SAU Community

R34 Gtr 2j Conversion

s2krazy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have mentioned previously there is nothing wrong with 1JZ/JZ's themselves (other than the turbo being on the wrong side), it is the stuff bolts on to the engine that is the problem.

One example, multiple throttle bodies on RB26's, there is nothing even remotely close on JZ's. This makes such a huge difference in throttle response, which for a road car is nice to have and for a circuit car is a MUST.

Second example, gearboxes, the fact is Toyota don't make a decent manual gearbox that bolts to a JZ. They admit it themselves by using Gertrag to supply gearboxes for the Supras. Who cares for a drag car, run an auto.

Third example, no 4wd option. It's all very well for the JZ to make lots of power, but that is pretty damn useless if you can't get it to the ground. Traction is a nice thing for a road car to have and for a circuit car it is a MUST. For a 1/4 mile car, well who cares, just use bigger drag slicks on the rear.

When chosing an engine, sometimes the most important thing is not the engine itself, but how that engine fits into the rest of the package around it. This is why an RB20/25/26/30 will always be a superior choice.

:P cheers ;)

Second example, gearboxes, the fact is Toyota don't make a decent manual gearbox that bolts to a JZ. They admit it themselves by using Gertrag to supply gearboxes for the Supras. Who cares for a drag car, run an auto.

Um, are you stupid? The R34 getrag has pretty much the same guts as the Supra V160, just with a transfer case. Also there are Supra's in the 8's running the getrag, instead of getting an auto, learn to shift.

If you mean Getrag make the box and not Toyota, I could say the same for Nissan, their RB boxes are shite, the Getrag however is awesome. End of the day who gives a shit, they come with awesome boxes, I'm perfectly happy to have one of the best gearboxes out there provided OEM in my car, as I'm sure R34 GTR owners feel the same.

Third example, no 4wd option. It's all very well for the JZ to make lots of power, but that is pretty damn useless if you can't get it to the ground. Traction is a nice thing for a road car to have and for a circuit car it is a MUST. For a 1/4 mile car, well who cares, just use bigger drag slicks on the rear.
Personally I wouldn't of bought a Supra if it was awd, heavy shit, and makes the car feel like it bogs down when you take off if you don't fully launch it.
When chosing an engine, sometimes the most important thing is not the engine itself, but how that engine fits into the rest of the package around it. This is why an RB20/25/26/30 will always be a superior choice.

RB20/25 are a superier choice? What are the school holidays kids coming out already?

Dan.

Edited by Sicarius123

Um, are you stupid? The R34 getrag has pretty much the same guts as the Supra V160, just with a transfer case. Also there are Supra's in the 8's running the getrag, instead of getting an auto, learn to shift.

If you mean Getrag make the box and not Toyota, I could say the same for Nissan, their RB boxes are shite, the Getrag however is awesome. End of the day who gives a shit, they come with awesome boxes, I'm perfectly happy to have one of the best gearboxes out there provided OEM in my car, as I'm sure R34 GTR owners feel the same.

Personally I wouldn't of bought a Supra if it was awd, heavy shit, and makes the car feel like it bogs down when you take off if you don't fully launch it.

RB20/25 are a superier choice? What are the school holidays kids coming out already?

Dan.

okay....

calling SYDNEYKID a school holiday kid?? kidding me right??

seriously after reading your post on boost and here, you proved to me that you are a complete ignorant tool....

you certainly got a point to prove against skylines, dont u??

seriously champ, go back to your dragstrip or supra forum.....with your T51 and 2JZ......champ, you are nothing special than the next kid who turns up with cash to buy a supra....

so if the 1/4 is such a big thing what do u run down it? hows the traction on your "rwd light shit"?

your mum and dad should have bought u a excel before buying u a supra........

okay....

calling SYDNEYKID a school holiday kid?? kidding me right??

seriously after reading your post on boost and here, you proved to me that you are a complete ignorant tool....

you certainly got a point to prove against skylines, dont u??

seriously champ, go back to your dragstrip or supra forum.....with your T51 and 2JZ......champ, you are nothing special than the next kid who turns up with cash to buy a supra....

Actually I love Skylines, found my best mate probably the least strapped 32GTR in aus, also needed a bit of work in maintenance, but he had the money to build up the engine in the first place and was always his intentions. Also sourced my sister an NA 33 for her first car because it was easy to drive, reliable, and looked good.

You think just because this is a Skylines forum I should sit back and watch ignorant idiots make comments about things they have absolutely no idea about, just because they're a Nissan fanboy?

What, because sydneykid is some regular poster you're going to ignore the stupid comments he's made? Like Supra gearboxes being shit because they're not all made by Toyota? Oh and sorry I forgot to point out the R154, the Toyota JZ 5spd which is plenty strong for most applications. You do realise the Supra V160 and R34 6spd are 95% the same box, calling one shit is calling the other shit.

Also I've got no interest in the dragstrip, we don't even have a dragstrip in Canberra, maybe if you had 3L to play with you would be able to enjoy a bigger turbo like a T51R, go whack an RB30 bottom end on your car and try it :laugh:

Dan.

checkout this thread on supraforums about a ford probe with a 2jz/auto. its an NA 2jz with stock turbo pistons and head gasket and stock rods and stock cams, and a GT4276 turbo running 32psi.

it has run a 9.00@153mph

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376325

heres a video of the run...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/964b6d1...84d01896f24.htm

show me a stock internal rb engine surviving on 32psi and running anywhere near that time in oz :ninja:

im getting me a 2jz one day, they are f**kin killer motors. i'd much rather be doing custom plenums and bolt on stuff on a 2jz than changing internals on a rb.

Edited by CruiseLiner

You think just because this is a Skylines forum I should sit back and watch ignorant idiots make comments about things they have absolutely no idea about, just because they're a Nissan fanboy?

Also I've got no interest in the dragstrip, we don't even have a dragstrip in Canberra, maybe if you had 3L to play with you would be able to enjoy a bigger turbo like a T51R, go whack an RB30 bottom end on your car and try it :ninja:

Dan.

You make yourself sound like one of the ignorant idiots, making stupid comments about not being able to enjoy a T51R on a RB26, a sorted RB26 will rev that T51R to over 11,000 rpm.

2jz's standard bottem end may hold more power but who gives a shit, dont kid yourself you will enevitably have to rebuild it when making that much power ,just like every other motor.

I would of liked to see the GTR come out in the good ol USofA just to see all the development that all the big name US workshops would of done with it.

The RB26 cant be as bad as you say look at Reece Mcgregor that motor in a simular chassis to the Titan motorsorts Drag cars would have no problem running head to head Reece's car apparently makes more power than those things.

Instead of being a ignorant fool put things into perspective.

checkout this thread on supraforums about a ford probe with a 2jz/auto. its an NA 2jz with stock turbo pistons and head gasket and stock rods and stock cams, and a GT4276 turbo running 32psi.

it has run a 9.00@153mph

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376325

heres a video of the run...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/964b6d1...84d01896f24.htm

show me a stock internal rb engine surviving on 32psi and running anywhere near that time in oz :ninja:

im getting me a 2jz one day, they are f**kin killer motors. i'd much rather be doing custom plenums and bolt on stuff on a 2jz than changing internals on a rb.

Well i belive mick stanik from subzero motorsports a year or 2 ago had a R32 GTR with a 2 speed powerglide standard innards made something like over 700KW+ at ALL FOUR WHEELS, went and ran it and on the first pass was well on it way to a high 8'sec to very low 9'sec pass and well towards over 150mph but backed it off and jumped on the brakes because he didnt want cut up the car. he ended going a 10.4 and got kicked of the track.

You make yourself sound like one of the ignorant idiots, making stupid comments about not being able to enjoy a T51R on a RB26, a sorted RB26 will rev that T51R to over 11,000 rpm.

2jz's standard bottem end may hold more power but who gives a shit, dont kid yourself you will enevitably have to rebuild it when making that much power ,just like every other motor.

I would of liked to see the GTR come out in the good ol USofA just to see all the development that all the big name US workshops would of done with it.

The RB26 cant be as bad as you say look at Reece Mcgregor that motor in a simular chassis to the Titan motorsorts Drag cars would have no problem running head to head Reece's car apparently makes more power than those things.

i small thing different from reece's car to the likes of those titan cars, is that reece uses a full billet block

My comment on the T51R was in reply to an obvious spool time comment above implying it would only be any good for the drag strip, it's quite capable on the street, it's not of the oldschool mind of "rebuild a giant truck turbo for huge power and no bottom end". I also plan to take it to the track far more than I've ever intended on taking it to the drags.

I know there are a few T51R equipped GTR's in Australia, but I get the feeling the post frankxinyu made he'd like that even less than the big turbo on the Supra! I especially love that QLD midnight purple GTR with the T51R, awesome car.

Personally if I was building an Rb26 I wouldn't go bigger than a T04z on stock capacity because I don't like that much lag, unless it had been stroked to 2.8L, or had a 3.0L bottom end. But hey, other people don't care about the lag, and they can build whatever they like. Same way someone with small twins would probably look at my setup and think it would have too much lag, as they prefer not dealing with any lag at all.

Personally I prefer the tuning done by big name Japanese workshops to a lot of the US ones, as they seem to push out huge dyno and drag cars, but not so much in the way of track cars, however the ones that do come out are awesome. A lot of the big name US Supra's have turbo's 2-3time the size of mine.

I never said the RB26 was bad at all did I? In fact I find the engines response and delivery quite refined, especially when compared to other Nissan engines, they just feel so damn smooth. Nissan really did put huge effort into the Rb26 to do exactly what it does the best that they could.

Toyota on the other hand over-engineered the 2JZ and 1JZ to hell, I'm personally sure they could of gotten better response and delivery from the factory by working harder with the production goals of the car, but I'm also very thankful that they didn't and provided us with engines that can pull such huge numbers compared to factory specs with only bolt on components, a modifyers paradise.

Come to think of it, I think the only "bad" things I've said about GTR's in here are you need to rebuild them earlier in the modifying scope, and they feel like they bog down a bit when taking off in normal driving. Oh and they happen to weigh more than Supra's, which I didn't really bring up in an attack on GTR's, I brought up as an attack on idiots who paint the Supra as a heavy pig without having any idea what they're talking about.

Dan.

Edited by Sicarius123

Shanef: and a standard chassis car getting very close to their mile

Oh another thing, I personally don't like cross brand engine swaps, for absolutely no legitimate reason. I just don't like it.

Personally I'd love to get ahold of an S15 or late 180sx and do an RB26 swap into one when funds allow, and keep it all stripped out as a dedicated track car.

Dan.

Oh another thing, I personally don't like cross brand engine swaps, for absolutely no legitimate reason. I just don't like it.

Personally I'd love to get ahold of an S15 or late 180sx and do an RB26 swap into one when funds allow, and keep it all stripped out as a dedicated track car.

Dan.

engine swap ?

oh but i thought you said a 2jz would of been ultimate for circuit a few mins ago ? itll be no good because theirs to much lag from a 2.6 for circuit according to your last posts.

engine swap ?

oh but i thought you said a 2jz would of been ultimate for circuit a few mins ago ? itll be no good because theirs to much lag from a 2.6 for circuit according to your last posts.

You didn't actually read my last two posts did you? Try reading the one before that, and re-think your comment.

Also the ultimate circuit car is a stripped out dedicated circuit car. I enjoy my creature comforts far too much to have my Supra head that way.

Dan.