SAU Community

Installing An Oil Cooler R32 Gtr

my_gtr32

Hi guys,

Looking at installing an engine oil cooler with a filter relocation kit. Seen a couple kits, and like the Trust / Greddy setup. I'm thinking of buying the vehicle specific kit to suit a R32 GTR, with the cooler mounted on the right hand side of the front bar.

Has anyone tried to fit this type of kit? Do the instructions, mainly diagrams, help? Assuming all the words will be in Japanese of course. Are the hoses the right length, brackets fit, etc?

I’ve read the tutorial section about installing an oil cooler and that’s a great help, but I would like to hear from people with any experience installing the Trust kit or other kits designed to be a simple 'bolt-on' installation.

Thanks in advance

post-22417-1158299226.jpg

This cooler is designed to sit infront of the Radiator GTR32 and the brackets are made up to suit.

I had this cooler supplied to fit the GTR33, the trouble is the aircon. is there where it is suppose to go.

I am getting longer lines made up to fit inside the left wheel arch.

All good Import shops should be able to install this unit for you at around $350 which includfes an Oil Change.

If you are planning to do it yourself ask some-one on this forum to give you some pics on where

the pieces all go .

I have heard though they are pain to install because you have to do work where the filter is at the moment which is a pretty tight squeez as it is.

The trust kit is the best but expensive. There are some group buys or Businesses selling Oil Cooler for less than a 3rd of the price than the one you have shown here.

I paid $900 for this unit 8 months ago the price has dropped since. :sick:

It would have been installed by now if I had the right kit. :O

Hope I have been some help.

Hey,

Thanks for the info. There are a number of Trust kits listed, all with different size coolers and hoses designed to fit in varrious locations. Some mount behind the radiator and others behind right side of front bar, near BOV's. The behind front bar type, (near BOV's), is the one I'm after as my car is mainly street driven. I think its only a 10 row cooler that fits in this location. I've heard of others that mount under somewhere, not very sure where exactly.

Can anyone help?

This cooler is designed to sit infront of the Radiator GTR32 and the brackets are made up to suit.

I had this cooler supplied to fit the GTR33, the trouble is the aircon. is there where it is suppose to go.

I am getting longer lines made up to fit inside the left wheel arch.

All good Import shops should be able to install this unit for you at around $350 which includfes an Oil Change.

If you are planning to do it yourself ask some-one on this forum to give you some pics on where

the pieces all go .

I have heard though they are pain to install because you have to do work where the filter is at the moment which is a pretty tight squeez as it is.

The trust kit is the best but expensive. There are some group buys or Businesses selling Oil Cooler for less than a 3rd of the price than the one you have shown here.

I paid $900 for this unit 8 months ago the price has dropped since. :sick:

It would have been installed by now if I had the right kit. :O

Hope I have been some help.

Got a kit from UAS. I fitted the kit which came with oil filter relocation adapters, braided hose, earls fittings and 19 row cooler. Had to make up some brackets and fitted cooler in front of the blowoff valves.

Oil changes are not a pain anymore as a bonus.

Yeah, filter relocation kit is a must. I hate changing that dam filter on a gtr.

I had a look at a diagram of the Trust cooler setup. The models with the in-block / internal thermostat are interesting. From what I can see, if the oil is too cool, the thermo bypasses the cooler AND the oil filter!

There are only two hoses comming off the adaptor where the filter used to go, so it must bypass the oil filter aswel. The external thermo models have the thermo fitted between the hoses going to the cooler only and alows the oil to still go through the filter when cold.

Am I right? I hope not, but I can't see how else it can work.

Got a kit from UAS. I fitted the kit which came with oil filter relocation adapters, braided hose, earls fittings and 19 row cooler. Had to make up some brackets and fitted cooler in front of the blowoff valves.

Oil changes are not a pain anymore as a bonus.

• 5 years later...

Hey fellas . bought one of these kits and the intructions are farkn shit all japanese,,, Looks like the cooler itself faces downways when installed roughly around the radiator area at the bottom...

No idea on how to install it because i cant find any pictures on the net.... I wudda much prefered on the passenger side vent ... But the lines arnt long enough ffs !!!

Plz help

Remember guys this is a real mod and you might have to do some chopping and drilling to fit it.

Also your gunna have to look for the best place and way to mount the bits, everyone has different needs, tools etc.

If you google images of oil cooler youll see all the different ways.

For example im relocating the battery to the boot, the thermostat and filter will go there. It also frees up space to relocate my catch can.

I have a big intercooler and theres no space up front so Im thinking of putting the cooler in front of the right wheel with a guard to stop rocks flying off the wheel into it.

I got a cheap kit and had to buy a thermostat, hoses and fittings to complete it.

So it cost about $700 all up.

Ps. With Speedflow style hoses you can remove the ends, get a longer hose and refit the ends.

When you get the hose ask the guy how to refit the ends so you do it properly.

Ive tried to google where to put it under the car and its very hard to find a photo, all i got is the shit photos with the cooler.... im sure shit wont be that hard tho once im under the car, the brackets are made to fit the car without cutting shit

I will install my one within the next 2 weeks and i will post photos to help future buyers

Edited by sultanaz

Have a look at this thread. On the second page there are a few pics of how the cooler sits under the car.

Mine is the same unit, but my filter relocation kit goes up next to the battery (like most kits) and not in the front bar like these pics.

http://www.skylinesa...0cooler__st__20

Let me know if you need anymore pics. Have had mine in for a few years now, and they are awesome. For airflow, the under the car location is amazing, and if anything in winter can keep temps a little too cold.

Also don't worry about things hitting it as although its underneath, its in front of wheels so nothing flings up, and if you run into something, it's higher than the lip of the front bar so you'll rip that off well and truly before anything happens to the cooler. the fins on mine are in pretty good nick.

Because of the low position, you can change the oil in the lines very easily as well. Due to the length of the lines it does take a fair bit of oil more than standard, close to 6.5L off memory, but again with the low location, you get all that out when you do a change.

Most other locations, getting all the old oil out is a PITA.