SAU Community

How To Undo Gearbox Filler Plug?

ZENNON

Hey guys,

Need to change my gearbox oil but having trouble undoing the filler plug.

It is very tight so I will need to get the breaker bar on there but not sure how...

it is a square bolt... is there a special socket for this or anything? Or do people just use spanners/shifters?

gallery_31383_1505_66075.jpg

For the record i have already tried: 1 spanner, 1 shifter, 2 spanners, 1 spanner & hammer, 1 shifter & hammer

I will give it a little spray and let it sit overnight and then try again but in the meantime..

any advice would be appreciated!!

-Zennon

Edited by ZENNON

Hate to say it but thats exactly why you try take the filler off first dude.

That way incase you cant get it off you can take your car somewhere and get them to get it off, at the moment its stuck on there and you cant even drive somewhere to get help.

Have you searched around for a square socket?

cheers

Hate to say it but thats exactly why you try take the filler off first dude.

errr... yeah i will :laugh:

Have you searched around for a square socket?

no but i do know what i need...

need a single square 17mm 1/2" drive socket... any ideas?? Do they exist?? Repco?

Edit: Found a Snap-On ones but only in inches so not right size...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?t...re=snapon-store

smallest they haev is 3/8's which is like 19mm or something

Edited by ZENNON

hmmm thats not original they come with 1/2" female not 1/2" male.

Anyway....get the biggest strongest spanner you can find on it (1/2" or whatever size it is). The find an even bigger ring spanner (any size) and put the ring over the other end of the first spanner so you get a much longer lever.

Make sure you are pushing away from any solid object because you will either:

* crack the filler bolt

* break the first spanner.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

Mate, just put some strength into it. If you're not strong enough, get stronger, come back in a few months and do again. Or get someone stronger.

I just did mine, and while it was so tight that I felt the blood vessels in my head were going to explode when i was undoing it, I got it eventually.

• 4 weeks later...
Mate, just put some strength into it. If you're not strong enough, get stronger, come back in a few months and do again. Or get someone stronger.

I just did mine, and while it was so tight that I felt the blood vessels in my head were going to explode when i was undoing it, I got it eventually.

i just pissed myself laughing so hard

what type of socket do you put in the drain plug anyways?

BTW don't do this, the gearstick goes into the transfer case not the gearbox :(

since when? :rofl: mine does!

and id know - pulled the gearbox out on the weekend and put it back yesterday :(

(you must be talking about GTRs.... not that johnGTS-t or black33gtst or MANWHORE has 4wds) :mellow:

umm yes sorry I am talking about GTR, GTST may be different (probably is since its the same length)

yeah definately different - only four wheel drives have transfer cases :thumbsup:

good to see people helping though (thats why SAU is so awesome)

yeah duncan sorry was talking about gtst = no transfer case so he could of jus filled through gearstick

yeah the guy who rebuilt my gearbox actually told me to just do that!

• 1 month later...

edited: ahhh so we just use the the 1/2" drive from any 1/2" ratchet...... soooo easy.

by the way, mine had glue all around the thread and i got it off without a breaker bar or any help.....it was hard, but not that hard girls!!

Edited by made_guy