SAU Community

Is Any One Running A Straight Cut Dog Box In A Gtr?

rx-[7]

Hi

I have a 32 gtr, whichim building a big rb30/26 combo for and im thinking of getting a dog box with straigh cut 1-4 with helical 5th, but i have never been in a car with a straight cut box. Just wondering if there is anyone in the sydney area the could take me for a drive with that box in their car. i dont want to throw $8000 down the drain. Any help would be great.

I live in Kellyville.

Thanks Jake

Edited by rx-[7]

I've driven a couple of cars with dogboxes. They're great on the track, but if it's gonna be your daily driver, don't bother.

They make weird noises at idle, and the shock of frequent gear changes can't be good for your driveline.

my 2c

Cheers

if its for daily driving i'd recommend getting your gearbox rebuilt with at least 1-2 or 1-3 straight cut gears, and the rest hellical.

a gearbox with dog gears have syncros and make it easier to change gears around the street and have syncros so changing gears will be like your current gearbox.

a complete dog box doesnt have syncros and makes it a little bit of a bitch to drive around on the street as you've got to match rpm and speed to gears, it gets easy after a while but its still a pain to drive on the street (but truck drivers do it every day so its not THAT bad).

it all comes down to what you want the car for mate. hope that helps.

I had the understanding dog boxes used dog engagment rings instead of syncros, and only kind of syncro boxes upgrades were just up rated gearsets such as the OS crossmission gear set. I thought the only time you really mixed syncros and a dog box was when you had say the ppg 1-4th helical cut gear set with standard 5th, which used the synco still only on the standard 5th gear. I may be wrong though?

Still either way does any one have a straight cut or helical cut dog box in there car they could take me for a drive in? PLEASEEEEEEEE :)

Edited by rx-[7]

a gearbox with dog gears have syncros and make it easier to change gears around the street and have syncros so changing gears will be like your current gearbox.

a complete dog box doesnt have syncros and makes it a little bit of a bitch to drive around on the street as you've got to match rpm and speed to gears, it gets easy after a while but its still a pain to drive on the street (but truck drivers do it every day so its not THAT bad).

you can't have dog engagement and synchro engagement at the same time. you could have some gears dog, and some synchro, but you can't have dog and synchro together.

if you are doing any street driving i would avoid a dog engagement gear-set. particularly when you match dog rings, along with straight cut gears it's going to be noisy, and a bitch to shift when tootling around town.

I'm seconding the notion for straight cut 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

If it weren't for the fact of the amount of use 4th gear sees around the street, I'd also recommend it if it were to be used on the track.

But since still street driven, do 1st, 2nd, 3rd straight cut, with synchro...

Can't beat the whine of a straight cut gear!

' date='30 Oct 2006, 06:17 PM' post='2627016']

who makes synco engagment up-rated gear sets. I dont want to go OS, my mate just blew one and heard bad things from lots of people.

Hey Jake, It's benny.

Hows the Rotor coming along?

If you don't want to go OS with the added torque you could look at a Pfitzner unit. Probably run you about $6.5k for a four gear set that retains the stock 5th gear, but includes stronger selector forks ($1100) included in the $6.5k. They go up from there to upwards of $9k for a straight out dog engagement for track use/drag racing. This is a dog engagement thøugh.

Alternative is PAR which uses a five speed dog gearset and upgraded selector forks for $6300. You also get the option of choosing your own gear ratios.

Also from PAR you can get helical cut or straight cut gears (same price). Or a combination of both. I wouldn't expect much change out of $5k but they do syncro boxes as well with stock or custom ordered ratios.

' date='30 Oct 2006, 06:17 PM' post='2627016']

who makes synco engagment up-rated gear sets. I dont want to go OS, my mate just blew one and heard bad things from lots of people.

What sort of thing have you heard/seen about the OS sets?

PM me if you prefer