

well, you cant import them really because of laws in states with major ports, but if you import the car w/o engine + engine separate, it can be done, just assemble it in the destination state and off you go... besides, it helps to have some connections :dry:

I should be able to get a GTR for around < USD25k or a GTS-t for < USD15k

plus.. who doesnt want a gtr :O

this is true... OH HOW TRUE THIS IS!!!! lol, sorry, had to get that outta my system

Edited by Mazikowski

If it is SPECIFFICALLY for drift, I'd go GTS-T. Lower purchase price, less weight (AWD hardware is HEAVY!), cheaper to replace parts and body panels (probably).

If it's a powerful multipurpose drag/track street car, I'd go a GTR.

I'm 6ft4 (with a heavy build), and I fit in my R32 GTS-T just fine. But for enthusiastic driving, I'd budget for a new drivers seat and steering wheel - the standard items are under and over sized (respectively) and are pretty much useless for people my size! The R32 GTR seats are apparently much better, but alas I have never driven one and hence cannot comment.

If it is SPECIFFICALLY for drift, I'd go GTS-T. Lower purchase price, less weight (AWD hardware is HEAVY!), cheaper to replace parts and body panels (probably).

If it's a powerful multipurpose drag/track street car, I'd go a GTR.

I'm 6ft4 (with a heavy build), and I fit in my R32 GTS-T just fine. But for enthusiastic driving, I'd budget for a new drivers seat and steering wheel - the standard items are under and over sized (respectively) and are pretty much useless for people my size! The R32 GTR seats are apparently much better, but alas I have never driven one and hence cannot comment.

Alright, thanks for the info on sizing. I will most likely be using it for both and maybe even some... I guess it would be like circuit? ... racing. Knowing that I can switch between AWD and FWD with a switch ( gotta install first, I know ) makes me wnat the GTR, a bit more power and better car for the most part. Now, to get the money >_<

Thanks

Mazikowski

Id go the gtst personally, cheaper parts and parts are easly found. with the extra money you will have left if you bought a gtst, you could put it back into your car. dont let the GTR badge fool you I have seen plenty of gtst beat gtr in races on the street and personally, there's not substitute for hanging that arse out when you feel the need to. :O

why would it be less expensive? I would end up putting an RB26 in most likely.

I will have to do some more research into it, but I still have a while to go before I would be fully deciding.

why bother with the rb26, go the rb 30, with rb25 top end, its stronger and can produce big hp. and go 1 big single turbo rather then twin turbo.

with the bigger engine, and reduced weight (not having a GTR) = :)

but how hard would it be for me to get a 30 with rb25 top end? Like I said, It will take some research... thanks for the advice all the same

::EDIT::

Although it has a larger displacement than the RB26DETT, maximum possible horsepower is less, as the RB30 block lacks the RB26 block's internal cast-in bracing, and consequently cannot rev as high due to harmonic issues at ~7500RPM. To compensate, the RB30DET produces more torque at lower revs.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_RB_engine#RB30

Edited by Mazikowski

• 2 weeks later...