SAU Community

Changing The Cams. - What Else At The Same Time?

Nasti

Hi Guys,

Car in question is a 1996 R33 Skyline GTS-T Series 2. Will soon be replacing the standard Cams with a pair of Tomei PonCams and since the car is almost at 100,000km we are thinking to also replace:

-Timing Belt

-Belt Tensioner

-Water Pump

-Crank-shaft seal

-Cam-shaft seals (these will probably be changed anyway)

-Cam-cover/Rocker-cover seal

1. Have I missed anything? (above list is just generic stuff)

2. Does anybody reccommend we change anything else while the car is apart?

3. Is Nissan AUS the best people to buy these parts off?

Do not mind spending a bit extra for preventative causes even though some parts may not require changing just yet.

(FYI the car's mods are; I/C, turbo, exhaust, PowerFC, injectors, coil packs, Z32 AFM - to go on at the same time as the cams)

Any comments are welcome.

Thank you.

there is a thread with part no's of the aftermarket tensioner and idler pulleys that you should get from a bearing shop, about $45each.

nissan will want a shite load more then that, some ridiculous price last time it was discussed on here, around $150 or so, what a joke...

you may get an aftermarket timing belt a little cheaper if you ring around some local parts places.

genuine seals are around $17each from nissan or $5 for aftermarket seals from local parts place. (just ask for vl commodore/r31 skyline RB30 seals - they are all the same) ( the two cams and crank/oil pump seal are all the same size, so you need 3x)

as for the pump, you have to be careful, some aftermarket pumps have the wide groove on one of the bolt holes which means it will suit any RB engine, but the normal aftermarket pumps for RB20/30 sometimes don't have the wide groove and will not fit the RB25, which has a bolt a little offset, you will need to search here for what aftermarket brands have the groove to suit all RB engines, or go to the shop and have a look at them. (aftermarket pumps can be had for as low as $88)

rarely do you need to change the rocker cover gaskets, they have always sealed up good for me on all my engines. they are soft rubber after all.

when you do the lower timing seal, the timing gear will be a bitch to remove, all i can say is GOODLUCK. haha...

looks like you have all the basics covered.

Edited by RB30-POWER

Spark plugs? oil filter, fuel filter. All those little things while you're at it.

Change oil and coolant... gearbox oil...

Change the water and alternator belts while you're at it.

RB30-POWER and RANDY thank you very much for your replies - much appreciated.

I will be sure to do proper research into which parts i require and which are interchangable with the RB30 etc.

Thanks for the hints on the seals and water pump as well as the hint to change the belts - i almost forgot about that.

Cheers.