SAU Community

Self-parking Car

lol god knows how many millions of dollars of developement there are in that. why not just learn to park? anyway has that tech been around for a while? im sure i've seen it on one of the low spec toyotas too... maybe a concept tho

Has been on the Japapnese Prius since the second model a couple of years ago - not currently approved in US or Oz due to the litigious nature of our legal system (i.e. is Tooyta liable if the car hits someone while parking itself.

lol god knows how many millions of dollars of developement there are in that. why not just learn to park? anyway has that tech been around for a while? im sure i've seen it on one of the low spec toyotas too... maybe a concept tho

simple - dont park in tight spots - if ones not comfortable in parallel parking, then park somewhere else where its 90 or 45, and then walk to where ever you wanna go :P

You know, I just think they should design cars without stupidly big blindspots and boots and bonnets that just dissappear.

That said if I had a lexus and just spent $200k or whatever they are worth these days, I would really want it to park its self. Just like the mercs cruise control and braking. You pay the money you want some fancy pants gear for it!

Oh great, just what we need.........

There's more than enough morons on the road as it is that clearly cannot "drive" & now they don't even have to have the skill to park either :P

Got to agree here.

I know a sheila that will drive around for hours to find a space she can drive into rather than reverse park.

They have to do it to get a license so what happens to that skill afterwards.

Cheers, D

thats pretty cool

i reckon that wuld be an awesome feature for people who can drive

but at times u cbf parking, just press the buttons and sit back.........

nicely said daveo

paying that much for a car i wuld expect the thing to make coffee while you wait for it to park lol

Technology advances to make people's life easier. Car manufacturers are no doubt trying to move towards a driverless age. The newest S-class already has an automatic brake system.

We have manual cars, then automatic transmissions came in.

We have brakes, then ABS came in.

We have manual winding mirror, then the motorised ones are invented.

There's always a market for technology that makes cars easier and safer. If you don't want it, just don't buy it. It will save you alot of money too.

i think more the matter is, when it comes to abs it is safer, alot of things have been introduced for safety... this has pros and cons, as mentioned u spend this much money it would be great to get little gizmos and gadgets etc to do stuff for u, but on the downside think of how many people ( i dont wanna descriminate etc) especially rich old women who drive around in their luxury cars that dont have 2 cents idea how to do it, so this would encourage them to just "let something do it for u" rather than learn as u should... but also on the plus side if they hit something u cant blame them lol u blame the car haha

i like parking like normal lol

Technology advances to make people's life easier. Car manufacturers are no doubt trying to move towards a driverless age. The newest S-class already has an automatic brake system.

We have manual cars, then automatic transmissions came in.

We have brakes, then ABS came in.

We have manual winding mirror, then the motorised ones are invented.

There's always a market for technology that makes cars easier and safer. If you don't want it, just don't buy it. It will save you alot of money too.

Some technology to prevent stupidity would be nice.

The more technology that overides the mental capacity of a driver creates compacency and that leads to trouble.

I drive coaches part time and they are making things "under the guise of safety" to make the rigours of day to day route driving easier.

Now! when a bus or coach comes to a stop and the door is opened, the maxi brakes are instantly applied and similarly, when the door closes they are released unless of course they are manually applied.

Recently a Busabout driver in West Hoxton Sydney, parked his bus on the side of the road outside his depot and opened the door to get out. After he got out he walked around the front of the bus and put his hand through the window to close/release the door, but guess what? the maxis or park brake had only been on because the door was open.

He walked away and within 15 minutes the bus was parked, rear first inside Hoxton Park/Austral Post Office about 200m down and across the road.

That's technology for you, makes us very reliant on it and in this case, could have caused a loss of life.

And you don't get much change out of half a mill for a new bus.

Cheers, D