SAU Community

Replacing rears in R32

geordie

I have just undergone this process with my car and it wasn't till i acctualy started that i realised what pain in the arse this job is, having to pull the whole internal parcel shelf out but only as far as the power cable for the passenger fan will allow, then have to get the old speakers out (mine were, absolutely busted, the foam on the edges was non existant and they were the same colour as canvas) just to help out the screws holding in the factory speakers are realy tight and with the very limited work room due to the rear windsreeen.....AHHHHHH i'm goinng nuts.....i'm just having a winge here, has any one else tried this?? i feel sory for any one who wants to pt something bigger than the factory speakers (which i'm not doing) ie: 6x9 coz you have your work cut out for you.

Guest nubbin

Hi,I've just has some 6 by 9s put in my R32. It's not too hard. You have to make an oval mount out of something like fibre board so the speaker is held above the shield and so there is enough space for the magnet to slot in the standard round holes where the old speakers were. The mount needed to be about 8mm high for my speakers. You cover the the mount with the same colour carpet as on the parcel shelf. Then you glue the speaker to the mount. Then you get in the boot and drill a couple of holes thru the metal and into the mount. You tighten screws into these holes from the boot and your done.

My local car hifi shop charged about 20 quid to do this for me, I could have done it execept I didn't have the carpet.

Yeah well i had enough trouble tryna get my rear parcel shelf out coz i got the fan for the pasengers in the on the rear shelf and it doesnt have a nice clip power like the other things around the car and i wasnt to keen on cutting the cable to get it outa the way, i got em in though just gotta bolt the parcel shelf back in nice and secure so that the fan stop vibrating against the rear window, i also wanted to retain the factory grills so that it looks stock.

I am also trying to change the rear speakers in my 32... It is the BIGGEST pain in the arse... I totally know what you mean geordie... The bloody back window doesnt give much room. The rubbers around my speakers have also disappeared.

Did you have to take out or fold down the rear seats to get the pacel shelf out. If so how do you take the seats out/fold down to make more room?

I would also be interested to see your work 2gu up.

Ok i changed the speakers now....Its all good. I took some pics in the process of it 4 my site 2.. They will be up soon..

It wasnt THAT hard actually.. i just wasnt using my brain enough b4

Yeah i just unbolted the baby capsule holding thingys, then used force to lift the shelf oout, then turned it sideways and pulled it out best i could (as far as the power cable for the fan would allow) then fumbled round with the factory speakers, there was very little room available, its tedious but not impossible, patience is required.