SAU Community

Exclusive Video And Spy Photos: New Skyline Gt-r

Maxx

After the American consumer reaction to the E60 M5 (with it's 7-speed SMG gearbox), I seriously doubt Nissan would pitch this car to an American market without a tranditional 6-speed manual transmission available at least as an option.

On a side note, isn't it convenient that at around the same time as the new GTR is undergoing prototype testing, Renault (who own Nissan remember) mysteriously aquired a brand new 420 horsepower direct injection 3.5 litre twin-turbo V6 engine with 7 speed sequential gearbox for use in their Nepta concept car?

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Rena...aris_Motor_Show

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice video! But i wasnt happy to hear that it will be some power auto gear box or whatever the guy was talking about - it should be manual like all gtrs.

As long as the gearbox changes when I tell it to, and only when I tell it to, I don't care if the car has a clutch or not. Most of the high end clutchless manuals will beat a human in gearchange time, and the good ones hold whatever gear you select unless the car starts stalling.

If the next GT-R is released with a DSG gearbox I'll be very happy. Instantaneous shifts means no lag, and as long as it lets me bounce off the limiter instead of changing up then we'll get along just fine.

f**k manuals, wake up its 2006... only cavemen drive manuals!

Obviously Nissan thought about performance when creating a GTR.

Soon manual gearboxes will be phased out altogrether, what you all gonna do then?

oh noes no manual, we will all die a terrible death :P

how about... stick to your autos, woman :D

it's fact, humans can't shift as fast a the top of the line auto boxes. period. DSG is arguably the best gearbox out there at the moment, something about 2 clutches, and having the next gear ready. Was it "borrowed" from maserati?

anywho, 997 Turbo turbo uses a slush box, one of the head tech dudes was quoted as saying something along the lines of 'it shifts quicker than any human can, so why not use it over a manual?" damn straight too.

Check the specs of a DSG VW car compared to a manual, DSG 0-100 times are significantly quicker

If I wanted to play Grand Turismo I'd whip out the playstation 2. Yes they make for a faster car, but I personally like a "drivers" car.

No traction control, no ABS, none of that fuzzy fluff. I want to drive my car, not it drive for me.

Now if I was on a race track trying to win no matter what, give me a DSG paddle box any day :D

Ontopic: Hot looking car, will be interesting to see it in the flesh. Can't wait to test drive one, ahhh contacts :P Interesting that they are already planning the 2009 model. Good to have the GTR return once again.

i wouldn't really believe much of the title, re 2009, considering they're still insisting it's a Skyline.

all the top performance cars you can turn off pretty much all the eletronic aids, except ABS. And the gearboxes only change WHEN you want them, so they are just manuals anyway. Just electronically operated clutches.

So the only thing you have to "live" with is ABS. I would think your R33 has ABS, why haven't you ripped it out yet?

You have to appreciate at some stage, there are some things that car can do better on it's own, than with a human controlling it.

I said for my fun. Nope my skyline doesn't have ABS.

I'm not going to rip ABS off a car unless it was track only. I was pointing out why people like manual, it's about doing the driving yourself. Like I said, on track if I was trying to be the fastest out there I'd take every trick in the book, but I'm only interested in having fun at the moment.

When the gearboxes let me f**kup and stall I'd be more willing... but my left foot would still get bored =\ Yep, I drive through bumper to bumper traffic with a heavy clutch, I love it!

Not dissing the boxes, just saying why I prefer what I prefer :D

Don't like the idea of the paddle shift boxes for the street. I want a GTR with a traditional H-pattern manual.

Imagine you're cruising at 70km/h in top gear (7th), but with full manual mode activated. For whatever reason, you feel like giving the car a boot (not suggesting for any minute that the reason might be another car in the lane next to you - I don't condone street racing :mellow: ). So you want 2nd gear. Pull left paddle... 6th... pull paddle... 5th... pull paddle... 4th... pull paddle... 3rd... pull paddle... 2nd! Dunno, just seems a regular 6-speed box would be a little more practical there.

Also, I'll often wind out 2nd a bit, then shift straight into top gear at the speed limit. Again, it'll take me a million paddle blips to make what in a manual would be a single gear shift.

I'm sure it's great on the race track when you always want the car at max revs, but in the real world I don't think it would suit my driving habits...

Might be perfect for someone else's driving habits though!

Edited by Big Rizza

Do you drive a manual to feel more manly? :P

Yes, clearly that is why I drive a manual! You are such girly man for driving auto!!! :mellow::(

As LightAssassin mentioned, us "cavemen" like manual for the driving experience. If I wanted a easy relaxed saggy ride from A to B I take my old man's AUTOMATIC Commonwhore out, which I do when I cbf taking the Skyline out.

But seriously your question, what are we gonna do when it's phased out... umm nothing? :mad:

Also Rezz raised a few points which apply to me. :D

ever had a flappy paddle gearbox equiped car sideways? when your hands are only a blur as you adjust steering angle it makes changing up a gear quite impossible.

H-Pattern for me any day.

/caveman out.

here's a fun fact for ALL of you

you will never EVER be able to afford one of these things,

if you COULD afford one of these machines, you would be a FOOL to put it sideways. gt-rs have never been designed for that, as a matter of fact they have features to combat that,

ie: hicas, attessa, abs, being cool etc

just putting that out there

Yes, clearly that is why I drive a manual! You are such girly man for driving auto!!! :laugh::ermm:

As LightAssassin mentioned, us "cavemen" like manual for the driving experience. If I wanted a easy relaxed saggy ride from A to B I take my old man's AUTOMATIC Commonwhore out, which I do when I cbf taking the Skyline out.

But seriously your question, what are we gonna do when it's phased out... umm nothing? :)

Also Rezz raised a few points which apply to me. :)

Well I like cruising in my car, giving it some and fondle my girlfriends tits when I please...

this doesn't have anything to do with $, but all to do with preferences.

That's why most performance marques have the paddles AND a shifter of sorts. The newer SMG versions (which are actually good) are a sequential style shifter. Pull back to go UP, push up to go DOWN (gears). I would imagine the GTR would have some shifter, and maybe paddles. To address the full lock + paddles issue.

but that's a good point about shifting from say 2nd to 5th. I'd be willing to bet though, that you could flick the paddle 3 times just as fast as shifting to 5th.