SAU Community

How Loud!

Zdenko

How loud would it be if i had a 3 inch cat back exhaust system with a 4 inch tip and a straight threw cat pipe?

would that be pretty god damn loud.. i would think so any one done that before?

and do you get flames coming out when shifting?

It depends. If you choose not to put a cat, then yes it is going to be loud. I got a 3-3/4 inch pipe all the way through with with a big tip, and it doesn't sound loud at all. It makes deep, bassy sounds, naturally, more than standard system. But not that loud. The thing is, I put two cats in there. One at the original spot and another one somewhere near the fuel tank.

In terms of performance, yes. It is more breatheable (as I call it) at the higher rpm. You can feel it. But you would suffer just a tiny bit down low.

As for the sounds, it has a huge diffrence if you do not put a cat in there.

Flames are not dependant on the muffler, dude... It's more a system thing, how you program your ECU...

No, terrance... making a car sounds loud does not necessarily makes it run faster. However, fast car does sound loud!

no im not saying muffler.

im saying the cat, my theory is, when i took my cat off i had flames come out.. now if i have a straight threw no restriction 3 inch exhaust.. in result should get flames down shifting... i just wanted to know if any one has this set up and does it happen?

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by Shiro

It depends.  If you choose not to put a cat, then yes it is going to be loud.  I got a 3-3/4 inch pipe all the way through with with a big tip, and it doesn't sound loud at all.  It makes deep, bassy sounds, naturally, more than standard system.  But not that loud.  The thing is, I put two cats in there.  One at the original spot and another one somewhere near the fuel tank.

y did u put a big exhaust on and then put on 2 cats?

the cats are the most restrictive parts of the exhaust!

It depends.  If you choose not to put a cat, then yes it is going to be loud.  I got a 3-3/4 inch pipe all the way through with with a big tip, and it doesn't sound loud at all.  It makes deep, bassy sounds, naturally, more than standard system.  But not that loud.  The thing is, I put two cats in there.  One at the original spot and another one somewhere near the fuel tank.

if you were concerned about noise then why didnt you just put 2 resonators in? two cats... WTF?

yes. yes you get flames. Big flames. about 3 feet long, a nice orange blue... stainless dump, trust front, trust 'racing cat' :), 4" trust to straight through system... standard ECU. Between gears 1-2 and 2-3 at night the whole surrounding area lights up like a lightening strike... of course i now have a cat

PS loud... try 102dB on for size at 3000rpm, imagine at redline!

Bigger exhaust does not allways produce more power. As with most things, once you exceed a certain size, it is pointless going bigger. A freind took off his 3" exhaust from the turbo/dump pipe, at the drags last year, and he lost 0.1 of a second

most cars out there are running undersized exhausts. ive been told that a car running around 300 rwkw should have a 5 inch exhaust. theres a few cars running that power but i doubt there running that exhaust size.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by aybee

most cars out there are running undersized exhausts. ive been told that a car running around 300 rwkw should have a 5 inch exhaust. theres a few cars running that power but i doubt there running that exhaust size.

pffft 5inch exhaust!

who da *** told u that crap

Originally posted by aybee

If there are alot of cars running that type of power, with only a 3" or 3.5" exhaust, it obviously not required to have a 5". So many w/shops can't be wrong, the person who told you that either has no idea about turbo cars or is talking 5h1t. What it an exhaust place, trying to drum up some extra cash?

A lot of things could cause that kind of miss at the strip.  It could be a bad launch or something.  I do not think exhaust system would only affect 0.1 sec, Dude!

I have to agree with you 100%. What i should have also wrote was that the only difference the owner felt was the extra "lag/sluggishness" off boost. I guess the only way to tell is by getting the car on a dyno and doing a few runs with ex. and a few without.